the greatest generation(monster hunter generations)

you know i’ll hunt glavenus with you, arone

Sounds like the G Expansion got announced just a friend and I cleared HR7 last night to get to the unlocked ranking.

hell yeah

barioth, barroth and deviant diablos, baby

[spoiler]not that anybody cares about my critiques, but Gen’s got a variety of faults that the likely traditional expansion notion of fu / 4U will just leap over. huge numbers of village gathering quests with high clearing incentives, carried-up maps weaknesses in connectivity / redundancy / dead space, deviant ticket grinding locking out even basic armour use from them in exaggerated template quests, bizarre roster pacing / nostalgic choices like velociraptor 'dromes / early elder trio / late seltas / zamtrios / agnaktor. at least the notion of a g-rank will mean upgrading for high armour won’t throw out ideal damage dynamics and thus fix up e.g. nakarkos, introduce more of these “skip over previous incongruencies” difficulty-spike deviants, and pull out another idealized flavour climax encounter like gogmazios. still, they introduced the second generation desert, which had terrible zone boundaries + overly large spaces + monsters travelling several zones at once every time…

of course, I’ve been playing mhp3rd for a while with a friend and recently bought Generations while it was on sale, so who gives a fuck about how things are unless they run out of patience for them as many never will.[/spoiler]

1 Like

I’m gonna buy this and no one will play with me, just like the last game, because I’m a weirdo with a J3DS

oh man, is 2 desert in the trailer? i missed it

i guess i’d probably gently rebuff most of those generations criticisms, though really i just think they’re all minor annoyances at worst and that generations is comfortably great despite them. also i’d take deviant quests over expedition quests any day

also, hey, if anybody is still playing/starts playing generations, as always, hmu. i’m still floating around in hr7 hunting a few deviljho every other night or whatever~~~

(sakurina just figure out a way to play the english version plz)

I honestly loved expeditions. I loved having a shuffled around playground to fight the monsters in. I have a lot of complaints about the ‘structure’ of Generations outside of the gameplay bits. I really feels like an inbetween game. 4U did a lot right in building up monsters coming up, only one or two gathering tutorial quests and a good selection of single player quests to get almost anything you needed when you wanted to touch up some side weapons. I also miss sending sailors out to get fish and treasure for me in Tri/3U to keep my wallet fat with crowns and jewels.

1 Like

drop-dead exhausted of repeating my gripes with 4U’s structuring (inherited high rank limbo, subspecies differentiation and dispersal, postgame focusing on superlative single targets in arenas), but either of the games could be critiqued for pacing and roster choices with enough highlights to paper over such questions in either; generations just had more obvious holes. expeditions could have been healthier if they had connective maps instead of chains, and if the guild quest levelling / drop rates didn’t heavily favour select slim targets in endless exclusionary grinding. deviant quests could have abanoned a numbered ticket system for actually relying on the many systems (partbreaking, harder quest choices, veggie elder tickets, shared targets) for rares. whatever. both systems have their strengths, it’s just frustrating the formula keeps seeing adjustments and improvements with their own holes.

So guys what’s a good non-portable MonHun to start with for a complete MonHun noob?

3U still has the best pacing of a roster in the series, the awkward base defense boost isn’t so bad to start with, and it’s is also kind of the most recent of the spare few games in the series put on a non-portable. One might be able to get Portable 3rd HD running with a bunch of effort here and there (and a handful of Japanese reading knowledge) also if one doesn’t have a Wii U. Otherwise there’s just not much available until whatever years ahead when Capcom puts out MH5 for the Switch.

I was going to type up some stuff about trying to not be so critically-cynical in this thread and then link that to how much absurd detail goes into the action in these games that sponsors it and whatever but whatever I’ll just point out fundamentals from my ever-so-studied veins in this series as people should actually use this thread again for general discussion.

Yeah i’m a rookie hunter too and i’ve started with 3U (the 3DS version, but i think the only difference is WiiU has HD and no 3D effect, natch). i’m on the 3rd tier of quests, about 15 hours in, and so far the learning/difficulty curves have been note-perfect. It’s also probably going to be cheap (my copy was $15 used)!

The Wii U also has online servers! Even if they’re probably half-dead at this point. I will always grouse about how it’s so easy for multiplayer to not teach the player skills like single-player does for this game though, so whatever.

This thread could also do with some MHXX knowledge? Official announcements say the game’s getting back Nerscylla, Barioth, Barroth, the Basarios / Gravios Family, Congalala, Diablos, and Lao-Shan Lung. DLC Data-mining from the recent Japanese demo also shows Giadrome, the Fatalis trio, Raging Brachy, Chaos Magala, and the inevitable new final boss, while rumours focus on Shen Gaoren and Yama Tsukami. This basically means every non-setpiece-focused monster bar four isn’t in it, though Qurupeco and Gigginox are great compared to their peers and it’s quite terrible they’re absent. At least the Glavenus-skulled Shogun Ceanataur Deviant is perfection.

Some time or another I should throw out a list of what a best-ofs game should actually constraint itself to and do some monster-by-monster minutiae reviews.

Ah, I should’ve mentioned I don’t have a U.

How is Tri? Or the ps2 one?

I do have a PSP and a threeds but man I so rarely pull those out.

tri is perfectly nice but it’s sparse compared to the others, it’s hard not to recommend a 3ds game instead

definitely not a ps2 entry, i don’t think

(play generations with me)

Tri/3U is probably my favorite for making you feel like you’re part of a village and helping it grow. I just loved doing free hunts for stress free hunting and getting materials/points for the village to feed back into services that can help you hunt better. Sending sailors to get jewels and crowns for you to sell was a great way to stay solvent and sometimes get a nice surprise back from a hunt.

Sending cats to go hunting just felt tedious and I wasn’t feeling the management aspect of it.

1 Like

As someone who can’t stand playing with randos, I may have to get the 3DS version of 3U and play through it again after all the praise it’s getting. Like, I beat it, but with 600 hours over three different titles now under my belt, I may be able to appreciate it more.

do it and we can, idk, compare notes i guess. wish it had online D:

i am strangely tempted to buy the original and screw around with it. It looks like a game i would have really been into had i got my hands on it as a teen.

you know what does have online

is it generations

1 Like

YEAH

3 Likes