Switch! (Part 1)

Can someone tell me what this does (all twitter domains are in my etc/hosts file).

1 Like

do what

Explain the tweet to me. I can’t access any content on Twitter.

It’s a Breath of the Wild vid showing someone taking advantage of some kind of equipment swapping glitch to turn the bomb into a glider.

1 Like

Apparently the 2022 release schedule on Nintendo’s Japanese website preemptively spoiled a game announcement lol

Summary

“Kirby Discovery”

looks interesting

13 Likes

Kirby explores the ruins of Old New Donk City to uncover the terrible secret of its demise…

9 Likes

Kirby deals with the apocalypse he helped bring about

13 Likes

Disaster Report 5: Super Star Ultra

-or-

Kirby Automata

7 Likes

All I can think of is city trial from Kirby Air Ride, since that is a mode set in a deserted city beset by constant disasters

3 Likes

Kirby is a series I have a lot of fondness for, but it’s felt pretty much stagnant to me since the GameCube/GBA era (aside from Canvas Curse, which was cool). Kirby is in dire need of a re-imagining. I hope this game just goes totally off in some new direction.

5 Likes

I think Kirby has a hard time because its core values were always pretty soft. I think the original platforms aimed at: a soft, dreamlike mood, an extremely approachable difficulty, and toylike experimentation – lots of fun secrets, lots of character abilities that aren’t really necessary but are enjoyable.

It really helped define a type of kid’s game and stuff like the Traveller’s Tales Lego games and Skylanders have a lot of the same values.

But that’s a tall order on what a new game should have. It needs to be delightful, it’s not really mechanics-driven.

Playing with art styles like Kirby’s Epic Yarn felt really in character. Given the way open-world games lend themselves to idle play, and how successfully Breath of the Wild used that space for toy-like play, I wonder if there’s space to fit a Kirby and lots of fun interactions without the sogginess of a lot of open-world conventions.

12 Likes

Yeah, if they do a Kirby and the Amazing Mirror style game in 3D then I’ll be pretty psyched. Wandering one giant Kirby level and bringing rare abilities halfway across the map to solve a puzzle… that’d be fun.

1 Like

most important announcement:
WinBack is back

11 Likes

soft is just one of kirby’s core values

also pink

6 Likes

switch. ps4. steam. mobiles.

actraiser remake. two and a half decades after the rumored saturn remake that only had the action levels. 17 years after the bizarre tiny mobile game with three action stages that apparently only came out in europe?

15 new music tracks. There’s ten known unused ones: ActRaiser Original Soundtrack & Symphonic Suite | WAYO-024~5 - VGMdb

“New stories, expanded action and realm management gameplay, additional action stages, an all-new realm, and a new, powerful boss!”

Nude stories, expanded action and ream management gameplay, additional action stages, an all-nude ream, and a nude, powerful boss!

New magic that was not available in the original game has been added along with the ability to dodge. Players can also attack with upward and downward motions for a more dynamic action experience. You will need every new trick in your arsenal to defeat stronger bosses at the end of the new action stages.

fuck yes dodging. hell yes aerial dodging. angel dodge. fuck.
upward and downward motions!! is this…air juggling?!
dodging and damage numbers and aerial juggling!!!

and the trailer!! the action scenes! I see a level 32 character when the original went up to 17! I see a +20% and a +20%! I see numerical MP!! I don’t see a score? I don’t see a timer? The plant boss at the end of Marahna Act 1 (“Rafflasher”/Rafflesia) now has some kind of wooden lady in it that wasn’t there before?? Oh, there’s level 99!! Magic has a quick recharge time and also there’s some other completely different charging meter?

Is that a new resource in the SIM part? Wood?? Crops??? There’s now “forts”, which I guess are tower defensers?

Yes!!! It’s tower defense!! There’s even little boss peoples!! Or maybe they are heroes?! Who knows!!

please give me a dozen, a hundred, a thousand concerned articles on cultural appropriation, colonailaialisism, new ethnicity-eroding character art, “urban renewal” (using natural disasters to murder people in old housing to clear room for new housing to earn more EXP) and how the new gender-ambiguous(?) angel is now clothed but still doesn’t have pants.

you know what this makes me want?
A Valley Without Wind 3.
Let’s see someone put that on Switch. The originals too.
Put those truly beautiful ugly amazing abominations on everything.
Make settlement decorating with random garbage the main focus.
Have multiplayer settlements. Allow them to raid, invade other settlements.
If your settlement is conquered, the winners come in and give you aesthetic.
Eat shit, Animal Crossing.

Please tell me they changed the main bad guy’s named from “Tanzra” back to “Satan”. If not, I am going to scream. Also, if they did, I am going to scream. No matter what, I am going to scream.

