Super Mario 2006

11 Likes

I just love everything about this game.

I dunno

the trailer looks fine, but in practice the game looks ugly and aimless. itā€™s mario, I donā€™t want to explore shit

1 Like

But did you see when Mario fell down to Ash Lake?

2 Likes

I hate that you donā€™t turn small after taking a hit in flatland. Thatā€™s goshdarn unnatural.

Yeah, the game looks conceptually fantastic but as a gameā€¦ Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be fine but Iā€™m not sure any of this is gonna make it a better platformer. The city section plain did not look like that interesting of a place to wander around and at least one place had the player possess a bullet bill to bypass the part where you would actually have to jump around and interact with the layout.

To put it another way, this looks much more interesting than either Galaxy did at this stage; both those games looked more fun to play.

Also Iā€™ll be the one person to hold this position but the city part is displeasing to look at.

Iā€™d still buy it if I had a Switch.

1 Like

I assume thatā€™s why they have currencies, dialogue systems, etc ā€“ this is going to be an ā€˜exploreā€™ Mario with even looser constraints than Mario 64. It looks to create level sections that restrict player power, but briefly ā€“ the moving platform section of that video shows how they can do it by cutting out enemies.

I like explore Mario games and this team has never built one, so Iā€™m game. Nothing Iā€™ve seen yet goes far beyond their ā€˜lite-action & deliteā€™ style.

Whoever codified the small chain sequences with clapping/coin rewards is Nintendoā€™s MVP. Much less intrusive than collectables, the reward is appropriately useless but itā€™s constant small frictions of surprise and conversation with the designers. It got adopted wholesale into Breath of the Wild, too.

3 Likes

so, the bosses are rabbits, hired by Bowser to plan his wedding

an evil wedding planning firm. made up of rabbits. with hats.

4 Likes

Rabbids?

1 Like

everyone shut up, this game looks great

6 Likes

honestly I still donā€™t believe this is a real thing

how many people can share a hallucination

to make a semi serious post about this game after incessant NDC rambling, has anyone made the connection between this game and the 2006 Gamecube game Geist? IIRC Miyamoto was kind of enamored with that one even though in a ton of other ways it seems totally not his style. He apparently even came up with the idea of letting you possess inanimate objects also:

[quote]Ted: We were well into development when we were meeting on a regular basis with NCL. During one of their trips to our offices they brought up the idea that, the fact that Miyamoto-san would see the game on a regular basis. He had immediately commented on an idea of object possession. When [the team] had first heard, they didnā€™t know exactly what he meant. They kind of thought he might just be joking around, apparently he has that kind of sense of humor in the workplace. Eventually Miyamoto-san just said ā€œI think the possession aspect of this game is great and I want to know what itā€™s like to not just possess humans and animals but what would it be like to possess a box or what would it be like to possess a plant?ā€ [Those] were the two examples that he gave [the team]. So during one of NCLā€™s visits it became a priority to do some experi-mentation with object possession, and then figure out how to fit that into the game we were already developing. That was a little bit of a curve-ball, it added some work onto things, but weā€™re really happy where it ended up.

PGC: Can you explain some of the other things that Miyamoto-san influenced?

Dan: The entire development. [laughs]

[/quote]

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/2260/the-geist-interview

5 Likes

geist is a forgotten game that was pretty damn good. unfortunately it gets a bit unfair later in the game, and the combat is roughly meh. but still, pretty neat little title

1 Like

Watching gameplay clips. This Mario game looks amazing.

Has Nintendo finally made Super Mario 65?

Mario Sunshine seems like a pretty direct sequel to me

This game has Fast Travel.

who else is excited to play Marioblivion???

i personally prefer Marriowind!!!

2 Likes

yeah, after Mariowind the lore really takes a nosedive

2 Likes

ā€œItā€™s-a me, Mariovarine!!ā€