The Dreamcast is Twenty Years Old.

Yo that start-up beep scared the shit out of me

4 Likes

I have been weirdly busy these past few days and the only Dreamcast game I actually played was a few rounds of Virtua Tennis and holy shit I forgot how loud the baby is. Or that this is my 20 year old baby from launch day.

Dreamcast Game Impressions go in the Dreamcast Thread:

Tetris 4D blows. The next piece was absolutely designed to give you the piece you need least. I started gaming it. Have a nice tetris hole? No long piece ever. Suddenly have no two slot? Square piece immediately. As I got closer to losing i got 5 I-pieces in a row.

Cool Boarders Burrrn! aka Rippin’ Riders aka Snow Surfers got 7s across the board at the time. It is barely a game. It has Time Attack and Half Pipe mode. That’s it! You can also maybe do versus. It is very underwhelming. How it got made is surprising considering at the time Cool Boarders 1 and 2 had been released on PS1 and are competent games I think?

The second stage you go into the gigantic gothic chruch so that is cool. Then it starts throwing bottomless pits in my time attack snowboarding and You can only do tricks at Trick Points.

The soundtrack is dope as hell though.

1 Like

got a new desk set up and made sure to keep this around

might fuck around and play seaman

2 Likes

Yo what color is the microphone foam? Mine was nice but everyone I saw on yahoo auctions was nasty. The one I bought I just threw away. That stuff did not survive 17 years.

it is green but it is…not in the best of shape

might just throw it away

8 Likes

Finally a little down time so I played some of these games I’ve had lying around

Sega GT Homologation Special: Oh yeah this is Sega’s take on Gran Turismo and you have to pass a bunch of driving tests before you can race and I am going to die one day and there is forza horizon 4 and sega rally 2 and I ain’t working for fun. It has a very nice flyer for dreamcast games and two thick manuals so it is a one disc game in a two disc jewelcase.

Pen Pen Triathlon. Oh this is exactly as weird as the magazines said. I can see how you would be…mad if you got this on launchday instead of one of the good games. I can see that. What incredible circumstances birthed this game?

Evolution has intrigued me for the past ten years and upon booting it up I went “oh I should have played this when I was 14.” I am not going to be playing it now. Shiren-like with JRPG standard battles? I died in my first real battle because the enemies were all tougher than my party. I could be replaying Grandia 2 or Skies of Arcadia instead of this…which was kind of what the reviews said at the time. They didn’t have the language to explain Shiren-likes.

JRA PAT for Dreamcast is a disc that allows you to connect to the Japanese Horseracing Servers to do…something? It’s not really clear and not like I have a 56k connection. It does have a very cool cover though!

7 Likes

JRA PAT looks like packaging for a funky MiniDisc player and I love it

4 Likes

i remember, in all the pre-release hype when magazines were saying stuff about all the games, when it came to pen pen triicelon, they all just kind of went “hey, look how high resolution the textures are!”

except official saturn magazine, who obviously had nothing to write about except dreamcast games, so all the launch titles had multipage features.

how did that game come to thte west and not godzilla generations?

5 Likes

errr

I finally started Christmas Seaman! And…it was a special event that was only online for 10 days in 1999. You can’t access it anymore. My Dreamcast Perfect Guide even mentions it doesn’t do anything anymore.

4 Likes

surely somebody has or is setting out to figure out how to get that shit working again, right? whatever it is it did. maybe leonard nemoy sings christmas carols to you.

pen pen triicelon is on the list with blue stinger of games I keep asking myself why i didn’t play

1 Like

You and a family member talked with seaman seperately and then seaman prepared a special gift and message to give the other person. It is impossibly involved and another piece of fuel for why Sega went bankrupt in Feb 2001.

Pen Pen takes like 15 minutes to “get”.

Blue Stinger is dope. I hate it has a reputation with all the other bad REClones. I regularly think about replaying it.

i mean shit, leonard nimoy singing christmas carols as a fish with the face of a man would’ve been cool enough.