the end of MegaTen as we know it

why is every damn boss physical immune all of a sudden

You just gotta punch harder

4 Likes

url=https://twitter.com/HonooNoFukai/status/825267399092006912/photo/1[/url]

11 Likes

I booked a tattoo with the lady who did this for next month & I want to distinguish myself from her preexisting work a little bit but the only imagery I can think of for comparison is all like, nihilo screenshots

is your punch at all demifiendish dude

my whole moveset is jive talk and fast retreat

Iā€™m probably not gonna get the lower arm part b/c I donā€™t like it nearly as much as the upper arm & I am extremely hairy

probably have her add some more half-drawn fading cubes near the elbow instead

1 Like

I am still going through Apocalypse.

The game loses some steam in the middle like all Megaten games. I went from level 40 to 55 and nothing significant happened plotwise. Bosses are steamrolled by the kaja/kunda barrage, randoms all die in one round now that I can go all out (I got an app that heals MP as I walk around)
Iā€™m enjoying it, Iā€™m sure it will become interesting again later on, and itā€™s not nearly as bad as 4 was at that point, but Iā€™m still a bit bored.

The plot is a bit silly. This isnā€™t your dadā€™s Shin Megami Tensei! Thereā€™s a new enemy faction in town and itā€™s MORE powerful than Law/Chaos.

It does help that their leader Krishna has excellent character design / has an excellent theme / is charismatic / doesnā€™t have the silly distorded voice all other demons have.

Anytime YHVH is supposed to be pronounced by a character, you hear something similar to a record scratch instead. Nice touch.

What did I forget.
My outfit

2 Likes

Some SSStyle right there. Sounds like Iā€™m maybe a bit behind where you are, and I had a very similar thought last night as I saved to quit! Seeing the level difference from my other file (39 ~ the 1st Shesha fight), being 50 now. The bits of story progression alongside all that dungeon/area exploration and combat were alright, with the new Ring of Gaea then Hunter attitudes, etc etc. Itā€™s just that while returning to and expanding those things the larger scale affairs seem dormant.

iā€™m level 80 or so, getting towards the end. it never dips as low as 4 did, and yeah it definitely picks up but i dont think it ever hits the high of 4ā€™s opening. the gameplay loop hardt as hell though, so whatever

everything after blasted/infernal Tokyo in SMT4 is godawful. i hated the final dungeons so much, theyā€™re both cool-looking/poorly-designed teleport mazes/boss rushes. To even get to them (on neutral) you have to run around the horrible world map cleaning up the majority of the sidequests in the game, one of which is just a huge macca-gated quest (the one where you have to gather all the memberā€™s only cards in Ginza). Your law/chaos heroes are absent for this entire stretch and when they show up again theyā€™ve already advanced to their inevitable alignment avatar forms offscreen, with little fanfare.*
why is Stephen Hawking of all people the one to tell me to ā€œrevive the goddess of Tokyoā€ WTF

i cannot remember the last time my feelings toward a game differed so severely from beginning to end. Playing Nocturne and mentally comparing the two has only deepened my antipathy. What a letdown.

oh well still got my 60+ hours in lol ;_;

*(this isnā€™t strictly true. You get to see Walter turn into a weird Luciferā€™s arm-tumor monster. it comes out of fucking nowhere and makes 0 sense with his established character though!!)

1 Like

4aā€™s final dungeon is the rainbow road from mario kart

4 Likes

i put on one of the hard tde runs in the background and this really sums up what speedrunning nocturne hard is like

edit: apparently he got a 13:37 off that run somehow.

4 Likes

Ok so Iā€™ve played a ton this past week to finally end Apocalypse.

In a few nice ways, some of the less talked about (or less obvious) lategame developments managed to surprise me.

A not so nice surprise, that true final dungeon - heard it was exhausting but damn! Fatigue already crept in over the previous 5-10 hours, still I was resolved to finish and then the repetition -> payoff equation fell apart. Obnoxious.

ā€¦well that ending was hella brief and understated considering the extra extra extra work one has to put in for it. Then again, itā€™s the result of a bleak and ā€œwipe the slate entirely cleanā€ path.

Ah well, I thoroughly enjoyed Finalocalpyse overall. Probably not picking up any kind of RPG for a long while though.

1 Like

Picked Nocturne back up yesterday and I guess Iā€™m at the annoying part of the midgame (second Kalpa, followed by kabukicho prison).

Man what I wouldnā€™t give for a patch that fixes the homophobic stereotyping w/r/t the junk shop guy (playing on a ps2 though so even if that did existā€¦).

My SMT Apocalypse file was corrupted, I could load it but couldnā€™t save anymore.

I backed up the save, deleted the game + save, redownloaded the game, used the backed up save. Didnā€™t work, still corrupted.

All was lost. I deleted the backed up save and the game + regular save.

The next day I then redownloaded the game just in case I wanted to try playing from the beginning again at one point.
But then the game somehow loaded a save from god knows where. Now everything works again including my old save!

I am pretty sure my 3DS is C U R S E D and I will pay the price for this later

Anyway I got to the fake ending, great punch in the guts right there

i think iā€™ve burnt out at vishnuflynn. i had a good time but itā€™s a shame the plot is completely negligible

Iā€™m wondering if weā€™ll ever see SMTIV/IVa on other platforms. Donā€™t really want to buy a 3DS just to play them.

Sorry guys donā€™t hateā€¦

Were demons named differently as enemies in earlier Persona or MegaTen spin offs?

that UI!! THAT UI!!! <3