Streets of Rage 4

hm, not immediately in love with it, but it sounds all right. i’ll have to listen through non-laptop speakers, though.

edit: ok yeah, it sounds a lot better through monitors than it does on laptop speakers, nvm; into it.

you could tell after about two seconds that it was a kawashima track, which is nice.

2 Likes

Oh dang that’s a banger

1 Like

Sengoku 3 played on candy cab in dev. office is imo a good sign

1 Like

Also the curious absence of any footage or mention of SOR3, the sequel I never cared for.

I mean the first real trailer featured a Motohiro Kawashima song.

At the Motohiro Kawashima X Yuzo Koshiro show Me and @dylan went to they talked very very briefly about SoR4. Koshiro wasn’t finished with his song. The MC asked if he “wanted to talk about that thing?” “No.”

I guess that thing was him producing 50 SNK tracks for Smash.

Then they played one SoR3 track. Maybe more during the encore but we had to get back to Yokohama.

3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

I still have zero confidence in this but will buy it. Streets of Rage now with completely generic retrocore!

4 Likes

they’ve released a few trailers at this point, and i still don’t recall any sign of That Most Hated Evil.
could this end up being an actual pure beat em up?

1 Like

Don’t care about sore 4, I just came into this thread to say NARC, the comically conversative game, should actually be considered leftist nowadays. “Public enemy #1” is a cigar-chomping businessman flagrantly operating an illegal corporation from a skyscraper. The city is full of stores openly offering contraband and criminal services - that’s only possible if the police are in on it. That’s why you’re not getting any support; you don’t even have a uniform or official car. The enemies are explicitly military, trained dogs, industrial chemists, suits - they’re all republicans! They’re not poor civilians at all. A single tech enthusiast owns the whole region and he’s so wealthy he has rooms full of gold bars. Yet rogue government officials are willing to risk their lives to end his sinister control. That’s a bleeding-heart hippie fantasy. Nowadays conservatives make games about being the drug-pushing city owner.

NARC was on our side all along. When it asks you to “contact your local DEA recruiter” after hours of killing everyone you see… what do you think it wants you to do?

3 Likes

there is a whole thread for other beat em ups

but that is an interesting take on narc :thinking:
most of the street crime themed beat em ups finish with you fighting an oligarch on the top floor of a skyscraper

Somebody move my post please. Anyway this has been said before but all classic beat’em’ups are (accidentally) leftist. Violently taking to the streets to destroy your social betters and not getting mown down by helicopters and mobs of scabs is a leftist fantasy. Beat’em’ups always punch up by nature of the genre, you are the minority and your enemies have all the resources. (Except the most powerful resource in the world - WILLFUL ACTION!) And I can’t help but notice this idealistic leftist genre is dead. As soon as they couldn’t get quarters out of it, capitalists filled the genre with unlockables, purchases and experience levels, tools of compulsion and addiction. Beat’em’ups belong to Mr. Big now.

The protagonists of NARC are supposedly invincible hero cops, right? But the game is impossible to complete without dying. That’s a social statement. Even the most bootlicking fantasy toy of 1988 thinks that cops need to sacrifice themselves to end the domination of the wealthy. It recommended that to children. NARC is humanist.

1 Like

I think NARC is the bastardized low-culture version of Robocop, which is already a reflected version of 2000 AD. It obviously means to be satirical of ‘Just Say No’ campaigns and carry a counterculture attitude but within the kaleidoscope testorone-zone of '90s games advertising there’s no way that comes out well

1 Like

reminder that NARC literally actually tells the player to sign up to be a DEA agent after finishing the game

4 Likes

NARC, the 1988 cop game where you explode rich criminals with rockets, is leftist now. The final antagonist is a giant skull on a tank: death itself, the ultimate expression of weaponized technology and wealth.

2 Likes

I think that’s their best joke

1 Like

NARC has an enemy who throws a giant syringe at you full of heroin that makes you instantly OD and I think it was incredibly brave of them to shed some light on the opioid crisis like that. NARC is woke.