The Dreamcast is Twenty Years Old.

i keep dying in blue stinger when i get to the part where i have a time limit to give people medicine. i just get lost and run out of time. next time i do it ill have a guide

i have my copy that i bought from sykel, or he bought it back and has it again, and i think he got it from armpitman, who got it from another poster?

1 Like

AHEM! Nimoy didn’t voice Seaman and was just the narrator. Seaman itself in English was actually voiced by:

d6240gw-e5b5f31b-8df9-4ac8-8da1-c157817b8824

2 Likes

THAT MAKES SENSE WOW

does that voice actor refuse to record in anything but a garbage can

2 Likes

ohh i started uploading my evolution playthrough

this game is cool it has some shiren inspiration

3 Likes
2 Likes

Disappointing but understandable they would skip over Saturn. If I were M2’s Division Chief of Legacy Sega IP Fetishism and Preservation I would have someone write a monster Model 2/Saturn hybrid emulator to play ideal upgraded home console versions of as many games of the era I could get the rights to, but I know we won’t get all of what could have been, outside of some of the Sega Ages 2500 titles.

3 Likes

The guy who gave the interview took to twitter to complain that western media love to take an off hand quote as absolute gospel and plans.

So uhh don’t trust that article:

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I posted it here instead of in the news.

1 Like

After dipping into and loving the Saturn library this year I’d like to get into the Dreamcast as well. The main important thing to me is having the controller. What do you think my best bet is, emulation with a controller/usb adapter or is getting the actual system and hacking(?) it the best bet? Sorry if that’s verboten to ask, ignore if so! No clue how they do on an HDTV, then there’s the whole VMU thing that I know very little about. Strange system!

1 Like

i find this difficult to answer because the dreamcast controller is one of the worst (first-party, major console manufacturer) controllers ever made

i use an actual console with an optical drive emulator but i never touch an oem pad if i don’t have to - i use a brook wingman sd and a ps4 controller

3 Likes

Ha yeah it doesn’t look great but for whatever reason I find that more important to capturing the feeling of how the system was intended to be played than like, whether it’s on original hardware on an SDTV, etc.

Thanks for the optical drive tip!

2 Likes

i think it looks fine but it gave me an RSI

3 Likes

However, I used to play my Dreamcast on a 720p LCD TV over composite and I thought the games looked decent.

2 Likes

honestly i would just emulate dreamcast, the controller is straight up just a modern controller with fewer buttons, painful triggers, and a single crappy analog stick that doesn’t wear gracefully. you can upscale stuff and it looks great. if you already have a DC then the ODE thing is a solid option but i dunno if i’d go that route if i didn’t already have one because the controller adds roughly nil to the DC experience for me

4 Likes

Uncomfortable to hold, terrible analogue stick, tiny buttons, sharp edged dpad, cable comes out the bottom for reasons unknown.

On the bright side dead battery vmu startup sound : -)

10 Likes

the vmu is significantly more comfortable to hold than a dc controller

2 Likes

best dc controller

9 Likes

I love the twanky triggers of the dreamcast!

Unlike the Saturn a lot of the heavy hitters for the dreamcast have been made available like JGR, Shenmue, Sonics, PSO, Capcom Fighters. So if you are focusing on dreamcast stuff you get real weird. Did I link the hinge problems list in this thread?

6 Likes

The dreamcast is just too loud. The dead vmu beep, plus the fan whirring, plus the gd drive grinding makes an absolute cacophony.

No silent Goldeneye sleepover deathmatches on that console, no sir. Just loud, brash SEGA.

I kind of love it.

4 Likes