the end of MegaTen as we know it

Don’t use daisoujou dude

but daisoujou’s so cool

I also have an evolved naga which is called baba yaga or yaka naga or something which is really quite nice

I think it’s the first demon I kept long enough without fusing to let it evolve and the result is better than expected

how do I get abilities onto mitama other than the crummy ones the elementals already have?

fuse a demon with the skill you want with another of the same race to make an elemental, then two elementals make a mitama

oh I see, I didn’t realize you could make elementals like that

I made ghost rider

feel like I’m kind of overdoing it on fusing the boss monsters but at least this guy has a dekaja equivalent move because I still don’t have anyone who can cast that and I was burning through rocks pretty quickly

should probably go and do the third kalpa

game is great. even though that tower dungeon took forever.

The Kalpas and Labyrinth of Amala in general feel so perfectly sinister and abysmal. The music really carries a mysterious foreboding, definitely one of my favorite environments.

why would they put such an absurdly difficult sokoban puzzle in here

I mean it’s way more interesting than the average final fantasy minigame but geez

pale rider wasn’t bad at all, none of them were other than the first one with his stupid god’s arrow

I love how much this game turns into its own meta

Early game I was hesitant to use any attack that cost HP because I was rationing

Now it’s like what the hell, Daisoujou can fix anything plus I have that guy I bought from the shady broker that restores MP from walking around who can cast samrecarm whenever I really fuck up, I wonder how many more elements I can become immune to

I think I’ve effectively maxed out my strength? Which means that 900 damage focus crits after several tarukajas are pretty much as good as it gets?

until deathbound, anyway.

is this the kind of rpg that players usually break over the knee at some point in the midgame

anyway since i expect Normal to be significantly more lenient i’ll probably rush for luck when i restart to mix things up and be obnoxious

not really but the press turn smt games have a shift mid-late game where you have easy access to demons with no weaknesses but you can still get Nocturned
you can kinda break it over your knee endgame with sheer grinding, the top tier level 95+ demons are obnoxiously overpowered

smt4 on the other hand…

2 Likes

glad to hear rng party wipes never truly go away ;-;

if the enemies had less fuzzy ai they probably wouldn’t need to be given nearly as many obnoxious advantages

I’m so glad so many of you are playing Nocturne. I just bought two copies of Nocturne in Japan - now I have 4 plus a digital copy. Nocturne is the best SMT title!!!

2 Likes

i think all SMTs start off pretty hard and level off once you hit a certain tier of demons/skills + have a decent amount of macca. They become less about punishing difficulty and more about adapting your tactics to deal with tricky bosses. Even Set, the boss linked in idiot’s post that can Megidolaon you over and over, is weak to electricity and can easily spend half the fight getting the shit critted out of him by your demons. I Like This because it feels appropriate to pitting a team of literal gods against other literal gods. Everyone can fuck eachother up equally!! :smiley:

SMT4 is actually harder than average to begin with – you’re very fragile and smirking works against you more often than not, plus the symbol encounters move fast and getting the timing down for first strikes takes a few fumbles/party wipes (even later on, getting jumped is almost guaranteed to result in 1-2 of your demons dying). But a little bit of smart investment in your stats + skills + apps goes a long way – i can spam Megido and then get all of my MP back passively just from running around now.

tbh, besides simplified fusion/inheretance and convenient Mana Walk apps, the low difficulty is mainly because of how ridic powerful (and hella stylish) your MC can get in this game. That’s like 120 points higher Ma than even my strongest demon.

Post Your Squad:

i actually feel like most rpgs start off harder early on and then level off into routine later, period

this is mostly because the early game is the most refined and by the end you’re more invested in making progress anyway

which of strange journey / SMT4 / persona 4 is most worth playing after nocturne?

hopefully not SMT4 because citra isn’t quite fast enough yet

strange journey
(although i sorta hate p4, other people may well be repping that one over it)