Super Nintendo Explorer's Squad - SimAnt Casting Call

I finally have some time next weekend to record a podcast. I already recruited @ferrets and @Father.Torque, and I’d like to get a total of 5 or 6, so I’d like to get 2-3 more folks to sign up!

https://beta.doodle.com/poll/e37r4h6crinr8xye

here’s a package containing an emulator and the ROM, in case you need it. By default it’s set up for an Xbox 360 controller. Feel free to use your own setup though!

EDITED OUT THANKS TULPA

As a reminder, we discuss the game based on 5 topics, listed below:

Gun - mechanics of play, essentially
Vanity - look, sound, feel, etc.
Mystery - does this game feel like it has any deeper mysteries? interpret as you will
Poetry - anything particularly striking, visually or word-ually or whatever
Harmony - how does it all come together?

Anyway, if you’re recording, please play the game for an hour or so, and take a couple of notes on those 5 topics. I usually just write like, a few things down that I want to remember, but do as you please.

Pinging @OneSecondBefore @sleepysmiles @Godamn_Milkman @CourierRice @Tulpa

5 Likes

8 Likes

Hell yeah, I’m so in. The dates on that Doodle don’t seem right though.

I’m in! But yeah those dates are off.

Yo did we decide on a date & time (pls give in EST)

Frick I posted the wrong doodle. I will transfer everything over to the right one tomorrow in the morning. Oops.

Okay, fixed my dumb ass mistake. Here’s the compiled doodle with the right date:

https://beta.doodle.com/poll/e37r4h6crinr8xye

Gonna call it now and say Saturday from 12-2 PM, since Cuba signed up before Milkman (sorry Milkman).

So there we go! Saturday the 1st at 12 PM, we’ll record this podcast! I’ll post recording details tomorrow or on Saturday. We might use Vent, or we might use Discord. I have to do some testing on the latter.

See everyone then, and thanks for being patient with my silly mistakes and inability to schedule things properly

1 Like

i’m guessing this is 1-3 eastern

Oops, that’s Pacific time so…3-5 PM Eastern. should say that in the doodle

EDIT: Right, it doesn’t say which time slot I picked in the Doodle, duh. But yeah, 12-2 PM PST, so 3-5 PM EST.

I’m gonna have to do all my prep tomorrow morning, but nevertheless I am PUMPED!

For reference, here is the instruction manual from the original PC version of Simant. It’s pretty bonkers and cool, hailing from the days when it made sense to pack a small textbook in with your CD-ROM.

I mean, like, look at this entry from the table of contents:

5: Beyond Ants—Ant-cillary Materials
is a philosophical/literary approach to ants. It contains quotes, myths, fables and legends, fictional books and movies about ants, and covers a wide range of topics from their uses by humans as food and in medicine to their role as “Mascot” of the artificial-life branch of computer science.

Got my notes all written up. I was too depressed recently to play this myself (lol I’m cool), but I hung around while Tulpa streamed it, and then did a fair amount of research via youtube and other text sources. I have a feeling a lot of this is going to go to those with experience playing the PC original, anyway?

Also I mentioned before but I have an idea for a surprise last second category, if someone else isn’t wanting to do it instead. Mine’s more comedic than thoughtful.

I played this on the SNES first - the PC version came after and I did not like it at all!!! There was no cute music and the graphics weren’t as pretty.

I’m also doing my prep this morning. I don’t have a surprise category, so let’s discuss it before the podcast proper begins!

That manual is great.

I think I’m just going to use Vent again this time. Tried and true. Here’s the vent info:

Ventrilo info
http://www.ventrilo.com/
selectbutton.ugt-servers.com
Port: 3862
Pass: l4d

1 Like

I’ve never seen the SNES version of this game. I used to play the PC version a lot. It was easy to beat in one sitting. If the SNES version is to the PC version as it is in the case of SimCity, I will have to try it out.

The PC version had music at least on the title screen, even if it just used the PC speaker. I still have that song going through my head sometimes.

the SNES soundtrack is very very good! stats/history screen and saving musics are so so good

1 Like

I made a flippin twitter account go follow it:

https://twitter.com/snexploration

Did anybody play any of the scenarios? I had only ever played the full game before, there are a bunch of graphics and songs that only get used in the scenarios apparently.

but I died on the first one

Is @Tulpa’s Sim Ant stream archived anywhere? I played the tutorial but I don’t think I have it in me to play a full game of this, and I’d like to watch a fellow SBer try it out.

If it hasn’t been deleted yet you could find it on my twitch channel. I didn’t get very far and pointedly didnt play a tutorial

the scenarios i only played as a kid. they are quite difficult but are also really cool. basically you have to play pretty passively because you only get a few “lives”. they are neato!

gonna try them now to see if i can gather any insight

How picturesque that a big ass ant would crawl directly into my shirt as I attempt to set up ventrilo

2 Likes