sprite-based first-person games (with mobile avatar and granular turn increments)

http://www.ionfury.com/

August 15th.

2 Likes

1 Like

i have literally no information besides this tweet, but the angle the walls are at make me think this nameless thing might count

4 Likes

I can’t put my finger on why. But, for some reason while watching this: I’m getting Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion vibes.

http://pcex.retrohost.net/
4 Likes

I remember that game being pretty decent

3 Likes

Something to look forward to, they’re hoping for a November release, if not earlier.

https://theforceengine.github.io/

The Force Engine is a project to reverse engineer and rebuild the Jedi Engine for modern systems and the games that used that engine - Dark Forces and Outlaws . The project includes modern, built-in tools, such as a level editor and makes it easy to play Dark Forces and Outlaws on modern systems as well as the many community mods designed to work with the original games.

Playing Dark Forces or Outlaws using the Force Engine adds ease of use and modern features such as higher resolutions and modern control schemes such as mouse-look. Using the built-in tools allows for easier modding with more modern UI, greater flexibility and the ability to use enhancements made to the Jedi Engine for Outlaws in custom Dark Forces levels - such as slopes, stacked sectors, per-sector color maps and more.

Note that this project aims to replace the executables but you will need the original game data to play. This is not a remake but a way to make the original games easier to play on modern systems, to provide optional improvements such as modern controls and higher resolution rendering and to provide enhanced modding support and tools. If you do not already own Dark Forces and/or Outlaws, you will need to purchase them to play them using the Force Engine. Both games are currently available on the Steam and GOG digital stores.

5 Likes

Both of these games are SO GOOD, mad hype

just want to say that I finally played this a month or so ago and it became one of my favorite shooters of this era and I look forward to the eventual release of a cleaned up port that fixes the aiming (and ideally imports the larger vistas and more impressive scenery of the saturn release)

Honestly tickled about the choice of reissues this publisher goes with.

You can get both this game and it’s unreleased sequel for free from the original devs.

3 Likes

Apart from a few effects this doesn’t really qualify but thought it was still notable because of how it tries to replicate the look:

1 Like

A sprite-based FPS designed for VR would look weird as fuck and I’m into the idea. And yes, I realize you can play DOOM in VR, but it is nauseating and absolutely not meant for VR.

Yeah this seems great in theory but I can’t imagine playing this without wanting to ralph after 15 minutes

Is Dark Forces “sprite-based”?

1 Like

Sure is! It’s the same kind of axis aligned prism-based engine as the doom engine (in fact they reverse-engineered it). The big giveaway was of course that you could only look up and down the same way as in, say, Hexen or Duke3d. Vertical lines would remain vertical so you couldn’t look straight up, they only allowed you like 45° because beyond that the distortion of the vanishing point would become too obvious.

However, the engine had a number of additional features. One is you could dynamically show or hide parts of levels, which allowed them to overlap, which allowed them to have stuff a single elevator stopping at multiple floors without the use of a stealth teleporter like in doom engine games or Duke3d (Duke could have overlapping sectors but not connected to the same wall and with the caveat overlapping sectors couldn’t be visible at the same time, a limitation that Dark Forces also has).

The real spectacular bit was that you could have actual polygonal models rendered on top of the levels, which was used for spaceships and a couple holograms in the first level. You couldn’t use them for anything but window dressing but there was some trickery (each sector could have an extra, invisible floor above the normal one) to allow for seemingly tangible bridges.

4 Likes

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/47/heaven-slash

tweet is intentionally misleading, hehe, it’s a current indie game stylized like an old pc98 thing

8 Likes