the end of MegaTen as we know it

so hype ;__;

Oh man, I think it looks pretty hideous.

Still hype for it though.

I am not ready for this game. My inner weeb is screaming demanding all of my time be sacrificed to it.

I have my PS4 connected to the ā€œmainā€ TV in the living room which also has the cable running through it, so playing something that is meant as a singular person experience can be tough to find the time to do in my house. Especially when the game likes to take 2 to 3 hour chunks at a time. Itā€™s my opinion that games like this and most games in general are a terrible spectator sport and I am definitely not the kind of asshole who forces his SO to sit and watch me play a game for 2 to 3 hours.

I guess what I am saying is I have no idea how my obsessive weeb personality that really wants to sink 4 hours a day on this game is going to continue to be a fully functioning adult with work, taking care of the house, prepping taxes, paying bills, and also enjoying quality time with my wife. Itā€™s why I donā€™t play games like this anymore but damn it Persona just scratches my anime game itch like nothing else. These damn games are like drugs and I am very susceptible to peer pressure.

3 Likes

yeah itā€™s actually funny how conspicuously low-functioning jRPG play sessions make me feel nowadays, itā€™s almost too obvious how much it takes me out of my life

I will whisper ā€œremote playā€ in your ear though b/c itā€™s been a godsend for me for PS4 releases that I donā€™t necessarily want to sit down and play in front of a PS4

2 Likes

I am enjoying it so far a few hours in, yeah itā€™s very very good but I am still riding this very different Nier high andā€¦I dunno maybe should have more of a break between big meals.

https://twitter.com/ZeoMassicot/status/845304086643695616 good lord

I think I really want to do this for P5, but when I experimented with remote play on my desktop for The Last Guardian, the input lag was too great to be enjoyable. May be less a problem for P5, but do you have any recommendations on how to minimize lag?

Yeah, the gameā€™s out in the US in like 2 weeks, and I just got Ending A from Nier last night (also Iā€™m writing a masterā€™s thesis, I guess), so I donā€™t know that Iā€™m ready in any way for Persona 5 to set up shop in my life.

Iā€™m kinda amazed itā€™s been out in Japan for half a year and the contemporaneous anime was simulcast in America, but I still know almost nothing about the plot or the game systems and how similar/different they are. Iā€™m nervous the game wonā€™t be as stellar as I hope it will be, but Iā€™m eager to find out.

Oof.

Think Iā€™ll be playing this one with Japanese voices.

yeah i feel like iā€™ve heard so little about this game considering how long itā€™s been out in japan, i know the language barrier is high so itā€™s not an easy game to import but still. it definitely killed my enthusiasm a bit.

if your connection is strong enough that the video isnā€™t artifacting a bunch, then you should already have the lowest possible input latency. itā€™s definitely a little worse than connecting directly to the console but on games that donā€™t already have huge input latency problems (i.e. not last guardian) I find it pretty much fine; I beat orphan of kos that way!

1 Like

i wonder if they just kind of exaggerated the way the jp side requested it sound

itā€™s not uncommon for the enunciation to emphasize the second syllable in japanese, but, uh, that just sounds wrong.

maybe she has a weird accent or something. does she sound kansaiben in jp or something

Itā€™s supposed to be her ā€œAmericanā€ accent, yeah. The voice actress said on twitter that she was specifically asked to say it like that by Atlus JP.

Ok, thanks! Iā€™ll give it a shot again. Iā€™d imagine itā€™ll do just fine for P5. The video looked astonishingly clear.

How many Orphan of Daily Kos jokes have been made?

1 Like

I read different somewhere, but moreso than your average jRPG, much like the first few hours of P3 and P4 there is a lot of talking and walking, bit by bit tutorials. Generally the same kind of pacing, I might not be as engaged these days following that same rhythm and high school animu stuffs. Itā€™s not really bad or anything I just want to get to the main flow. A few voices now and then (especially a couple during the intro) seem extra goofyā€¦but thereā€™s plenty of solid dialogue too, so Iā€™m okay with English dub for now. Aside from Igorā€™s voice :frowning:

The UI is really cool most of the time, except sometimes in dungeon exploration itā€™s too busy?

Keeping more thoughts to a minimum going forwardā€¦seems more than a few retailers broke street date.

