Strange Adventures in DC Comics

This is my thread for talking about all the DC Comics shit I’ve been up to. Feel free to post your own discoveries and adventures herein. This isn’t for shows and movies. The shows and movies go somewhere else.

I’ve been helping a writer/artist do research for an upcoming back-up story about The Phantom Zone. Here’s the dossier I put together on what’s been going on with it since The New 52.

4 Likes

I will also hold court over the DC Universe within this thread, answering any questions you might have.

should i ever read DC again

Once I start officially working for them, yes

3 Likes

If the purpose of rebirth is to simplify and streamline things for contemporary tastes and audiences why, alongside with back to basics style batman and wonderwoman boosk, are there also 2 supermans, each with their own lois lanes, one possibly with a super-son, each from two different in-multiverse universes* that may or may not have been superimposed on each other by Dr Manhattan from 80’s deconstructivist classic Alan Moore’s Watchmen™, for various reasons. *( which correspond to new 52 and pre - new 52 publishing lines in a way that comics physicists have yet to determine )

1 Like

The Superman line is currently under reconstruction. This business of there being “two Supermans” is an ongoing Silver Agey story which will soon be rectified. By the end of this arc, there will be one Superman with one Lois and one kid.

Basically the last year or so of Superman stories has been a way to rectify the wild departures from Superman’s Core in New 52 (thanks Grant Morrison, and Scott Lobdell) with the Superman people actually like in a satisfying way. I think it’s being done in a pretty interesting way.

Right, sure. I just think its like some subconscious thing where DC is like, ‘lets clear the table and have a narrative spring cleaning’, and then they do the whole thing, but they were sort of faking it, and the encrusted hoardings of continuity remain. I really don’t get why, for the same reasons, that whole thing of some random characters remembering the pre-crisis (the original crisis) universe persisted for soo long, if they also recognised that the unvierse still needed streamlining, necessitating zero hour and such like.

*edit, sorry didn’t see your second reply as I was making this one. That sounds reasonable, about them wanting to explain the recent Morrison era. But I don’t know why they didn’t just magic the new superman into existence.

Is this happening? Are congratulations in order?

Not set in stone yet but it’s looking good

3 Likes

Fingers crossed!

Well, the bright idea was to introduce Classic Superman as a tie-in to their Convergence event in 2015, but that turned out to be kind of a bomb. The most recent Superman arc, Superman Reborn, recontextualizes this Super-Dichotomy as the means of Mxyzptlk’s return to the fold, which is pretty neat

i thought morrison’s superman was the one people actually like

comic companies and wrestling companies feel so similar at times

anyway, the only current dc books i read are gotham academy (which i love) and detective comics (which is pretty good too), but as long as they keep going how they’ve been going (especially with detective being a batfamily team book), that’ll be fine

i hope after the new 52 mess is cleaned up, dc never do another reboot. i like characters to have histories and feel like characters rather than t-shirt designs

Blackest Night seemed to be one of the most successful comic events ever, and I know a bunch of Marvel only types who suddenly started buying D.C. books and started bringing Parallax and the Anti-Life Equation up in polite conversation.

Blowing that all up immediately after with New 52 seemed like the most ill advised move ever. Even more so with a major Batman arc in mid motion.

That being said, I did buy a couple issues of that Frankenstein book.

What’s going on over there!?

All-Star Superman is the Morrison Superman people like. The one he set up with Action Comics early in the New 52 and whose faults were exacerbated by people like Lobdell, not so much.

It is very unlikely that DC will never do another reboot. Expect one in 2021.

2 Likes

Well, when The New 52 started, the only two lines that didn’t really get a reboot were Green Lantern and Batman - the success of Blackest Night being the reason for the former. You could go into the New 52 GL books and see them pick up right where the old ones leave off, and that still holds true. Green Lantern has been one continuous story since Johns did the Green Lantern: Rebirth miniseries where Hal came back to life in 2004.

1 Like

@LaurelSoup is totally right: having been a lifelong marvel fan, a bunch of things like seven soldiers, final crisis, blackest night, steph brown batgirl etc. got me really interested in dc.

then suddenly, it was all gone and i didn’t buy another dc comic for about 4 years when gotham academy launched

(edit: except the leviathan strikes oneshot)

1 Like

Will DC get better about putting out trades in a timely fashion

I can’t fucking stand comics with ads in the midst of story pages

1 Like

I’m being considered for editor of the trades, so, they will be if I have anything to say about it!

6 Likes

If the Batman I enjoyed the most was All Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder, is there anything else in that vein or should I just be thankful for the ten issues I got?