Super Nintendo Explorer Squad - podcast casting call

Need a special superany question from @Gorblax every episode I think.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. Or we just have a discussion around the word and then agree at the end on something like “we give this game 15 angry Walt Whitmans for poetry.” It’s mostly a joke rather than something to be seriously considered. The inspiration was Monster Factory’s contextual rating system at the end that mostly serves as a capstone to all the goofs.

Anyone with a microphone and a couple of hours to chat is eligible btw. I’m considering limiting signups to 4 per episode though, I think if we do end up getting 8 people on at once it’ll be a little too raucous.

I was thinking I’d like to do more podcasts! I’d be interested in this, depending on the game!

hire me 4 ur next graphic design job

10 Likes

what about the HOG score

3 Likes

I am so down for this! Great concept and great art.

hi i’m interested in being a part of this

I think I’ve figured out a way to game the scoring system.

9 Likes

wait shit should I be playing soul blazeder right now

I was just gunna wear some red pajamas and pretend I’d played it.

1 Like

omg i am on board.

what’s the first game.

soul blader (its listed on the spreadsheet link in the first post)

1 Like

When can we sign up to participate?

1 Like

I’m trying to decide if I should make a new thread, or use this one for signups. I’m leaning more toward making a new thread.

I also have to decide how to schedule stuff because Doodle kind of sucks? I might use it anyway

But either way I’ll put it up today!

lmk i guess.

Nah, we’ll do the same thread. I’m just weird about organizing shit.

The first game will be Soul Blazer/Soul Blader! Here’s the Doodle sign up:

https://beta.doodle.com/poll/enhsbtahy33i5aqx#table

I’ve chunked it out into two hour blocks on the weekend of the 13th. I’d like to nail a time down pretty soon so we know who can participate and who can’t - that way it’s not a situation where you played the game but can’t be on the podcast. So please sign up as soon as possible! And sign up for as many slots as you’re available!

I’m going to leave this as open as possible since it’s really just a pilot, so if we have 8 people and it’s a total mess…who cares? If there’s too much demand, I might find some way to limit it to only 4 people going forward but I’ll try and be fair about it.

And here’s the link for where we will be recording, for posterity: https://app.zencastr.com/virtualclint/snexploration-squad-episode-0

I will post that again closer to the recording time.

Pinging @Godamn_Milkman @OneSecondBefore @The_Blueberry_Hill @CourierRice @shrug @tibyz @MimeParadox @ferrets @a_new_duck @Tulpa @Father.Torque @botagel @sleepysmiles @american2004 @la_ciel @Notymenow Good christ that’s a lot of people

EDIT: Forgot something! I put together a zip file with SNES9X and the US ROM for Soul Blazer. I took the liberty of changing the video settings to look more like a TV because…I’m like that I guess.

By default, it’s set up for the keyboard, but there’s also an Xbox 360 config file in there. Just delete “snes9x.conf” and rename “snes9x xbox360.conf” to the original file’s name. Might save someone some time.

6 Likes

great, just. Do you have the power to pin this post, cuz it should be the top. TAKIN IT TO THE TOP.

Can’t pin but that’s okay. I think I want to make a separate thread for each episode, so there’s no huntin’ through 500 posts to find a single link.

Also uh, when you’re signing up, pay attention to the time zone it says! I think it will convert to your time zone, but I’m not 100% certain.

EDIT: Milkman says it converts, so that’s good

I’ve got a fully loaded launchbox BUT I’m gonna use the the emulator and rom you posted for the sake of consistency. Also, I just want to show appreciation for your effort.

How worthwhile do you think it would be to include a pdf of the game manual? I know when I attempted my book club, I thought about including it with the more esoteric NES games. I could see it killing some of the mystery, though.