the end of MegaTen as we know it

The 3DS version of Soul Hackers has bigger bust art for the characters, so I’ve ripped and uploaded them along with the demon and character sprites. There was another file with the smaller PSX/Saturn busts, so I included those, as well.

6 Likes

9 Likes

What’s your team(s) look like?

also the first three volumes of kaneko works got reprinted recently, so they’re not outrageously expensive anymore.

Oh i am so glad you asked. i love showing off my demonz :smiley:

my cool and powerful demifiend

my squad for taking on Lucifer, who i almost certainly over-prepared for (guess we’ll see). i spent a frankly pretty stupid amount of time fusing a custom Black Frost and Lilith just because they’re two of my favorite demons and i wanted them there at the end (and even then i kinda half-assed it which is why Lilith has Mazio and no Debilitate). Vishnu is my pinch hitter

i wanted these jerks on my Lucy fighting team but i fucked up and maxed out their skills before i could get Pierce on them (for those who don’t know, Lucifer is highly resistant to all elements and the only way to make fighting him not tedious is to get Pierce, which cuts through physical resistance). Metatron is a decent backup healer/buffer and Beelzebub turns endgame random battles into a joke but otherwise they’re mostly here for bragging rights

the Megapixie, who’s also here for bragging rights. FUN FACT if you use her as a fusion sacrifice, it instantly shoots any demon up to level 99!

Mother Harlot, who pretty much singlehandedly (and multi-headedly) carried me through the end of the Amala Labyrinth. Every time she casts a spell she takes a big, slow swig of her goblet first. She rules

Surt, who made the physical reflect/absorb enemies in the last dungeon very easy because he’s the one demon in the game who’s basic attack isn’t physical element (it’s fire-based, but buffs with Taru-Kaja and is affected by Attack All)

:featuring_dante:

10 Likes

Beautiful.

I had a 100%ish file on my PS2 card, maybe just short of completing the compendium w/Flyzelbub and anything else that relates to. YHVH knows where that is present day, present time.

You have to level him from base form iirc and for some reason that was taking me forever.

1 Like

I AM TRUE DEMON

10 Likes

Featuring model-ripped Bayonetta from the Devil May Cry seires!

4 Likes

In SMT4a demons can sometimes offer you items after levelling up, just as a free gift

I found out that if you fuse one of the game’s antagonists after defeating them, and have them give you an item that way, they’ll only ever give you the most basic potion item out of spite, and in the most passive agressive way. Thumbs up

8 Likes

just want to remind everybody of how rad the last bible special opening is, and that it also received a fan translation last year.

5 Likes

how Kazuma Kaneko drew pixel art for the SNES games:

11 Likes

Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE was apparently developed by Cave? It had some neat mounts

Your regular variety

Your “servants of satan taking you off to the sabbath”-kind

Abduction

And stare longingly into Cu Chulainn’s eyes as he cradles you in his strong arms across the wastelands

There were several more that I can’t find any footage of
http://megaten.sesshou.com/wiki/index.php/Demon_Mounts

What a game

Never seen this Cypher design before

8 Likes

Thank you, digital archivists.

2 Likes

i got the impression that Imagine was what was salvaged from SMT Nine.

too bad it’s not available to play anymore. thought some peeps wanted to resurrect it through private server, but not sure if it went anywhere.

I had gotten into the beta when IMAGINE was coming out in English, and thought it was hollow and boring. I would imagine (ho ho ho) a lot of people felt the same, because I don’t recall IMAGINE ever taking off here, or ever hearing anybody say anything about it. NINE seemed a bit more interesting with what it was trying to do, and it had some wicked music (an alternate universe where Masaki Kurokawa fell into the lead composer role at Atlus instead of Shoji Meguro would have been fucking glorious).

1 Like

i’ve been wanting to do a podcast covering each game from the franchise for a while now (i’ve been waiting for one of the SNES SMTs to get rolled in snexploration, but that could take forever!), but i don’t know anyone else that wants to do it. if anybody is interested in doing this at some point in the future, let me know…

5 Likes

here’s a cool picture of maya being dominated by artemis.

3 Likes

i was also in that IMAGINE beta and, similarly, found it shallow and boring once the “omg, MegaTen MMO” sheen wore off after a couple days.

but speaking of Nine!

i bought a Kaneko art book at Kinokuniya last week (it focuses on Nocturne and, weirdly, Nine) and some illustrations from Nine that i haven’t seen in other installments in the series caught my eye:

6 Likes

yeah i was going to bring up Maria, she’s probably my favorite design from NINE. Adam and Eve are rad, too.

man kaneko was the shit. i really want to get another copy of digital devil apocalypse, a decent scanner, and just splice out the pages and do decent scans of DDA.

(eta: added a bigger image of maria so you can really take in that wicked t-rex)

5 Likes