STUNLOCK THE PRESSES: combo breaking news (Part 1)

I also think there’s more willingness to make up a hardware loss leader in software, especially when there’s like, a 50% price premium even over steam’s 30% take

2 Likes

They have to recoup all that with PS+ anyway, right? The service model is probably making bank

2 Likes

Microsoft currently has a financing plan that bundles Game Pass and Live with a console over two years for $20-$25/mo., which seems like the only reasonable way to launch a console in Q4 2020.

6 Likes

I think we haven’t talked enough about the Intellivision Amico - I’ve went back to this vid a few times this past two days because it’s just fadcinating. This sounds so much worse than the Ouya and it comes 7 years later? It’s going to cost 250 dollars??

The first game showcased is like a 2005 Flash version of a 1981 game with enormous readability issues. The last game is Earthworm Jim and the gameplay doesn’t even show him do any action he just moves right and there’s nothing to interact with

Literally all the devs are (Mostly old) white guys. The « family-oriented » vision of the console is repeated over and over and it’s this very 90s America vision of family-oriented; no bad words or sex but violence is acceptable. Tamico (?) is the only person who really seems excited about this project and he spends a few minutes in the video looking at console parts and admitting he doesn’t know what they do

I’m not even coming back to this video just to mock everything, Tamico looks like a friend of mine and I just feel kind of bad about this unending hubris on display there

7 Likes

I just assume that the folks we see already have their funding and are fulfilling PR obligations before they can walk away

1 Like

I’m still just flummoxed people think the Intellivision brand is strong enough to move anything at all.

6 Likes

Is The Last of Us: Part II Amico the Citizen Kane Quibi of videogames?

4 Likes

From some glancing around Twitter and Reddit, I did just discover that preorders sold fast and there are apparently a handful of bizarre Intellivision devotees out there.

Wasn’t one of Ouya’s big selling points that it was super easy to publish games on it and just about anything that could work on an Android phone could come over Ouya real easy?

Like this doesn’t even have that, right? So they’re pitching the walledest walled garden of games that mostly look like they’d be at home on the $10 2-CD Encyclopedia of Games I got from Walmart in 1996 for the cost of a Switch.

Like at least the weird Playdate hardware has a unique hardware hook.

I mean, if there’s a market for people with an early imprinted sexual fixation on Intellivision as a brand, someone has to something useless to them in a post-post-Fordist economy, I guess.

5 Likes

I think Anthem is the Quibi of video games honestly

3 Likes

Surely Ouya?

Amico: The Ouya of Video Games

5 Likes

trashy anime aesthetic notwithstanding this honestly looks more fun than botw

3 Likes
2 Likes

I couldn’t remember what the deals thread was called but as a reminder that new Total War game based on Troy is going to be free for 24 hours on the Epic Game Store when it comes out this Thursday.

2 Likes

Ahahaha! Oh no.

4 Likes

Clock King?

2 Likes

Apparently there was another WB studio trying to make a Suicide Squad game at one point but couldn’t find the fun. Maybe Rocksteady had better luck.

The Watchmen.

4 Likes

Honestly kind of distressing to see everything about the watchmen get commodified and commercialized after it spent years in a limbo where it was a big mainstream work that wasn’t exploited to death.

9 Likes

Yeah, they’re really going all in over the past year. Feels like a fire sale.

Here’s hoping for V for Vendetta DLC!

5 Likes