the greatest generation(monster hunter generations)

MHXX is out in Japan

Final boss アトラル・カ / Atoraru-Ka is exquisite

I don’t know how I feel about the mainline series permitting transmogs (“Glamour”) in G-Rank when making a good look from random messes was nice and emphasized how arduously earnt armour is compared to random drops in mmos

Lao Shan-Lung got a fancier arena and all of two attacks and is still the most boring monster completely obsoleted by the Mohrans but nostalgia demands using him after two generations without Lao and two generations of whales (also I guess it helps Atorarau-Ka)

It’s fucking Monster Hunter on console + PC with seamless locales and another attempt to integrate verticality beyond edge leaping / aerial attack spam (and also some nice minor improvements of blindspots) and a content reset of assets for everything besides Rathamascots and skeletons* so they can actually get away from old gen monsters being so stilted and limited and

the potential is so beautiful, getting away from the same infinite self-iteration

Who gives a fuck about the rest of E3

[details=*] Look, the re-use of skeletons is fine as long as the content reset lets them actually deliberately use them for new things, there’s a literal decade of clear differences between Yian Kut-ku + Gravios vs. Seregios + Astalos and it dramatically shows.

…also, I don’t care about picking about the ramifications of displayed more-complicated mount because mount has pretty much been broken or silly outside of X.
[/details]

3 Likes

Some MH World facts I picked up from tweets from a Capcom Europe community manager at E3 (@SocksyBear):

• They are targeting solid 30 fps across all platforms
  • Still based on the MT Framework engine
  • All 14 weapons are still available (praise insect glaive)
  • Since Generations/MHX(X) are a side series, the hunter arts system is not returning but other systems will be there in its place (unclear about hunting styles or whatever they were called in EN version, but I assume not)
  • The game is not “open world” like some are reporting; there are still multiple separate maps you can spawn into, but within the map, the concept of zones with loading borders is gone

all of e3 is this announcement for me ok

3 Likes

If you read this and went “huh?” like I did, Socksy Bear says no details on the PC version. Capcom’s PC stuff is usually good about unlocked frame rates and arbitrary resolutions.

it me

1 Like

No FROM Software info = I guess I’ll get excite about this.

1 Like

I’m still surprised from didn’t cut a trailer, Sony must have known their lineup was pretty light and from’s reputation is so strong right now that would’ve singlehandedly fixed it

Monster Hunter World is basically exactly what I’ve wanted from the franchise but assumed I’d never get. Yay!

1 Like

Apparently map size is up to 2.5x larger than previous games and you can use potions while moving now

was wondering what your thoughts were gonna be as I watched that trailer

from what I hear, you can drink potions while running, without having to do the obligatory post-potion flex. that sounds like an insane change but I’m curious to see if that’s emblematic of a greater change of pacing or what?

also you can watch big monsters hunt smaller ones and bring them back to their babies to eat.

the trailer shows camo and tracks following and tethers and grappling hooks and flooding and…!!! rather than just adding monsters they’re expanding on what hunting a monster is like, wrt to both the necessary tools and the ecosystem and UGH IT’S SO EXCITING I’M GONNA BUY IT TWICE.

Yeah this looks like what i imagined Monster Hunter was like when i first heard of it, as opposed to what it actually is. And what it actually is is wonderful, but, boy!! Boy!!! BOY!!!

this is my pick of E3 too

yeah hands down this is the official Grim Win of E3 for me. This is filled with dumb MGSV levels of extra features and mechanics that I can’t possibly utilize all of until I have died 1000x times through critical fuck ups. camoflauge?? monster hunter as an open world dinosaur sim?? yeah sign me up. sign me the f*ck up. fu**in sign me the *uck up

that it’s MT framework and has a grapple hook makes me think “oh, wow, they finally made lost planet work as a game”

1 Like

what was lost planet really except the best combination of monster hunter and third person mans. where’s my lost planet 2 re-release for the PS4, Capcom

is Capcom even still a company

1 Like

There was a JP live stream this morning and everything I saw looked real good.

(stream starts pretty far into the video, like 20+ minutes)

Some thoughts:

• I was expecting to be bothered by the damage numbers, but I was not. sounds like you can disable them, so nbd

• i’m also not offended at them shortening the potion/gathering animations. to me their charm ran out after a couple generations, just let me get the thing

• Grappling hook looks like a great addition, longer range than the lost planet grappling hook and slower. looks more for navigating terrain rather than hooking monsters?

• i was also getting lost planet vibes from the gun/look feel. everything shoots faster. I used to play gunner as a side-hobby but this makes me wanna play gunner more.

• The long sword combo finisher looks so dope with that red effect line.

• watched a hammer dude slide down sloped terrain while charging, then did a crazy charged air-combo on a monster. i then thew my hands up and verbally exclaimed, “YOOO”

• calling the other hunters via the flare gun is a really cool thing, i hope they show up that fast in the game

• going back to a camp mid-hunt for a brew and an equipment change is something i’ve wanted for a while. plus fast-travel to camp!

• why didn’t they show more combat in the e3 trailer? it was just a hunter running around and it looked dumb. this looks like some bonafide monster hunter, and i want it now

I am really excited to play a monster hunter game again on a large screen with delicious graphics. the last MH game I played the most was Portable 3rd HD, and a lot of that was due to having a console version. Even on a 3DS XL I get hand-cramps after an hour or two of playing, which has really kept me from enjoying the recent hand-held entries more.

Now I just have to survive till 2018.

5 Likes

SUCH HYPE.

1 Like

this looks so fuckin choice

1 Like

this is all i care about

i can be done after this

psyched to play with you guys and also with my locals who all hate playing on 3ds

wow lord

Part of me is going to miss gathering in a room with three other players sitting around the campfire so to speak but I can’t wait to play a MonHon made for the modern day. Gunning looks amazing. That visual impact does a lot to sell that you’re shooting something with power behind it. Almost looks like they’re weaving some elements of the hunter style in. Saw the long sword to a spirit combo into a stab and then do a big jump slash.

1 Like