the end of MegaTen as we know it

seconding strange journey

I never got around to finishing SMT4 (some dayā€¦!) but the removal of VIT as a stat seemed to make everyone immediately squishier. Or rather, the player has fewer options to reduce the damage they take/increase their health. Interesting pacing choice.

Yeah iā€™m with mothman on Strange Journey. Itā€™s got a good story (SMT meets The Thing basically) and the progression loop is pitch-perfect, solid dungeon crawling. But it does a lot of little things iā€™m not into, once again in a seeming effort to do things differently from the last game ā€“ unfortunately that last game was Nocturne which did everything right for me.

i am having a great time with SMT4, though it feels kind of shallow. Itā€™s very easy, as said above, and the story and characters arenā€™t as intriguing as they first seem. It starts to feel a bit rote once alignments really become obvious. Walter is mostly my dude in a big way though, his stance of ā€œthe world is fucked up bad and iā€™m gonna do something about it even if that means tearing it all downā€ really rings true for me due to uhhh, everything happening in reality right now!!

i loved Persona 4 when i played it 6 years ago, but 26-year-old me is a very different person from 20-year-old me and i have the feeling iā€™d find the squickier aspects of the characterization hard to deal with now (thereā€™s been good discussion of that on this incarnation search for Persona 4 and have a look. Plus thereā€™s a thread for it right now!).

edit: so basically SJ for good dungeon crawling and story, SMT4 for overall satisfying play, P4 for a little bit of both with an extra heap of problematic anime poured on top. Also DDS if you just want Nocturne with no fusion and a Final Fantasy plot/sphere grid.

1 Like

fyi, if you intend on emulating strange journey(or most other atlus ds games of that era; i actually quite like devil survivor!), it has the desmume bug which causes textures to be misaligned in software rendering.

i have a (partial) fix for this if you feel like compiling it yourself

1 Like

thanks! I did have to build desmume myself at one point because the preexisting debs were really poorly optimized so Iā€™m totally willingā€¦

is the bug still present in hardware rendering? b/c Iā€™d assume Iā€™m using that by default

does anyone rep Devil Survivor? i think iā€™m probably just nostalgic for that because itā€™s the first smt game i actually played.

i havenā€™t played Devil Survivor (really want to!) but i was considering suggesting it to Felix since SMT x tactics RPG sounds like a damn solid combo and iā€™ve never heard a bad word about it. Probably better than any of those other choices TBH.

my first SMT was this!:

It plays really bad (a shitty Dragon Quest knockoff w/ fusions and hyper-simplified negotiation) but a cute little curio. Also the soundtrack is hot as hell.
Between this game and Revelations: Persona it seems like Revelations was briefly kicked around as the English name for Megatens? Which, letā€™s be real, would have been a pretty sick name and probably more relevant to the series cosmology than Shin Megami Tensei is.

DS SRPGs tended to be extremely not great

1 Like

probably the exact reason why i liked it so much, i was looking for an srpg for ds and stumbled upon an smt game that sorta fit and was maybe better than anything else in that genre on the console

1 Like

actually do not remember but feel like it did still exist.

i will!

the first game, at least. the second one is pure garbage that failed to understand anything that it did right and basically tried to be persona. it had a rad soundtrack from the romancing saga guy though.

as srpgs go itā€™s not especially complicated but you are definitely going to be focusing on party composition as you need to summon quite a lot of demons in SMT fame, and itā€™s fairly difficult as the genre goes.

but the story partā€™s what it does well. you are on a strict time schedule and everything you do, including talk to people or make decisions, passes time and affects the story. characters live or die depending on what you do, and youā€™re unlikely to save all of them on your first playthrough without spoilers. thereā€™s no alignment but the 7(!) possible ending paths available vary greatly based on your story decisions. the Bad Ending is always available, though.

the characters are very anime but tend to veer towards ā€œwe are all in way over our headsā€ rather than stoic superheroes.

also Lucifer casts Megidolaondyne because heā€™s an asshole.

Never touched Persona 4 but I honestly feel like 5 to 10 hours of both SJ and SMT4 will be more enjoyable and informative than slogging through either till the end.

I feel that way about most SMT games besides Nocturne I think?

can the strange journey fans elaborate???

@felix theyā€™re all going to be a letdown after nocturne, iā€™d say iv but itā€™s considerably more anime than nocturne and has weird pacing so iā€™m not sure how youā€™d feel about it

it does have a great soundtrack & the fusion system has no rng and a fancy search function

smt1 is also good but the best english version of it looks like this:

Yeah with SMT1 itā€™s SNES or bust.

The music is terrible in most of the ports and the re-worked graphics generally look gross. The problem with the original is how obtuse the game is with respect to stat management, fusion, demon abilities etc. Even new equipment fails to show stat changes in the ā€˜buyā€™ menu. This was fixed in the ports I think (not sure about Sega CD and PCE though). Plus the ludicrous encounter rate.

Still one of my favorites though.

If you can read basic Japanese the SNES and GBA port are your best bets. I hear the translation patch introduced some bugs that may or may not be game breaking.

i thought the ps1 port of smt1 looked okay personally. personal vote is the gameā€™s kind of hard to play without a speedup key of any sort though.

my favorite thing about smt1 is that thereā€™s a bug where hama resistance is given by any equipment, so if you play naked you can be killed by a thing which supposedly canā€™t kill humans (the demifiend is not human so he doesnā€™t count, or maybe heā€™s vulnerable because he canā€™t wear any equipment beyond his sexy pants)

1 Like

wait does the demifiend wear cutoffs in every game

I just assumed that was a weird nocturne thing

the protagonist of each smt game is different, not the same person

theyā€™re normal humans in the first two smt games and in sj

well, as ā€˜normalā€™ as literal godkillers can be

Yeah the PS1 version doesnā€™t look too bad but the music suffers.

My main reason for recommending the SNES and GBA are primarily to run in emulators with fast forward keys. Even with auto battle things get out of control pretty quickly. Maybe the GBA port actually changed the encounter rate settings?

the best thing about telling people to play with speedup keys is not telling them about girimehkala

because you will hear them swearing about it most likely at some point

1 Like

it did yeah
thatā€™s where i was coming from re: my post that the ios version is the best english release, itā€™s based on the gba port (though has the ps1 music) and has a far lower encounter rate than the snes rom

1 Like

Yep I got screwed over by autobattle a number of times. The great thing about the SMT series is how youā€™re never entirely safe.