uncle charted

I genuinely was not interested in this one until the most recent round of prerelease media when I saw a scene that involved a big brawl across cliffs with a grappling hook and I am a sucker for grappling hooks.

They’re saying the right things to make me buy it.

A friend preordered stellaris for me as a birthday present though so maybe I’ll at least wait a couple weeks

I haven’t followed UC4 at all but I played a little of the MP beta and it seemed quaint. You’ve got grappling hooks so you can swing around the maps which obviously now feature more death pits. For some reason you also have super moves where you can summon magic turrets or AI minions. But I recall liking the vertical scale of old UC MPs so it should be a decent distraction to come to every now and then. Apparently the co-op mode is even coming back at some point.

I never played UC3 but it’s been a while since I’ve played a big AAA roller coaster so I guess I’ll pick up UC4 next week.

what… what is this??

isn’t there an HD remaster of the first three? is it any good? always wanted to play the whole series

I think that’s what mothman’s shots come from, the PS4 release of the first one

just play the original release of the second one, it costs very little money and it looks good enough on the original hardware that playing an upscale job would seem to cheapen it. you won’t want to play 4 after playing 1 and 3.

I just played through the PS4 HD remasters and those screens are definitely not from that.

I never played the PS3 versions but the HD remaster seemed fine to me.

Uncharted 2 is definitely the best of the 3, but I actually enjoyed Uncharted 1 as well mostly just because it wasn’t a cover shooter.

1 Like

The remastered collection came with my PS4, so I just replayed 3 recently and actually my opinion of it went way up. I think it has the best core mechanics of the series. But the setpieces aren’t quite as memorable and the writing isn’t as good / isn’t funny enough and so I still think 2 is the superior game overall (since that’s what you’re there for, really). But I wouldn’t dismiss 3 out of hand any more.

2 Likes

is the first one bad or something

it’s just the weakest, and redundant. these are like, 10-hour indiana jones movies; you don’t need that much of them.

1 Like

I’m into it for escapism. feel like I need to be able to follow the plot and stuff

nah these are at their best when the storytelling is in medias res; when a character shows up and suddenly she’s THE OTHER WOMAN you have absolutely no need to know more than that

oh ok

My biggest piece of advice for playing UC is that while it is a thirps, it ain’t Gears of War. The much-maligned highly-automatic platforming is actually in service of the combat, not the platforming segments so much. The game wants you to move, a lot. The AI laser-focuses on you after you pop out of cover in one spot and kill a guy, but is half-blind when trying to track you moving from cover to cover. Jump! Climb! It’s fun.

Uncharted 1’s shooting parts just last a bit too long. The games after that do a better job of integrating the combat into the movement of the setpieces.

Does anyone have that video from the UC4 MP beta where everyone in the match just grapples onto the same stalactite and swing around in circles for three minutes like flying scooters?

I have no desire to play another scripted AAA game ever again, but I’m almost tempted to pick up U4 just for the gorgeous optional filters. There’s a cell shaded mode and a Sega CD FMV mode, among others.

1 Like

yeah i’ve been keeping this in mind as a follow-up to the last of us and have managed to maintain hype just through that

man, though, i never played 3 at all, maybe i should do that

Well remember UC3 was the result of a staff split within Naughty Dog, the dudes who made UC2 so great are the ones who worked on TLOU and the leftovers did UC3. Which is why UC3 is narratively underwhelming, which is a shame because really that’s the primary reason you play the games.

I’d say that UC3 is more fun to actually play than TLOU though.

The one lengthy gameplay video I watched of Uncharted 4 (some months ago) made it look like they took the right lessons from TLOU re: the application of sneaks to fights so I’m cautiously optimistic U4 will take things to a different and interesting place mechanically.

Within its niche.