Anarchy in the Splatlands (the thread formerly known as The Splatoon 2 Thread)

the splatling gods have heard my prayers and seen my devotion and have rewarded me thusly

1 Like

Whoa, how many scrubs did that take? If itā€™s anything like the previous game, youā€™re more likely to get specific skills with specific brandsā€¦ btw, in case anyone missed it, the urchin kid is scrubbing any skills on the temporary splatfest tee for a discounted price :3

the joke is that I didnā€™t scrub any of those gears at all. the shirt actually rolled ink saver on the first two slots even though I had the sub defense boost active and I used some left over chunks to slot in that ink recovery in the fourth slot

so what happened is that Iā€™m stupidly lucky

does anyone have any ability insight

i mean do you even really want that many main ink savers, arenā€™t there diminishing returns

how many refill boosters is too many

how good are the movement abilities really

i think iā€™ve finally found a non-roller that works for me and itā€™s the Aerospray MG. good range and coverage plus my favorite type of grenades. i got it up to 12.5 Fresh. iā€™m in the B+ range for all the ranked battles and iā€™m starting to hit the wall when it comes to ā€œgetting fuckinā€™ dunked onā€ in rainmaker matches.

has anyone been using the Splatoon 2 mobile app thing? they track your last 50 battleā€™s win/loss ratio. itā€™s kinda intimidating to see exactly how much inked ive logged in the entire game and wondering how many hours iā€™ve actually logged into this thing, which is a fuckinā€™ lot since itā€™s release.

The simple logic is that the more like skills you have on gear, you get a smaller return on each copy of the skill. Ink resistance and Stealth Swim were pretty strong skills in the first game but got nerfed later. Stealth Swim was pretty fun for rollers and other close range weapons provided you had good map coverage so you could swim where you want. Revenge, I think itā€™s the skill that displays the location of the player that killed you, is fun if your a vindictive sort like me and to add to your awareness. Right now Iā€™m not caring to much about skills and boosts, I just want level up and get more weapons.

Boring testing:

no ink saver: 4.5 splatling charges

just that shirt (1 main and 2 sub ink savers): 5.5

my loadout: 6.5

Iā€™ll take it, nuts to running out of ink

In addition to the above, people in the first game would also run loads of quick re-spawn + stealth jump. That meant you could go in really aggressively, trade with another player, and get back into the match quickly. It almost rewarded bombastic, thoughtless play. So thatā€™s why they nerfed quick respawn in splatoon 2; now, if you trade with someone, its effects are completely nullified. Thereā€™s also quick respawn punisher. Still, I think quick respawn is a valuable ability.

In general, youā€™ve got to think about how your weapon will pair with the abilities. If youā€™re using a really ink-hungry weapon, then ink-saver or ink replenisher might be useful. If youā€™re using a roller or brush, in which case you need a lot of mobility and you might be getting splatted often on kamikaze missions, quick respawn + swim speed are good (in fact, I feel like a bit of swim speed is good for almost any weapon ā€“ especially in rainmaker ā€“ I feel super sluggish without it). Ink resistance is also a good all-round utility, especially in splatzones (actually, @notbov, ink resistance might be useful for your splatling, cause often with splatlings you find yourself in enemy ink with no easy way of getting out).

But yeah, just pick abilities that suit your play style, I guess? It seems like the meta hasnā€™t completely firmed up at this point, so it might be worth experimentingā€¦

ā€œbut do I look freshā€

thatā€™s the only question that matters when it comes to gear

3 Likes

Oh, and one other thing; if abilities work the same way as in the first game, the ā€˜mainā€™ ability on your clothing is worth 3x the amount of any secondary abilities you get. It took me a long time to realise that in the first game. I think it might still be the same?

Iā€™m really worried about this splatfest; one side will be shooting a thick, off-white liquid and the other side will explode in some kind of neon red-pink color

Also, furries, Iā€™m cool with you drawing art, just leave the ones with ā€œmayoā€ being splattered off my childrenā€™s game please

btw @notbov, I was playing ranked last night and definitely noticed the thing where the tenta missile shadows didnā€™t show up; they just exploded without warning. Could be a lag issue, perhaps?

Also, Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of tri sloshers in ranked, and this explains why:

It just baffles me how they could get the balancing so off after all the issues they had in the first game. Obviously thereā€™s always gonna be a meta, but this seems like a pretty big oversight!

really poppinā€™ off in the square

5 Likes

i am gettin splatfest hype

I would be fine with tri-sloshers being able to run up and snatch souls if they didnā€™t have ink armor

I was there day 1 going ā€œman, ink armor sure is goodā€ but I didnā€™t think it would turn into ā€œoh god theyā€™ve coordinated their multiple ink armors, lord have mercyā€

I just found out I canā€™t send a fucking message to my friends on switch so I ask whichever one of you youkals is chimbuku if they want to play together.

That would be me, which mode are you playing?

Also my internet appears to be working again, itā€™s a Christmas miracle

Scratch that, seems it can only handle salmon Run, 8 players still kills it

Also sorry rudie looks like you are gone already

Are yā€™all splatfesting? Is anyone getting way more disconnects than usual? Also Iā€™ve got a potential group of 3 if anyone wants to be a fourth foe team ketchup