Super Mario 2006

Spend purple coins on costumes first because some moons are locked behind those. If you do that, purple coins shouldn’t really be a problem and won’t block progress. I don’t think you get anything for getting 100% of the purple coins in a level other than being able to buy all the stickers and collectibles in the shop.

Collect purple coins so that you can collect them again later as ghosts and get 2 regular coins per each

I love coins

More coins please

Well there’s less gore obviously, except for the postgame content where you return to Mushroom Kingdom disguised as Luigi and eviscerate all the toads for trying to seduce Peach in your absence

2 Likes

My rule-of-thumb is that if the coins are in a sub-area where I probably won’t be able to see them from a binoculars station, I try to go back and get them. Purple coins are generally not hidden inside objects or in stompable mounds, but they can sometimes be hidden behind destroyable items like boxes, all of which can be located in each stage pretty easily–between how much you revisit each kingdom and the fast-travel between check points, the only real challenge after-the-fact is knowing which of a half-dozen cave entrances or what-have-you corresponds to which challenge chamber sub area.

More of you need to be on the leaderboards, and more of you need to add my friend code so I can grumble at those leaderboards.

SW-5837-9374-6589

They’re canny with this, too – when I first visited the ice kingdom I had my tropical shorts on and Mario was freezing. I knew the kingdom would sell a winter coat, but I sympathize with anyone who can’t feel their toes and fingers, so I looked in my closet. The aviator’s outfit looked nice and warm so I put it on, went back outside – and Mario was comfortable as a clam.

then I slipped into the water. God hearing squishy boots you know are filled with ice water is uncomfortable

7 Likes

Just a note but I’m not watching other humans in that complaint; I was referring to watching other NPCs for guidance. In retrospect I thought I should clear up that ambiguity.

Oh yeah! I was wondering if it somehow had a feature where the other runners were actual human players. It would be cool.I guess there are other soulsy aspects though what with the death coins.

Y’know, honestly they could be doing something like that behind the scenes and I’d have no idea. I don’t think they’d go in for dynamic difficulty moons, but who even knows with this game.

I am only a little disappointed that mismatched costumes don’t work in 2D. It does make me hope that some of the singleton apparel pieces have a matching piece I haven’t found yet, though.

2 Likes

ok so post-game spoilers here

even post-mushroom kingdom spoilers

the hidden level right behind the Odyssey on the Dark Side of the Moon has to be some of the most difficult 3D platforming I’ve ever come across. unless I’m missing something it requires total mastery of the long jump and basically Mario’s entire moveset, to not get ‘sploded or fall into a pit. hardest thing I’ve encountered in the game so far, for those of you wantin’ it hard

first time my coin count went to zero… to my surprise, nothing happened. just no more coins.

2 Likes

Is it harder than the boss rush on the dark side of the moon? Ok probably that part isn’t actually as hard as it seems.

Yo player you got to master that move where you jump, throw the hat, dive into it and bounce up for more air, then throw the hat and dive into again for extra range. The freerun master cup in the Wooded Kingdom burned that one into my muscle memory and now I am the master of jumping to and from things.

Currently exploring the Lost Kingdom, just going back through the game at my own leisure, finding moons until they become too sparse or difficult then just moving on to another kingdom I didn’t spend much time in during the rush to save Peach. Normally I don’t rush through a game to the credits but in this case I’m glad I did because it just works either way, whether you take your time or not, and this way I got to see the narrative arc (which has the best ending in any Mario game btw with Peach rejecting both Mario and Bowser’s advances and going off to do her own thing) AND play the game itself.

Almost up to 500 moons, just 9 shy. I’m going to grab them and see what’s up (if anything) before I turn in for the night.

1 Like

yes I think so. I was tearing my hair out on that last night, put it down, then came back tonight and beat it on my second or third try, taking only one hit.

the worst part about this level is that there are actually multiple moons. getting them all in one go is probably impossible.

Sounds good to me!

Also, 500 moons gets you to the darker side of the moon, where a final challenge awaits at journey’s end…

1 Like

Yeah I could play an entire game of Chain Chomp Pool

1 Like

ok i made this Dark Souls joke but then i got to “a certain part” and like, uh, i didn’t mean it literally, Nintendo

6 Likes

I really do think that part of the game is explicitly meant as a Dark Souls parody. Which is something I’d never have expected out of pre-2017 Nintendo. They’ve really turned over a new leaf.

finally they have accepted that it is possible to affect timelessness without also pretending that you are the only man alive

4 Likes

7 Likes

After that, I was surprised one of the kingdoms wasn’t just straight up Hyrule.

1 Like

Probably saving it for DLC

1 Like