SWERY General

Deadly Premonition 2!!! SWERY confirmed he’s directing/writing. Let’s talk about SWERY.

4 Likes

I hope SWERY takes care of himself

is my overwhelming feeling every time I see him

1 Like

Is deadly premonition 1 worth a play? I know nothing except I think I remember hearing it’s basically twin peaks.

It sounds like his leave from Access was medical issues related to overwork. Good Life has help from Grounding and I don’t think the rest of White Owls is involved in DP2, so I wonder if SWERY’s work on GL has winded down with the script done.

He’s also a buddhist monk and still plans to publish his novel about a detective cat. And also keeps travelling to conferences and drinks like a horse. SWERY is as enigmatic as his games.

DP is like Twin Peaks meets The Room. You have to try it even if it’s not for most people.

1 Like

DP also has some weirdly transphobic stuff in at least one of the subplots as I recall, but it has been awhile.

4 Likes

I don’t remember, but if true it’s interesting that The Missing seems to be about coming to terms with sexuality and “nobody being shamed of who they are”

I mean as a transgal I’ve avoided it because of how much it apparently involves a transgender girl screaming in pain while being mutilated to advance the game in a game made entirely by cis people. So…I’m not sure if it’s that much better.

2 Likes

Yeah, it hurts my stomach to see

Deadly Premonition is absolutely bad mixed with good. As amateurish Lynchian fanfic, it clumsily motivates its plot with violence against women and a small heel turn by a crossdresser (probably riffing on Silence of the Lambs); I don’t think it’s trying to be malicious as much as it is ineptly repeating tropes.

The narrative conclusion, where the female protagonist must be killed because she’s literally soiled after being raped by the villain, is truly awful. Again, I think it’s an unexamined use of horror tropes.

Deadly Premonition’s value is in a life sim of a Lynchian town, with modeled hotels, homes, the jail, and townsperson schedules; the game insists you drive a beater around back-country roads and then the protagonist begins talking to the player directly about movies. It’s got a very specific and alluring feeling of place. It’s also got hours of sub-sub-Resident Evil 4 shooting in-between.

6 Likes

This Kotaku article has a decent outline of what some ofthe possible problems in DP1 are. Not saying I necessarily agree with all the complaints, but they are pretty well there. Obviously massive spoilers for anyone who cares about that sort of thing.

anyone play spy fiction

absolutely bonkers cross between Winback and like, the n64 mission impossibpe game

1 Like

it does do a few awful things, as people have mentioned, though i also lean toward reading them as unfortunate missteps rather than true shithead behavior

it’s truly got some Big Weird Stuff in it, and while it’s easy to look at it and be like “lol twin peaks” i think its love for twin peaks is more genuine than cloying and that it brings plenty of its own stuff to the table

really excited the sequel is happening, might take this opportunity to replay 1 finally

a better question is should i finally play d5 or whatever the hell that’s called???

3 Likes

I played the first hour of Spy Fiction and it was actually really fun–like, better to play than DP and D4

1 Like

it IS fun. definitely criminally underrated

1 Like

i never played DP! i’ve been curious, but i think i missed the window of time where it would have mattered to me, maybe?

i bought The Missing when a friend came over because they said we should check it out.

i…kind of hated it?

d4 was developed episodically and never got finished, so it’s really short and ends on a cliffhanger. i liked it for what it was, which is the first third-ish of a time-travelling detective story where everyone has terrible boston accents. could also work as a preview for deadly premonition 2 bc part of that is also set in boston.

1 Like

a certain familiar apartment seems to appear in DP2 at least

1 Like

Oh god, SWERY’s going to do his version of TP The Return isn’t he.

More gameplay in the Japanese trailer including skateboarding

Remember that time WAHP interviewed Swery on their podcast and got Agent York’s voice actor to voice all of Swery’s answers in English?

(skip to 3:16:00 for the interview)

EDIT: Hmmm, don’t think I realized when I first listened to this that the company famous for fighting games he first worked at was SNK. Heard somewhere that he had a lot of involvement with The Last Blade games.