the depths of eg-lana

the bosses and sub bosses are consistently great in this one too, I go from “what the fuck? No.” to “OK yeah I got it!!” In the space of like two or three attempts on each of them.

man the holes in the floor in Nidhogg keep screwing me up and I don’t think I have enough ninja stars to kill him.

feather!!!

ok 5 bosses down but now I for real have no idea what to do

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

another thing this one seems to do a little better than the first is foreground the endgame archaeological canvassing – rather than have to revisit a bunch of locations you’ve already visited to collect items that were hidden in plain sight before, they start setting up the conflict between the various races really early on and it’s clear that some of the big-ass riven puzzles are going to be along those lines.

as I think I’m now about halfway through, my verdict up to now is that it’s a totally worthwhile sequel that doesn’t do a whole lot new but is just as massive and striking as the original while being a tiny bit more reasonable in its design and not losing its edge at all.

the one thing I do miss from the original is the symmetry of the frontside/backside levels that gave you a general idea of where you’d expect to find a boss and where you still needed to explore; the latter parts of this one seem to be a bunch of increasingly hostile and hard-to-progress-in standalone hell zones.

1 Like

figuring out the significance of that image made me feel like the smartest person on the planet.

I love this friggin’ game

I should have believed.

3 Likes

another quality of life improvement is that it’s much easier to max out your health early on, I’m only missing one orb

Apparently if you take too long, it just activates hard mode anyway.

I’m less motivated to play, now…

This seems like the last thing my confused, uncoordinated ass needs.

Yeah, also “too long” is apparently about 20 hours

I looked up hard mode and found this comment:

“there’s an NPC in Annwfn that can turn off Hard Mode for you. It is a girl. Talk to her multiple times so that option shows up.”

Apparently that’s only from tablet-induced hard mode. “Natural” hard mode seems to be here to stay

I think you got that through the rumour mill, more enemies start appearing after you get a certain key item midway through (it was like hour 14 for me) and I can imagine people mistaking that for “hard mode.”

The one boss I have fought since was considerably easier than the one prior fwiw

Anyway after playing this for three hours or so, I’m opting to experience this game via a let’s play from a streamer I like. I started to remember why I stopped playing La Mulana 1, and it flips my bits for “best experienced vicariously”. I don’t really care to devote so much time and effort to taking notes, fighting janky bosses and backtracking aimlessly. For me there’s no real satisfaction in personally overcoming this game’s type of challenge – it boils down to being persistent, organized and thorough – but I do want to enjoy the atmosphere and the trolls at a slight remove.

2 Likes

booooooooooooo

2 Likes

My internet has been dead for a week so this really sucks

Just gonna lie back on my couch enjoying someone else’s suffering and feeling like I know better the whole time, Xelpud style

1 Like