Street Fight Money V

Don’t fear the single game fighting thread, this is STREET FIGHTER FIVE we’re talking about. It’s only the biggest game in the genre and the Street Fighter-as-a-Service game Capcom’s gonna be pushing for years. We can make this work separate from the random fighting game discussion. Get your Capcom Fighters Network/PSN IDs on here, talk strategy, etc.

CFN/PSN name: firenze (on both)

SF is my one online game exception, normally I can’t be bothered to even play stuff online, and good freaking luck getting me to commit to any time unless there’s some SB mega-event. But I’d absolutely do some Street Fighting with anyone here if I see you on.

I think I’ve settled on Laura as my main, and I tend to stick with characters in a Street Fighter generation. Some of you may recall many years of SF3 Dudley as my SB avatar, and I stuck with Rose through all the SF4 games.

Anyway, Street Fighting. Discuss.

A+ thread title

I literally plateaued in this game on day 2

it takes longer for me to find a game than the top players because the game can’t find people bad enough

I just lost 400 lp without winning a round. I am lower lp right now than I was on day one.

1 Like

Just play casual matches?

Why is there no rematch option in casuals?

What if Capcom allowed you to spend fightmoney to salty-rematch dudes in Ranked?

I think for all the thoughtful gameplay ideas they could do a deeper dive into rethinking the matchmaking ideas. Should be a more system-encouraged way to build up and learn and adapt to people’s styles. I guess you don’t really have these oportunities in tourney play either, put up or shut up right away playtime is over? Maybe we shouldn’t be thinking of Ranked as the default mode of play and instead the constant Capcom Pro Tour feeder series it is.

Wish capcom would have a Kaillera-style native text-chat option built into the game instead of relying on the PSN email backend. I don’t want to talk into a microphone at strangers, can you even do this? I’ve haven’t heard anyone else talking so far.

Hit a wall in the 1000s last time I was playing as they start deducting the same amount of points for losing as are awarded for winning (I think?) and start matching you against functional players.

My secret schoolyard wish for Street Fighter is a game rendered menu system. Like just camera pans through environments, character select screen just has all the models hanging out, lobbies just clusters of dudes sitting around, you know what I’m saying you get it we’re on the same page.

In general I like this game it feels good. I appreciate it’s ethos of removing cruft and simplifying. Crush Counters pretty cool mechanic. Seems to have a real bias towards rushdown and heavy pressure but I don’t know how to design a fighting videogame or even play them well and so does every other contemporary game? The one-off nature of Ranked matches also contributes to and rewards this kind of all-or-nothing shutem the fuck down playstyle, I think.

I kind of facepalm at ‘trigger warning’ jokes now due to being associated with way too many idiots

Hitting up that SFV in a month or so, not quite yet, but keeping an eye on characters. Interested in Karin and Chun atm.

i’m not sure what to make of this so far, feel like it might be very dry at high level like early sf4

Yeah, not feeling the thread title.

I think I saw complaints about the soundtrack in the general fighting thread but just about everything I’ve heard so far has been a huge step up from SFIV and cross tekken. Fang’s theme rules

Also Ace Combat composer Keiki Kobayashi did the boss stage theme

Re: thread title, if it’s overwhelmingly hated by lots of people (i.e. more than a couple people aren’t “feeling it”), speak up. And maybe explain if you just don’t think it’s a particularly funny joke (in which case who cares, there are plenty of intended to be funny thread titles that don’t work with my sense of humor), or if you’re actually offended. BUT… don’t just complain - suggest some good creative alternatives if you want a change.

I see some people like it though! V-Trigger being one of the key unique systems in the game… the stereotypical “salty” nature of fighting game discussion…mumble mumble overexplaining the joke so I’ll stop now…

I’ll agree with you that it’s a step up from SFIV and I can barely even remember SFxT… Not gonna beat SF2 (iconic and original, remixes are just aping the originator), SF3 (obviously!), or the Alpha games in my book though.

I dig the samba influenced Brazil stage theme a LOT (but Laura’s character theme… not so much)

I kinda see how the remixed past themes aren’t super exciting and new. And I guess I see how some are hit or miss (I like Rashid’s drum and bass track, but I get that some people won’t be able to stand it)…

Yeah I should have elaborated. I think it’s quite problematic to joke about trigger warnings, even if there was no ill intent. When they serve a legitimate purpose (which is ideally the only time they should be used) they aren’t often taken seriously at present, so I think that the incorporation of a joke is inherently problematic, as it undermines the potential good trigger warnings can do.

So yeah, I would like to change it but witty thread titles are not my forte. I’m happy to talk more about this also.

The only time you’re ever going to hear me lament the loss of a piece of male-gaze-pandering is in this game, because they took out R. Mika’s ass-slap-as-punctuation, which I thought was fucking hilarious. But I guess maybe the whole world is better off.

1 Like

I really dislike – or worse, don’t notice – almost all of the tracks in the game, except F.A.N.G.'s, which rules.

F.A.N.G. also rules. He’s a ton of fun, and playing him got me into the game in a way that I just was not feeling at all playing the betas as other characters.

I would like to think that this place is somewhere you can take for granted that trigger warnings are a useful and respected concept while still being able to joke about them like so

but if you don’t think we’ve proved that sufficiently, I’d understand

CFN is sixteenbit

hmu whenever, I play Laura

Re: thread title, I think it’s just that this forum doesn’t exist in a vacuum so people just want to avoid the possible association with those other cultures, especially for lurkers. “Street Fighter V has come to” is still the best joke.

My CFN is PooglyWoogly. Do we want to organize them in this thread’s first post or should we add a section to the SB wiki?

I still haven’t been able to put much time into this game but I enjoy the way it feels despite not being able to find a character that I really fancy. I like how the addition of crush counters on heavy attacks (and the removal of the ability to hit-confirm lights into big damage) adds additional emphasis the usage of each strength level. Heavy attacks have extra reward for smart usage in exchange for long start-up while lights go back to being low reward without meter but safe, good for establishing advantage, and for stealing turns (which CAN convert into big damage on counter-hit). Mediums are the compromise between the two.

My friend played Hakan in SF4 and he was really looking forward to playing a better character in SF5 (ended up choosing Necalli) but this game has been making him absolutely rage. Really, I think the lack of gimmicks has been revealing how bad his footsies and ability to read players were. He’s been getting mad at his character a lot, wishing Necalli wasn’t so bad, but I’ve been prodding him into thinking about his matches on a more fundamental level. Not that I am particular good at any of that myself but I think the removal of FADCs and crouch teching is forcing him to re-evaluate his entire mindset on how to approach matches. So that’s nice.

1 Like

*unless you play Chun Li

That’s actually a very good point that I don’t think enough about when I’m giving us all this social credit to potentially abuse. Thanks!

OK, changing the title then. Not trying to legit offend anyone, damage the forum’s image, etc. And I think even the people who didn’t care for it probably get that it certainly wasn’t intended in any malicious way. Seriously though, anybody who can come up with a better title lemme know. I feel like the new one is way less inspired than the previous attempt.

As for game stuff… anyone actually finishing Hard Survival Mode yet? Tips? I seem to get wrecked on hard, well before even hitting 30. Is this the part of “game design” where I’m inevitably gonna have to pay fight money (or real money) to unlock colors and costumes and stuff?

2 Likes

Yeah this is a great point, particularly when we consider the hyper masculinity associated with fighting game culture in general. Also, great thread title.

1 Like