1 Like

the 3ds smt project isā€¦ an enhanced port of strange journey i guess?

Remaking Strange Journey is a cyclical re-use of assets in the same fashion that IV and Apocalypse based their rosters on Strange Journey in the first place, which celebrates series themes in being unable to do anything new anymore I guess. See the same demon bloc again, sure, why not. Remakes of progenitor games (I / II / If) would at least have some relative fresh novelty and reasonable status for an anniversary project but that would evidently take more than Atlus can provide.

Also the single animated cutscene there with Morax socking Asura also showed they removed wrinkles and horns from a bisonā€™s head and took off his metal skin to show muscular arms and come on

Strange Journey was fine for its atmosphere and writing and getting the hells out of Tokyo but this series really just feels like a shambling Corpse.

declared edit: just realized from commentary elsewhere that the one game where the protagonist character as a character matters the absolutely least and is obscured the vast majority of the time could have gone with extremely minimal effort for a selectable female protagonist, and didnā€™t, while they went ahead with voicing another new mysterious outsider fatale. now Iā€™m not just disappointed but incensed

6 Likes

I am a big fan of Strange Journey, but this just looks like the same game with an extra character and voice over work. I really like how that game was not voiced, I think it really works for SMT in general.

Oh well, I still like the series, has the best JRPG combat that keeps me coming back. And animu.

good grief i hope they donā€™t inject more misguided SMT4-esque Persona-isms into SJ. Atmopshere is most of what that game has going for it.

iā€™d eat worms for a remake of the SFC games but yeah that ainā€™t gonna happen

i like strange journey but iā€™m about 0% excited for another 3ds-only release

new lady gives me evangelion vibes. and not in a good way

So now that Iā€™ve got some coffee in meā€¦ For note, I have cleared the original DS Strange Journey, and on the whole I really like a lot of what it does.

SJ is a terribly paced game. Remaking it could only improve it.

Spoilers ahead.

It has a really strong start; encounters are reasonably challenging, things are happening in the story that are hard to understand, the atmosphere is very oppressive and strange. It still feels like the most classical SMT game since the original two, and I definitely want to say its the best successor weā€™ve had to those. (Nocturne is kind of doing its own thing but honestly I wish theyā€™d taken more lessons from it!)

Around the fourth zone, Delphinus, it starts running out of steam and grinding the player down with unnecessarily long zones, a boss you have zero investment in by the time you get to it, and the gimmicks arenā€™t very interesting paired with its highly linear nature. Proceed, fall down a pit, groan, climb back up, repeat until you chose the correct path (or your map is completed, depending on the kind of player you are). And then the boss is kind of a jerk and requires a gameplan somewhat perpendicular to the way the entire rest of the game operates. Which isnā€™t bad but feels more like something thatā€™s a better fit for an optional boss than a required one.

Fifth zone, Eridanus, is basically where most people stop. Itā€™s long, itā€™s non-linear, it feels like a final area, it builds up to probably the toughest boss fight up to that point, itā€™s satisfying, the story beats are good.

It also feels like the end of the game.

After this, the last three(!!) zones are far less mysterious than the previous ones, feeling more like Demonic Office Dungeons than representations of the sins of humanity, and at this point the player feels more like heā€™s going through the motions than really doing anything different from what he did earlier. Theyā€™re long and just kind of tiring. The story beats are more about setting up the Law/Chaos divide in concrete terms and honestly are not at all interesting in how they go about doing it.

Most people I know who played the game gave up either during or just after Eridanus.

The kidnapping scene near the end was probably the most interesting one but it also affects your ending choice the most dramatically of anything in the game. But, of course, the law/chaos paths are gatekeepered by a boss that, if youā€™re not prepared for, will probably be just about impossible, so if you wanted to do those you could be in trouble.

It just feels anticlimactic.

Add to that:

• Atlusā€™s remakes havenā€™t played with pacing much, which doesnā€™t seem encouraging to me.
  • did we really need a skintight suit lady to be added
  • Even though the protagonist doesnā€™t speak and his face is not even visible most of the game, we still do not have a female protagonist in a mainline SMT game.
  • SMT4 really ramped up the nationalism and this is likely the same team, after they finished with Apocalypse.

and ā€¦ Eh? Weā€™ll see.