the greatest generation(monster hunter generations)

I like the remote melancholy tone of some areas in the MHFU maps, but they’re definitely much more convoluted in mapwork than is effective or reasonable for hunting down / running away from wandering / fleeing monsters. Parts like the peak of the snowy mountains, the bleak reflective swamp, the open forests of the hills- of course, each contrasted with the constant climb, the minimal setting variation / wide field connectors, and the clearly foolish fights in the tight corridor for those maps. As a nostalgic series celebration I doubt they were going to do the drastic reforms they previously succeeded with in the first generation desert, but using only one base camp shortcut in the fourth gen maps after third gen’s constant use of them definitely feels like a step back (and so is how there’s one central monster point for the Sunken Hollow / Volcanic Hollow / Dunes).

Hmm. Perhaps something easily accessible in personal opinion:

• Misty Peaks > Deserted Island = Ancestral Steppe = [probably Jurassic Frontier] > Verdant Hills / Forest and Hills
  • Primal Forest = Flooded Forest > Great Forest > Jungle [2nd] = Old Jungle [1st]
  • Sunken Hollow > Marshlands / Swamp [2nd] > Old Swamp [1st]
  • Sandy Plains > Dunes >> Desert [2nd] = Old Desert [1st]
  • Tundra > Frozen Seaway > Arctic Ridge / Snowy Mountains
  • Volcano [3rd] > Old Volcano [1st] > Volcanic Hollow > Volcano [2nd]

Eesh, what a success rate.

I am split in optimism for the next generation, between the fourth generation maps branching out as they do + the inability to fit Heaven’s Mount in those archetypes versus the arena presence in them + how the nostalgia of this game fits in many variations on the mold of slightly-mountainous green terrain with running water. There’s also a bit much in terms of individual climactic arenas used quite a bit in the fourth generation, though that I’m rather unsure about beyond hoping there’s more midgame accomodations next time around (and there’s nothing new to the Tower / Lava Island / Polar Zone / Battlegrounds either), too. The Everwood was also disappointing for randomization being applied to a straight line instead of a small grid or web of three to six spots.

Seregios did its big ol’ crescent air dive and I jumped off it. Have switched to adept style in a vain attempt to chase off the feeling that I am a giant fraud :frowning:

Free evade +3 is still pretty fraudulent.

It . . . it was on sale.

What do folks look like currently? I’m in the process of boringly going from normal Rathalos to Rathalos S. Self sharpening Seregios switch axe continues to be a workhorse.

1 Like

when i use bow i look like this, which i hate

and when i use sword and shield i look like this, which i think fucking rules

Is this game supposed to be that ugly?

Like, that looks worse than Monster Hunter Wii which was from forever ago and yeah I realize while typing this that this is a 3DS game which falls somewhere between Wii and dogshit, but seriously why the fuck is this game on 3DS it makes it so ugly?

2 Likes

Having Monster Hunter on a portable works out in many ways, but I am sure others could have argued for Vita. The game is involved enough that in motion most of it looks fine (beyond area terrain textures, perhaps), but the floating hopes of a Fifth Generation on NX are desperately hoped for at this point.

I presume it’s also just aesthetic to take photos of the 3DS instead of using the Miiverse for (.jpg) screenshots.

it will be great day when these games go back to being on real consoles, but yeah, it really doesn’t look so bad in motion

It does look good in motion - Capcom definitely understands animation and all that.

But here’s a .jpg screenshot that I took of the demo from miiverse:

Not great, not horrible, but TINY

Gen added alot of good touches and effects to the animations and actions. There’s sparks when you grind a whetstone on your weapon, there’s little blue dots on zinogre’s back to show the fulgurebugs and other various hit effects now. They really help liven things up and convey that things are happening very well.

REAL MEN DON’T NEED GIANT VFX

virtua fighter for life

I’ll post my Hunter soon. I haven’t upgraded my armor set in like 50 hours of playing.

anybody still playing this who wants to play with an Internet pseudo-stranger or two? my fleshbuddies are dropping like flies

hr6 over here

I’ve been trying to clear Village Quests and let me tell you: it fucking sucks, I fucking hate how much collecting garbage you have to do to actually unlock the 6 star urgent, holy fuck why would you do this, this is easily the worst single player Monhun this generation.

The trader cat had raw meat and I bought so much raw meat.

I’m at HR5 I think. I feel like I’m way behind all the randoms online but still want to bop monsters. My code is 3351-4069-7842.

hell yeah, mine’s 4940-6734-6820

pm or post or something if there’s a certain time you want to hunt! because there’s no good way to contact people through the game without randomly happening to see that they’re online. i’m usually around 3-4 nights a week and up for hunting lots of those! totally join up if you see me on ever!

this goes for anyone!

I’m on the SB Discord a lot. My name is StanHansen. It is a good place to be cuz I always forget about the 3DS friend list!

I’m hovering around HR5 currently with my IRL hunt buddies. Really like this one flow I’ve got going. Made the bahnabra set because it’s classy as heck and I’m using a paralyzing SnS adept style with shoryugeki II as my art. Start of doing normal things but when I feel the paralyze is about to trigger I’ll apply stamina oil and when they get paras-stunned I’ll start chopping at the head and build KO. Use Shoryu if I have it. SnS adept attack also builds mount damage so I’m able to do three things to create openings for the rest of the team. Can’t wait till I can get a set of Dreadqueen armor and really pound status damage into monsters.

1 Like

Wow, Hyper Zinogre kind of came out of nowhere and kicked me in the teeth. Didn’t help that I was at thunder res -10, but it was nice being cautious and afraid again.

2836-0882-8608 be me if anyone wants to make with the hunting. Feeling pulled in a bunch of directions as to what to hunt. Dreadking feels really nice as a baseline blademaster set with the combination skill unlocked, but I’m also interested in starting a status set. Maybe some hellblade stuff because blast weapons are cool? Also want to get back into hunting horn since it’s so rare, and everyone loves the horn player. Arrrrrr.

hell yeah I’ll hunt

I want to do some dreadking too yeeeeah

I guess I’m a little further back, but the last time I played I did a couple hyper kecha and a couple deviljho, and even that was a nice difficulty bump. pretty hype to spend real time with deviants and deeper hyper cuts

The solo hunting experience in this game is pretty dire compared to 4U. Since this game cuts out at High Rank for multi hunting, the single player is mostly low rank with a small handfull of High Rank leveled quests. So if you want HR materials of monsters that aren’t in those solo quests, you’ve got to either friend up or slog against them in the multi hub. Thankfully I’m at a point where I can take most HR5/6 quests in about 15-20 minutes but it’s still irksome. I haven’t looked it up at all but I don’t know if the offline hub is tweaked any less for solo hunts but it’d be nice. Also, why does every glavenus weapon need a plate after the second level upgrade? I thought the reason behind the part score bar was to eliminate this kind of upgrade walling. When I first heard of it I thought it would mean that if you didn’t have the plate or super rare item you could make up for with mass quantities of other parts.