The Factorio thread

Since @Mikey asked, I’ll share my impressions of this heck of a game.

Factorio is essentially a game about creating automated factories. The game starts with you stranded in the middle of an infinite, procedurally generated world and your objective is to survive long enough to launch a rocket into space with a satellite, ostensibly so you can get rescued. You do that by exploiting and consuming the planet’s resources in order to build everything you need for the satellite.

Factorio is currently in Early Access but it’s really stable and completely winnable. Not sure when is the date for the true release, but I don’t think it’s too far off.

Anyway, the game starts reminiscent of survival games. You build your tools and craft things by hand, chop down trees and mine ores manually. It soon becomes obvious that for the scale of your enterprise, doing things this way is inefficient and impractical, so you start automating stuff. You build conveyor belts to transport materials, set up a water pump and some boilers connected to a generator, feed coal to the boilers and you soon have electric power. With this you can power electric drills which in turn make mining more efficient, and subsequently smetling those ores into useable metal plates, which in turn are used as materials to build all sorts of machines.

The whole process starts by bootstrapping in this way. When you have a decent production going, you can start building labs to research new technologies. Labs run on some sort of science juice you also need to produce. More advanced technologies need more juice, and also more advanced kinds of juice that are harder to produce. The challenge is to build an automated system that can keep science going and your tech advancing towards the space rocket.

While you do this, you also have to defend against attacks from the local fauna. In the planet live these zerg-like creatures, and they get pissed off if you pollute their skies with the smoke from your coal smelters and boilers, so you have to build perimeter defenses with turrets, cement walls and so on to protect your precious factories. Of course, as your factory grows, you’ll need to automate delivery of ammo to the turrets and keep producing a steady amount of war machinery in addition to your other productive factories.

I don’t have a lot of experience with this whole aspect of the game because I’ve always played in peaceful mode. In peaceful mode, the biters (that’s how the cratures are called) don’t attack you unless you attack first. It used to be that for the more advanced technologies, you needed a material that could only be obtained by killing them, but since version 0.15 they’ve revamped the late-game science progression so now you can play till the “ending” (launching the rocket) and beyond completely peacefully.

(you can also eventually switch to clean energies like solar power)

0.15 also introduced more new options to transport fluids (you can put all sorts of liquids in barrels now and there’s a fuild wagon for trains) and also introduced nuclear energy, which is super poweful and probably meant for massive factories working at full capacity.

Did I mention that the game for the most part operates on a conservation of mass principle, so you’ll HAVE to deal with nuclear waste producls like spent fuel cells and non-enriched uranium isotopes. Also with empty barrels if you use those for transportation.

The game is a notorious time devourer. There’s always some aspect of your factory to optimize, some new thing to try, so if you like this sort of thing Factorio wil eat your days up. Be careful.

The main progression is through the science tech tree. Progression is linear at first, and there are some milestones you must hit. For example, everything dealing with manipulation of liquids, you can’t do “by hand” so you’ll need to create buildings that can process that for you. Refineries, tankers etc are necessary to produce sulfur and plastics, which are intermediate components of more advanced circuit boards and batteries, for example.

After a while, the tech tree explodes into several branches that are technically completely optional, but incredibly rich on their own. You can build networks of trains to transport ores and materials from distant veins to your processing plants, with train stops, signal systems (so your trains don’t collide with each other in intersections) refuelling and unloading stations…

You can build smart devices with circuit logic, wiring up machines and programming combinators in different circuit networks so you can, e.g. regulate production of specialized items you don’t need as many of (so they don’t cannibalize your resources)

You can set up a wireless network of logistic drones that will fly materials to you and to your other factories, as well as automatically build blueprinted structures…

The game is huge. You can get lost for dozens of hours. I haven’t even covered a lot of what the game has to offer, so ama.

Also, worth noting that the game itselt is not so good at explaining what you have to do or how things work optimally, so you’ll have to seek external information. But wikis and youtube videos are plentiful and serve as good learning material. Make sure the video you are watching applies to your version (the jump from 0.14 -> 0.15 changed a lot of minor details for energy rations and the like)

Oh, and it has mod support. It doesn’t intergrate with Steam, so you have to make an account at the factorio website, but the process is painless enough. I haven’t played around a lot with mods but there is one I recommend. The Long Reach mod allows you to manipulate any building or item as long as you can see it in the map, instead of having to maneuver your avatar within reaching distance. It’s technically cheating (it allows you to e.g. reload turrets while away from danger) but it’s a great quality of life improvement if you just want to build stuff with minimal fuss.

6 Likes

See, now this sounds like the sort of thing I need as opposed to something with more rigid solutions like Spacechem (which I see as being similar in that it’s largely a game about automating production).