8 Likes

Square pissed at all that SolSeraph money Sega was raking in

6 Likes

earlier today I was trying to set up an Arcen joke but I just couldn’t finish it

3 Likes

I never heard of this! Wow! I have never heard of a million things. Huh.
Wonder what the relative funding/publisher support was between the two projects.
Well, it’s all lost to entropy in the end.

oh, the achievements are already up and being achieved on the Steam.
Steam Community :: Actraiser Renaissance :: Achievements
Some descriptions are hidden, but can quickly be found elsewhere.

All the vaguely From Soft-esque boss titles are cute and all, but “There Will Come Soft Rains” is a curious name-drop, whether it’s referring to the original poem or Bradbury’s short story (which I first read in The Martian Chronicles). Either source is… weighty.

As you might imagine, the Japanese achievement names are sometimes very different.
Take “Peace Be With You”, for example. The trophy description reads: Use the Glorious Sunlight miracle on a monster lair to delay the emergence of fiends. So it makes sense that it’s about bestowing calm. In Japanese, though, it’s called 安全第. Or “safety first”.

Thus, similarly, the dark and literate reference “There Will Come Soft Rains” (Use the Soothing Rains miracle to open the skies above the purified lake of Bloodpool.) is, in Japanese, 増水事件?
Which, as far as I can discern, translates to something like “(has there been) a flooding incident?”, presumably asked from the perspective of a bewildered peasant.

Some others:

• “Come and Be Judged” (Use the Soothing Rains miracle on a monster lair to hasten the emergence of fiends.) is originally 背水の陣, apparently a saying related to a Chinese military battle from 205 BC. No longer a direct and divine invitation to the enemy, but rather a statement on the strategic gamble that is being made.
  • All of the “Fledgling Light” ones for clearing the first stage of a land are much plainer in Japanese. “Fledgling Light in the Marshlands” for Bloodpool is just 湿原の地, or ‘Land of raised bog
  • The ever-snarky “Look on My Works and Despair” is somewhat appropriate, since it involves trying to destroying an ancient monument, but in Japanese it’s simply 古より眠る宝, which DeepL renders as ‘treasure trove from ancient times’
  • Finally, the 100% achievements-achieved achievement - “Divinity’s End” - is much less poetic, but significantly more succinct: COMPLETE!

???
??? ??? ???

anyway there’s apparently a “Special Mode”, which presumably like the original game is all-platform all-the-time, and you can apparently get a score in it. Achievement for 20 million score!! Go for it!!

The little people with levels are tower defense heroes, I guess, because you are in charge of leveling them. Unless it’s one of those tricky games where you can (and want to) level up your enemies, but haha obviously not.

Hell yes!
Upgrade 2 forts! (0/2)
Build 6 workshops! (3/6)

Charge Attack! Offer Guidance! Manage Forts! Wield Miracles!
Incidentally, you can see the angel using lightning to murder around ~70 people in the trailer. Destroy! Expand! Consume!

Apples? Heroes! Towers! Blockades!
This is “Settlement Siege” mode!
Command Ally! Deploy Palisades! Wield Miracles! (against monsters, instead of helpless villagers)

what the hell is a “Greater Rover”

One of the most famous(ly insignificant) theological questions is whether Adam and/or Eve had navels (the belly buttons, not the oranges). I’m a little surprised there isn’t a Wikipedia article on it. Well, if you Google it, you’ll find all manner of curious takes. Incidentally.

Mode 7!!!
I forgive everything.

But wait… there’s still some PR to PaRse… P-arse?

Budding Gods can also enjoy new action phases in which they can infiltrate and destroy monster lairs. These short battles task you with evading monsters and trying to defeat the monster spawner within a limited amount of time, meaning new tactics and strategies may be needed to make short work of your foes.

Not only do the original environments look stellar, there’s also a whole new area added in Actraiser Renaissance, giving even the most hardcore of heroes somewhere new to explore.

In addition to the new area, there’s also a new boss battle to look forward to, giving players an even greater challenge once they’ve managed to usurp Tanzra from his evil throne.

:scream:

:scream_cat: ?

oh, sighted: additional combat moves.

In the action phases however there are a number of new moves. By default, The Master has a three hit combo, and you can modify the combo by holding up while pressing an attack. There’s also an uppercut style attack. All of these pretty much lock you into the attack animation, so it’s intentionally stiff like the original. You can backdash too, like the Iga Castlevania games.

Apparently there’s even more, more, more! action variety in SIM mode too.
But does it allow you to get to 20,000,000 points? It doesn’t seem so.
Play Special Mode! Aim for twenty million! Accept no substitutes!

6 Likes

I appreciate that the Kirby series is either “throw shit against the wall” or “the most conservatively designed platformer”

Canvas Curse, Dream Course and Mass Attack being some of my favorite examples of the former

4 Likes

ngl, I’m actually pretty interested in this, despite it looking distressing similar to modern Mario Kart

2 Likes