The Last of Us (Spoilers)

This is a really good point and it is going to take me another day or two to work out how it is changing my perceptions.

Half thought how much is lost in a game when an amatuer shmuck strings together the game cutscenes and calls it The Game The Movie Complete on youtube? How much emotional resonnance? How much story flow?

We have the professional example of Shenmue which well is terrible. Delivery and execution of whatever story they were trying to tell laid bare was going to fail. the story is boy buys boat ticket and gets on boat.

I watched one of Adis videos. tLOU has more going on in gameplay than I gave it credit for. so i guess I just have to throw up my hands and go but I didnt like it.

I think pretty much everything I wrote is decidedly non-academic.

I get this but it is also a dangerous standard because you could apply this exact same set of words to the worst Ubisoftian crap. Assassinā€™s Creed is a vague mushy mass of mechanics all swirling around the concept of making you Feel Like a Badass. At some point, developmental rigor is required.

1 Like

Second response to this: then we are the same side? The impression it made on me was without emotion*. The thoughts it produced were Iā€™ve felt more from similar stories in film. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m actively conciously comparing everything to everything else, but if i start doing that it means the medium is failing to engage me. The illusion collapses and suddenly Iā€™m looking at the environment and the character modeling. Iā€™m thinking about all these things and not ā€œWhat are Joel and Ellie going to do nowā€ or ā€œHow am I going to accomplish the next task the video game has given me?ā€

I have no idea. I never wrote ā€œDonā€™t have any expectations.ā€ If you didnā€™t have even the smallest sort of expectation going into an experience, that would probably mean youā€™d be technically braindead. I just havenā€™t had the impulse in forever to put the videogames I enjoy into this relativistic context of Videogames vs. All Other Media because I like what they do on their own terms. My favorite videogames/game soundtracks are fine as they are, in my opinion.

TLOU is so far down the movie/TV-like part of the spectrum that it almost demands to be compared with them. For some time thereā€™s been a squeeze whereby movies are getting dense with CG and motion capture, whereas what can be done in real-time is catching up; this is an old observation by now, but that trend shows no sign of stopping. TLOU can only really be discussed as an interesting point on that continuum.

I think this topic will become fresh and interesting again with the emergence of VR. Even without true interactivity, VR goggles can offer qualitatively new cinematic experiences, and there is no way to do VR without gamelike real-time rendering. And once as a moviemaker you have a game engine at your disposal anyway (though primarily to allow camera head-tracking), why not introduce some interactive elements here and there? If VR proves a success, the remaining distance between static cinematic experiences and game genres, and the different development staffs and fanbases, might increasingly collapse.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think falling into that category is inherently a good thing. I would also group david cage shit into it as well. but I do think itā€™s a more ā€œmatureā€ place for the industry to be. a good game must have rigor applied to its mechanics regardless. but imo the best stuff happening right now is pushing the envelope of this new paradigm, which allows in lazy noodly stuff like assassinā€™s creed.

A post was merged into an existing topic: uncle charted

You can call Dina ā€œher loverā€, Naughty Dog, itā€™s okay.

1 Like

even so

is it me or are there a lot of cis white lesbians in games nowadays

like itā€™s still representation I guess but itā€™s also like, the most box-ticking, least threatening form of queerness available, I feel like itā€™s barely even a stretch for all the fuckin dads writing every other part of these games to be able to access ā€œwant to kiss a girl,ā€ and frankly I think itā€™s like, less narrative work to do this to the present standard than to actually try to portray even male affection (or affection for a male) critically and honestly. this is just excising tension.

like every part of this story is immediately tired but I wonder if they didnā€™t also have to have some of the most well worn relationships out there right now

2 Likes

So I guess Joel isnā€™t a ghost like people were thinking? I was hoping that was still an option so I could make ā€œghost dadā€ jokes but whatever.

I think this looks really good! I bet itā€™ll be as fun as the previous game.

honestly the first game, while a good game, was such a fuckin downer i donā€™t really know if i have it in me to retread the same thematic ground

re: queer choices, keep in mind that this game will be played by a lotta dude bros so it will be plenty edgy for them, plus i donā€™t really trust them to handle any other queerness with much fidelity so this is probably for the best

5 Likes

Wasnā€™t the guy in Philly gay and whoops he is also sneaky and untrustworthy?

bill? oh yeah. nah he was a good guy in the end. actually they handled his character pretty well i thought.

Itā€™s w. earl brown so heā€™s a good guy

hey this is a good time for me to suggest you watch our old pal adilegianā€™s video essay on TLoU part 1

3 Likes

That this is and likely will always remain unfinished is a huge personal tragedy

2 Likes

The level of visual detail is mind boggling. Up there with Red Dead 2 in terms of fidelity.

1 Like