Super Mario 2006

Was that a sick burn?

Oh my god this game! I just did a 2D stage in New Donk City that was a recreation of World 1-1 from the original Super Mario Bros. except in a movie theater with a bunch of people watching you play the stage (bonus moon hidden in the sewer screen).

This. Game.

1 Like

SMB was the Citizen Kane of videogames all along

damn it nintendo, stop teasing us with thrilling hints of Captain Toadā€™s wild rides and just fuckinā€™ port Captain Toad to the switch already

They really outdid themselves with the Captain Toad locations in Odyssey

1 Like

i have completed New Donk City and i feel completely good calling this the Game of The Decade (GOTD)

2 Likes

I was at 365 moons when I turned this off. There are so many moons that I know how to get, but are just a bit harder than I currently have the skills to acquire, and thatā€™s wonderful, with one exception: the Lake Kingdom footrace can fuck right off. Yes, yes, the leaderboard times clearly show that people are just jumping over the wall, but even if I pull off my best combo itā€™s too high, and solid ground is too far away for me to execute that combo. I obviously need to watch the other racers to figure out how people are skipping ahead, but Iā€™ve already spent so much time doing this the ā€œrightā€ way that Iā€™m gonna come back to this moon in a couple days.

I canā€™t wait to finish this game so I can go back to it.

yeah my last few hours have been me really digging in to try to get everything in an area for the first time and boy howdy that gets crazy

also i just crossed over into missing more coins than moons in new donk what the hell

wait a sec is this the Dark Souls of Marios or what

when you die, you lose 10 coins, but those coins remain in the same location of your death

not even mario can escape the Grip of From

11 Likes

wait, do they really? well I guess I almost always die from pits so itā€™s not relevant for me anyway.

I think they should be there still, atop the cliff from which you perished

Is this for real? I had this joke post all ready to go for the game ideas thread come on.

I mean there was more to it. Like, I guess the outfits had stats.

Yeah, although I just perceived them as rings of coins in random, odd places where they werenā€™t before. I didnā€™t figure out what was going on until I read ronkā€™s post just now.

10 coins is an insignificant number in Odyssey so thereā€™s not much gameplay reason for it. I guess they just liked the reminder marker of where you died.

as far as i know, the outfits in the game actually donā€™t have stats beyond making it seem like mario is living his best vacation life. i guess if heā€™s not wearing appropriate gear, he ā€œreactsā€ to the environment, but it doesnā€™t seem to affect anything else. this is like, i guess, a ā€œkids versionā€ of Breath of the Wild in a number of ways (i could feel the ā€œmario-nessā€ in BOTW too, it was prepping me for thisā€¦)

i guess what this game lacks in the super-tight platforming exercises of 3D World, it makes up for it by just having really nice open playgrounds (where sometimes you come across good platforming exercises, usually in the scarecrow time challenges).

its taking me a while to actually ā€œfinishā€ this game because iā€™m slowly just trying to comb through getting moons & purple coins

2 Likes

Iā€™m unclear on how much effort I should devote to getting purple coins. Some of them are really annoying to reach, but I know if I donā€™t get them when I see them, they will be hard to find again later. But will I even care about getting them later?

Unlike with the star coins in 3D world, I hear there is not any playable content locked behind even 100% moon completion let alone purple coins. The sheer abundance creates more flexibility about how you choose to approach the collectibles. Thatā€™s another thing it has in common with BotW (shrines and especially korok seeds).

1 Like

depends on how much you want to deck out your airship with local flavor. 100 purple coins buy everything in the purple shops, stickers and souvenirs which are then placed in/on your ship

I have yet to get a ā€˜game overā€™ as coins are indeed abundant but you can make it a little harder on yourself (especially in the post-game stuff Iā€™m finding) by spending as many coins as you can to buy stupid shit like boxer shorts and clown regalia

the nod to Souls is kinda appropriate what w/ Demonā€™s nod to Mario with the 1-1 1-2 1-3 nature of the levels

Early post-game spoiler: Yoshi controls really weirdly. The hover jump makes sense to me, but I donā€™t see the point of his move where he grabs the wall with his tongue and then grips it like Knuckles. Is it only a crappy wall-jump substitute, or is there more you can do with it?

how does this game compare to super mario iliad?

2 Likes