It all sounds a bit intimidating! Although I do like there’s a peaceful mode/options to support players who don’t want to go about with killing stuff.

Yes, Spacechem is more puzzle-driven where you are given a set of constraints and have to solve a problem within these constraints.

Factorio also has some scenarios but the meat and potatoes is the main open mode, which just gives you a goal, and you can apply your toolset in whichever way you like to reach it.

You have a surprising amount of flexibility. For example, the most initially intuitive way to set up your labs at the beginning is to have them in a straight line and feed them the science packs via belts, like so.

However, browsing around the community I discovered someone devised a more efficient and space effective design, provided you deal with transportation of the science packs to the main feeder belts beforehand. It kinda blew my mind.

Look at this beauty:

The way this works is that the inserter arms daisy-chain the delivery of science packs to the more remote labs, so it ensures less labs will be idle because science packs can’t reach them

(This is a mid-late game structure though, at the beginning you are probably better off with the belt method)

I’ve had my eye on Factorio for a while. If the official release is soon, I might go ahead and pick it up then. Sounds like it would be a good co-op game, too. The logic circuit stuff sounds intimidating, but not in a bad way.

Is the environment/climate always the same? From the screenshots I’ve seen, that seems to be the case.

If you play with creature attacks enabled, how elaborate/enjoyable is the tower defense element?

You might also want to check out Infinifactory if you’re looking for something a bit more middle-ground. I’m a big Zachtronics booster (same guy as Spacechem and has done other similar ideas), but Infinifactory hit a perfect middle-ground of sandbox and puzzle for me. Spacechem has enough constraints with the area you’re working in that it can kind of feel like your option pool is pretty limited, but Infinifactory gives you a lot more space to roam in. Still has very definite objectives for output and little control over inputs, but lots more options available in how you approach the task without being as gigantic a solution space as Factorio.

1 Like

They say they aim to release in “late 2017” but of course, with a game developed like this, who knows if they will be delayed?

Currently, there is a day/night cycle. It has gameplay repercussions (e.g. solar plants don’t produce energy at night, you need lamps or night vision to illuminate at night etc) but no atmospheric conditions or stuff like that.

The military aspect is an entire tab in your inventory and has its own branch in the tech tree (and since 0.15 its own dedicated science type) so it’s fair to say it’s a pretty big aspect. You can build different vehicles and guns including rocket launchers and flamethrowers, laser turrets, a whole category of drones are combat-only etc. Seems like it will be pretty involved but, as I mentioned, I’ve barely touched that aspect in my 75+ hours of gameplay.

(all this stuff is still available to you in a pacifist game, btw, and enemies still spawn on the map, so you could still play with it. It’s just not necessary for progression)

Enemies have an evolution timer that accelerates with time and the pollution you generate, spawning tougher enemies and creature types with different abilities, but from what I know, the variety of enemies is not very big.

1 Like

It’s a fairly powerful system. I think its biggest problem is that the game has no tutorials whatsoever to explain its intricacies, so you’ll have to find help elsewhere. It’s also totally skippable.

Often, the simplest system is usually the best one. Once I made a “smart” unloading station for my trains and while it was fun to try to build a system that would automatically classify resources etc, it ended up being much more efficient to just cleverly use stock components to achieve the same thing in a more compact way

1 Like

Another thing I love: How Factorio’s trailer perfectly illustrates the entire narrative of a game entirely through an in-game map

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna be honest Infinifactory just looks looks a little too dry, as well. I think Factorio’s little environmentalist subtext and its aesthetic in general are part of the appeal to me.

never discount the mood-setting appeal of pea-soup-brown and fresh-manure-green

I mean I fukken love nature

I hadn’t realized that you control a little guy who runs around and does things. I am convinced and have now purchased the game.

Seems like something that would be fun to play co-op (after you get the basics down).

1 Like

Would be neat to get a SB game going.

I know @Broco, miaou and @ArOne also play

for a second i thought this would be a thread about frog factors

Yeah, I’m not convinced this is the best title. Renamed

Hey I have this game and I’d like to play it more! I was concerned that it would utterly consume my life tho

I played it to twice completion pre-science pack change. Once by being a lazy bastard (only manually craft < ~120 items), the other by launching a rocket within 15 hours and then just making a stupid big railway system. It’s great fun.

Starting playing this game like a month ago. I’m nearing 50 hours and I’m nowhere close to beating it (although a bunch of my time was starting new maps with friends so).

It took me around 60-65 hours to finish a pacifist playthrough. Then I continued playing on the same map, expanding with more factories and trying more stuff

I tried this out Saturday night and ended up playing until 6 a.m. I like the challenge of avoiding and fixing jams on the conveyor belts. I have not yet reached the point of building trains.