streaming services 2021 thread? (fk spotify)

I only begrudgingly signed up for Spotify because some of my friends kept sending me links to check shit out and I got tired of tracking down those songs elsewhere for a first listen. If I like it though, I go buy it on Bandcamp if possible.

2 Likes

if you just need a streaming service to complement your Bandcamp/SoundCloud/Soulseek listening I can’t recommend YouTube Premium enough just for the ad-free video part. I’m always astonished at how much preroll they run for short videos — logged in on my work computer so I wouldn’t have to watch preroll before tutorials.

I just dislike the specific Googley half-baked app and commingling the recommendation algorithm with general YouTube, e.g.

That said I am a perfect storm to fuck up a markov chain so ymmv

1 Like

spotify recommends me the same dozen songs all the time and now pushes podcasts something fierce (i assume because they don’t pay anything at all for them) even though i’ve never actually used it for podcasts

so despite having access to all of the music i listen less than ever before

the worst thing??? it keeps recommending trashfuture

I mostly ignore Spotify recs? Like I think the only one I use is the Discover Weekly one, which seems to fluctuate decently based on whatever I was listening to last week. Otherwise I just use it to look up stuff I already know or find mentioned elsewhere.

1 Like

bandcamp has a streaming app too it’s not bad

4 Likes

Apple Music has its own family plan, if that’s an option.

I use YouTube Music because I am grandfathered in on a lower price for both YouTube Premium and YouTube music. I always forget just how annoying ads can be on YT otherwise. I actually use regular youtube for a lot of music so I guess the ad-free from YT Premium helps there.

I haven’t used any music app extensively outside of YT Music so I always assume other services have better UIs and catalogues, but I can’t really say either way whether it’s actually good or bad compared to other services. I don’t think it’s great for discovering or following artists in any way other than just having their music pop up randomly through an auto-playlist/“radio”.

yeah, I resorted to ignoring spotify recs too, bc they suck, but like… i would like a streaming service that doesn’t incentivize me to do that

like i am dying for some curated lists of shit i might like, not just machine generated nonsense (most of these algorithms rly suck for my adhd brain, always giving me the wrong thing at the wrong time)

apple music at a glance seems like it might have this?

1 Like

yeah I ofc will use bandcamp whenever, it’s the best shit for less mainstream music and i purchase thru there, i just need to figure out a last.fm solution for it. if every artist i cared about was on there, it would be so dope

Yeah, Apple Music has staff curation for playlists. Google Play Music did but since switching over to YouTube Music I’ve noticed almost everything is machine-based.

1 Like

apple music does have heavy standardisation of song titles, everything Japanese is written in romaji and anything that looks like a rude word is censored (e.g. the Latin ‘cum’ becomes c*m)

i figure if there’s anyone else who would be slightly bothered by this they’d post here so

3 Likes

Regrettably, it is…pretty not-good? Not that I don’t still use it, dear lord, it needs a serious UI/UX overhaul though.

This may be semi-specific to me and others who have my use cases (likely other olds) – I don’t read anything on my phone, and when I’m using it, I just want to get to the actual music as quick as possible. The Bandcamp app is too close to how the web app operates, which concentrates on music discovery over accessing your existing collection, which I actually really like, it just shouldn’t also be how a mobile app also works eye emm oh.

1 Like

so, how would witch house look an apple music?

1 Like

i’m having a hard time even finding any on the catalogue so i guess there’s your answer. there’s like, an old Salem single and a Horse MacGyver album from 2019, and oOoOO, but i can’t find anything that would have used the funky Unicode characters

1 Like

Is Apple Music the reason some releases of Vision Creation Newsun have track titles like (circle), (star), etc?

I fuckin hate apple

3 Likes

that album isn’t in the apple music catalogue but maybe!

i have some rip probably off soulseek with those titles that predates apple music by a very long time, wouldn’t surprise me if some weird/ancient devices hate unicode titles

1 Like

The iPod’s OS only supported a subset of UTF-8 characters with its font

I will relapse into hours of metadata gardening if I think about it at all

3 Likes

Same, I’ve got my foobar set up so that it alphabetizes artists according to the latin alphabet but displays the original language, and that required quite a bit of curation to get tags just right.

4 Likes

Use Marvis with my mp3s think it is a wonderful app.

Then spotify for what I don’t have on hand buying stuff whenever possible.

1 Like

just vibrating with excitement at the thought of all these fucked up tagging systems, meanwhile i’m only motivated enough to make sure every compilation album has “various artists” for the album artist

4 Likes