the greatest generation(monster hunter generations)

ok I just had my first training mission with the circle pad pro!

I’m really happy with it – just having the extra surface area to grip helps my hands not cramp. I almost wish that there was another control stick on the left side as well – having my thumbs perpendicular to the rest of my hand seems to aid to the cramping issue

After a year of playing with it, I’m not a fan of the N3DS c-stick. Thinking of doing this mod:

Impressive how well the PSP nub fits with the N3DS form factor.

1 Like

so I’m only on 2 star quests but man it seems like they’re taking a long time to get to the big monsters! only velocidromes and stuff like that

It really annoys me how most of the 2-3 star quests are fetch quests. It’s just all filler.

Yeah, I’ve pretty much just stopped bothering with anything other than requests/key quests. While I guess the idea is that it’s a bunch of room to try out different weapon/style combinations, just don’t feel the need to slaughter 10 more genprey or whatever.

Aerial switch axe continues to feel like cheating.

Aerial style in general on monsters that are usually super turtle-y feels gamebreaking. It’s a relief.

1 Like

This game feels way easier in the early ranks than previous games. Some of the weaker monsters don’t even flee once. They just stand there and get whacked.

yeah but you try that snowbaron lagombi yet daaaaamn

Deviants as sort-of-Rare-Subspecies for more monsters and giving them genuine damage numbers is inspired. They’re also left off in a hell of a grind outside of the main quest chains (the armour from fighting them needs the entire set at once and requires equipment levelling to even provide their unique benefits), and the roster choices are pained (there’s still Gold and Silver Raths for some reason, why Azuros over Volvidon for another upgrade to that skeleton model, why mostly just inflate the size of Tetsucabra and Daimyo Hermitaur instead of providing new tricks to previous successful Tigerstripe Zamtrios and Shogun Ceanataur).

It reminds me of how Fatalis in MH4U is a genuinely good fight through added weakpoints and huge damage and much faster / less stilted movements. Part of that reminding is how nobody fights them in the purgatory between High Rank and G Rank, and then in G Rank post game it’s a 40% success rate with randoms because it’s brutally scaled and in groups it’s plausible to not learn dodging / controlled aggression.

Aerial def feels like the style to chose if you like to keep active and constantly attack. You sacrifice some ability to do big damage to specific body parts but you just get to keep stringing jumps and mounts for a very high action game style.

Ah, that c-stick mod looks interesting. I’m replaying MH4U right now because the release of Gen made me realize that I kinda gave up the previous game for reasons I had forgotten - then I remembered that the reason was my hands just dislike portables, so I bought this thing. Cheap, holds 2 games, and has a pop-out stand. Recommended for anybody else like me who literally stops playing games because their darn n3ds xl digs into their palms or whatever.

Oh man, thanks for linking that! My hands have been cramping too - I’m totally going to buy this!

1 Like

Took till about Village 5 :star: but it finally hit that point where you get into that loop of “I wanna kill this monster but if I kill this monster now I can kill that monster faster” in regards to weapon upgrades and options available. Right now I’m kind of comfortable in the two crab armors, hermitaur for lancing and other shield weapons and cenetaur for crits and staying sharper longer. I need to spend some time with adept style but right now I’ve got a good team comp with my housemates: one a HBG to pump damage and sometimes paralyze the target, a hammer/hunter horn for stuns and buffs and me as aerial lance to stay in the monster face and go for mounts so the hammer can get those sweet concussions blows. Got a good thing going right now but I might finally look into evade lancing more seriously now since adept blocking removes the need of the guard skill to reduce block stun. Might still need guard up to block lasers and other ‘unblockable’ attacks.

I’ve hit the point that I usually do in MH games where I have no idea how I want to further upgrade my weapon because I’m not sure which path to go

I also don’t know whether it even matters until endgame because so far I’m pretty comfortable killing monsters without going into too many of my non-supply item stores

adept style is sooooo dope

i’ve got a group i’m playing with, but really only one of them is very consistent, so if any of y’all ever wanna hunt…!

Ugh, it’s kind of petty of me but I can’t really stand this thing being on the 3DS. The graphics in the psp versions looked a lot sharper, something about the texture filtering they used in 4 made my screen look like it was smeared with Vaseline. It felt like a step backwards. These beasts are beautifully crafted and I really crave to see them on a screen with a higher resolution.

1 Like

The graphical problem of the 3DS is not just the resolution and texture quality but even moreso the lack of antialiasing. Shipping hardware without antialiasing support in the year 2011 was a baffling move by Nintendo. It’s the most obvious way that the 3DS hardware architecture is garbage.

I’m enjoying the hell of out this new entry. Picked up a New 3DS XL, and have kept the 3D on as much as possible. I find the text easier to read when 3D is on because everything is sharper.

MH4U, at least, absolutely has antialiasing if you disable the 3d effect. I assume MHGen does, too, but I’ve just played the demo and only briefly because MH demos kinda suck.

But yeah, as for the graphical quality overall, I do feel like the MH games really struggle to ‘fit’ into the platform, mostly because of the low resolution, but also because of stuff like mipmapping that’s even present when running on the N3DS.

I really wish the series went to the Vita because it would’ve looked SO GORGEOUS.

Also I really wished they didn’t bring back any of the MHFU stages because they are UGLY, HUGE, BLAND, TERRIBLY DESIGNED. So many of them have ambiguous connection points that really needed repainting to make clearer. Also I hated MHFU.

I wish they ported Portable 3rd HD to Vita.

1 Like