Super Nintendo Explorer Squad - podcast casting call

Personally, I like the idea of going into these games without any outside information aside from what’s already in our brains. It feels more… I don’t know, more occult that way?

1 Like

Manuals…Hmmm…

I think that most SNES games are obvious enough to not require a manual - plus if they are super weird, it might be interesting to get our impressions without any scaffolding from documentation. That said, I’m not opposed to anyone reading the manual, I’m just not going to.

I think 8 is enough! I’m calling the time on this: 12-2 PM Pacific on Saturday May 13th. Here’s the finalized poll: https://doodle.com/poll/enhsbtahy33i5aqx

So, folks who are recording: Please play Soul Blazer for at least an hour, and if you can, take (brief) notes about the 5 topics:

Mystery
Poetry
Grandeur
Gun
Harmony

Don’t feel like you need to assign scores or anything - I want to keep the podcast pretty light on structure. Everything else is up to you, and I’ll do my best to lead the discussion on the day of recording.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to doing one of these when my life is a little less hectic and maybe when there aren’t quite so many people dying to be on it. Looking forward to hearing this!

I just played a bit of this game, and I have to say… I think this is the right one to start with.

1 Like

It’s a good bit of luck. It was a truly random decision

Finally had the energy this morning to sit down and knock out a session and write some notes. Just marking down the details as I see them, and letting them percolate in my head. I’m actually gonna try to play the full game, since it’s not terribly long, and it’s pretty enjoyable. That’s right, I’m gonna be that guy.

1 Like

It’s not a bad game, huh??

I remember when I first played it, it took me forever to get over the Actraiser sound effects (which I know came after this). I think I got pretty far though.

Wiki says ActRaiser predates Soul Blazer by over a year! Both in Japanese and Western releases. The few hours I’ve played (I’m roughly a third in, according to an faq) show a lot of ActRaiser likeness, beyond just the sfx. Gonna try and save most of that talk for the cast, though.

Oops! This is worth knowing.

Okay according to that faq I’m 5/8ths of the way through. IMO, if you want plenty of notes for the game, play through the first two towns. The following two towns thus far have mostly retread the themes presented in the first two.

whoa we’re taking notes on themes? I just wrote insomniac nonsense in my text file.

I am at about the same place as you I think, maybe not as far.

I think this is actually ideal. The “5 topics” are more like “5 prompts” I think.

I haven’t played an ounce of this game but I’m going to spend some time with it tomorrow! Between Quake and Grocery Shopping

I’m overachieving because I haven’t been on a podcast before. But my notes are mostly just little observations that I can recall for later.

2 Likes

man, Soul Blazer slays

Dangit, I totally thought we were recording today, for some reason. Oh well, I should still be good for next Saturday.

Just got to the third town in Soul Blazer. I have mixed feelings about this game but something about it makes me want to continue. I’ll probably play a little more before next weekend.

I’m partway through the second town. I might watch a let’s play at this point because it’s getting pretty repetitive, even as charming as it is.

@contentdeleted should we get in on this

I’m down but it seems like there’s already a lot of people signed up? Not sure if there’s room for us to jump on. Of course I’m always down to just play the games

I do think the podcast is all full up right now, I can’t imagine how I’m going to wrangle 8 other nerds already. But what I’m going to do next time is prioritize people who wanted to be on the 'cast but didn’t get a chance this time. So…next time? I’d love to have both of you on this

I got permission to use this song for the intro and outro from Shnabubula:

Specifically the first minute for the intro, and then the level end theme right after that for the outro. Might use parts of it for interstitial but I think I’ll use music from the game featured on the podcast instead.

I think it fits the theme of “The unknown and bizarre SNES,” familiar but immediately different.

4 Likes