the matrix comes of age

i can say that if you are trying to experience enter the matrix with reloaded you should do game first then movie because otherwise the movie will be temporarily erased from your brain

it’s kind of wild how enter the matrix implies that the monica belluci kiss scene happens at least twice and the seraph fight test happens like 3 times during these events but it’s definitely okay if you just think to yourself that they are programs so they are just acting programatically

also if you happen to be experiencing all of this media in order it is absolutely wild how niobe/ghost’s ridiculously over the top action movie setpieces are just kind of shit that happens in the background

niobe is punching agents out of planes in hand to hand combat and personally dodging the swarm of smiths. agents in ETM are to agents in the matrix as the borg in tng are to the borg in voyager i guess

found it interesting that even through static and distorted ETM uses footage from flight of the osiris and kevin michael richardson as the actor for thaddeus. just this weird little element where these out of date graphics are supposed to straight up be real people who the flesh and blood actors know.

you have to accept the old squaresoft cg layer, the polished hollywood filmmaking layer, and the ancient ps2 graphics layer as all “real” to the story and it’s kind of wild.

sparks the operator of the logos, who appears to be natural born human, talks about having a death wish as going “full bronson” which is just another of the wachowskis wild 20th century tough guy idioms that these things are full of

ghost and trinity being brother and sister (freed the same day) and how their personalities are kinda both weirdly aloof is maybe my favorite weird little character bit from ETM and is just another thing that makes me think everything after the first movie should have been a tv show (an animatrix short about it at least woulda been nice)

funniest part of ETM is all the vampires and goblins and shit u gotta fight

some weird person should definitely extract all the dialogue from that and just make it cg animated and fanedit it into and unwatchable 4 hour version of reloaded

watching reloaded you can really see some of the early hints of what would come from a cinematography standpoint with speed racer. everyone talks about the burly brawl as weird cg effect, but the highway chase has wildly complex compositing including a lot of early “impossible shots” of cameras going under trucks and whatnot. during the motorcycle chase part it is out of control and i remember in theaters being mesmerized by it.

also the speed racer editing style of weird exposition while going backwards and forwards in time, like a heist movie in somebody’s dream, has sort of a prototype version in the whole attack in the power plant sequence

it’s interesting how detective story from the animatrix seems to take place in the matrix but wants to use the weird terry-gilliam/dark city esque steampunk tech from zion

the haunted house short is still the best animatrix short, but “matriculated” where they plug in a sentinel to a construct and have designed their own weird creative psychadelic vr landscape is way, way more interesting conceptually than a lot of what the movies offer

that vr zone, combined with the zion air traffic control white space, and the implied hot babe interface of the zion archive in the second renaissance make for a very complex and fascinating view of UI of real worlders?

16 Likes

This still blows me away every time I rewatch Speed Racer; they feel compelled to include the exposition dumps television shows use because dialogue is cheaper than action but supercharge Scorsese’s montage-as-a-movie techniques beceause Speed’s gotta go quickly

2 Likes

you know how cypher wants to be an actor

just wondering what is the deal with the creative industry in the matrix

is there like 500 additional years worth of late 20th century styled movies/music/television/games/books etc

are they constantly remaking star wars with different actors or directors or something

are these all flushed down the toilet when it reboots?

is there a person or a program who is saving all of this media?

3 Likes

Do you think Reloaded tries to answer this? That cave raves are a sort of primal culture that can survive in a direct human fashion, but the pop culture inside the Matrix is corporate and thus reconstructed by computers/systems as an echo of a true culture that humans once touched?

2 Likes

The craziest part of Enter the Matrix in my vague memory was the whole cheat code side game where you’re hacking the console?

1 Like

the trick is that zion is also rebooted/destroyed every hundred years before the events of the movie so “what culture is preserved” becomes a doubly complex question. like was the “one” before neo just into cave orgy industrial or whatever?

it really is a good small adventure game inside of a bad game. like there were hacking games in 2003 but the ease of use, requiring it to work on a controller really was sort of ahead of it’s time now in the age of fake retro desktop/interface games

3 Likes

I assumed the argument they were making was that Cave Orgy Industrial was the actual root culture, or the most basic art people make, and the first to re-emerge. It would reflect the early-00s tribal culture aesthetics and rave scene, certainly

3 Likes

felt a real warm and fuzzy nostalgic feeling when the architect talks about the grotesqueries of humanity and shows hitler followed by george w bush real quick

11 Likes
1 Like

but didn’t they die???

maybe there’s save scumming in this build of the Matrix

7 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

how long until the raid dudes get cast

Too long

2 Likes

I hope they stick that vacuum thing on somebody’s head to remove “brain worms” or they have to cure someone of irony poisoning from being too plugged in

3 Likes

So is Lilly Wachowski just not at all involved? Her Twitter bio says “former filmmaker” :frowning:

said she wanted a break after season 1 of the show they did and that’s been it from her

keanubereaves

7 Likes

i watched the first one at a cinema last night for its 20th anniversary. it holds up! also turns out it’s really horny

4 Likes