Super Mario 2006

I do like the part where Mario comes down with shroom corprus and cannot contain his growth until an ancient toad gives him the secret vaccine

5 Likes
9 Likes

But is it the successor of Mario 64?

(I wouldn’t know, I haven’t plaeyd it, but all I have heard about the game since it was released seems to say no)

It got hit on both sides for being to conservative and too different a follow up.

But in the grand scheme of things, it’s Mario 64’s hub + worlds with multiple stars with a supplementary moveset (the hover jet) added on top of the existing Mario 64 moveset. And it’s good!

2 Likes

Sunshine has its charms. It’s also gorgeous. I seem to remember the levels are a bit too samey in the end, though.

a lot of the later objectives are just bad, and the controls are really elegant but also pretty difficult for kids, so you have this combination of “OK, the early levels are fun and expansive, sort of, but that fades away, and who is this game for exactly?”

it’s definitely good but I think it was a pretty unambiguous failure

You do get to violently rip the tentacles off of a giant squid though. That counts for something.

1 Like

By the standards of Mario 64’s impact that’s probably true, but I’d certainly rather play Mario Sunshine than Jak, Ratchet, Sly or any competing platformer of that gen (Blinx?)

select button

11 Likes

I think the two main failures are, as mothman says, the jetpack and how it weakens core Mario gameplay while the complexity makes it not solve the accessibility (and it’s depressing that Nintendo still hasn’t gotten it, don’t forget that New Super Mario Bros. outsells the 3D Marios 3-to-1 or more), and the camera; they gave up on Mario 64’s pre-planned angles but full player control of the camera is a hotfix that becomes a necessity and they had to radically change the environment (Mario Galaxy) or limit the 3D (3D Land) to get better.

It’s not clear if they’ve got a better answer in Mario Odyssey or if the action-y part of the game are all limited in 3D movement like 3D Land, so they can rely on a defined camera path. But I always have to remember that even though manual camera control doesn’t bother me it’s one of the biggest accessibility hurdles and problems.

2 Likes

mario sunshine’s traversal is godly

the level design is putrid, the shine objectives are tedious and do not exploit the already poor level design, you have to chase dumbass liquid mario in every stage and this is always terrible, the camera is really not great most of the time, the hub world is straight up inferior to 64, the music is pretty meh

fuck sunshine

3 Likes

I predict and hope one of the enemy possessions’ movesets will be a F.L.U.D.D. tribute.

1 Like

Sunshine was fine

I don’t get why every stage wasn’t that river route where you’re on a lilypad and if Mario falls in the water he instantly dies and it takes ten minutes to get to the island again if you get a game over

1 Like

I’m truly going to be kind of bummed if this game doesn’t have anything as unwieldy and weird as that pinball stage from Sunshine that’s like nearly impossible to control

1 Like

i really think nintendo had no idea what to do with levels that are 4x larger than 64’s. there’s just nothing going on. great movement and experimenting with the waterpack is the only interesting form of play in the game. the rest feels like busywork. it’s a shame, because i love the summery theming and, again, the movement is sublime.

why should a game with sublime movement spend so much time avoiding meaningful applications of it. what the hell is that haunted mansion stage. what the hell is that beach stage with the obnoxious ducks and absolutely zero places of interest. the industrial beach stage with crappy sunshine-yoshi and infuriating platforming.

3 Likes

oops I liked this

If I played Sunshine right now I’m sure I’d agree with most of the criticisms made of it

I also think it’s kinda interesting to have a Core Series Mario game that’s just full of dumb bullshit that seems like no one actually tested it. The way the haunted resort works where you jump through ceilings into bathtubs on the storey above (???) is like… what

3 Likes

Unequivocally the worst thing a Mario game has ever had

2 Likes

i do enjoy how weird it is. i actually sort of like the haunted mansion (sirena beach) stage for how bizarre it is, but it’s also mind-meltingly bad if you’re just trying to progress in the game or enjoy its strengths. when i compare it to hazy maze cave or the haunted mansion from 64, i can’t find much to compliment about it other than i like that it’s different.

i forgot that pianta village is nightmarish as well

the most interesting level (pinna park) has some severe collision issues and just doesn’t quite fulfill its promise. i do dig the meaningful verticality in this stage (noki bay has some too), but there just doesn’t seem to be any element of goodness in this game that isn’t counterbalanced by bugginess, shoddiness, sloppiness, or just straight up poor design

I did like how witcher 2 stole this it was a totally normal thing

Vexx lol