SPAIN POKEMON... YOUR CHOICE: a cavewoman riding a dirtbike or a tron contestant riding a hovercraft.

When my mum gave me that sandwich I thought it might be some sort of strange endgame item. Like I’d have to use it in the final battle but it’d be all moldy by then.

2 Likes

I’m also really enjoying the soundtrack btw

1 Like

my impression from a couple gyms and one of those titans is that this is the least finished nintendo game i’ve ever seen but the mons are cute and none of the bugs have crashed my game so im having fun

8 Likes

it does look like the engine is so unable to handle the character model assets that they applied the worlds most aggressive level of detail optimizations to get it barely playable at the last minute and shipped it. mons all have cute unique animations but if you’re more than an arms length from them you see two alternating frames of it.

those poor devs need a long long vacation and an actual budget and staffing for their vision and nintendo should be shamed for their decisions but hey it’s the games industry, i’m sure reddit will just dox the women who worked on translating it at nintendo usa and call it a day

13 Likes

tbqh this game’s abysmal performance genuinely makes me wonder how far into development this got with the (alleged) Switch Pro as its target before Nintendo (allegedly) delayed the release of it indefinitely last year

2 Likes

Arceus also did the “if you stand at a middle distance from something it aggressively cuts detail and animates between two frames” thing. That game however definitely had more time to polish and it ended up looking kind of cute.

Does feel like the regular switch is simply not the best hardware for this game. But yeah, none of this has disrupted my play. I feel so bad for this team–an immensely fun and playable game with the most obvious visual problems. Cursed by executives probably!!

2 Likes

Playing this on a Lite and aside from some occasional clipping weirdness, texture pop-in and stuttery animations I haven’t encountered anything too bad. I wonder if the lower screen resolution helps?

I haven’t seen anything that’s really registered as “unacceptable” to me, I feel like all the angry nerds out there can chill.

4 Likes

on a similar note, my friend thought they ran into an inexplicable ghost walk input bug and/or software-based joystick decentering (since switch menus all worked fine) but no their pro controller woke up in their bag and connected as player 2

15 Likes

i wonder if you can get even more than 2…

4 Likes

Speedruns in this game are gonna be wild

4 Likes

i started playing this and it seems fine, though i don’t have a real deep critical eye for any of these games (and haven’t even made it to the school yet lol)

i really do like the auto-battling mechanic — feels extremely nasty (in a good way) to be able to mop up a bunch of low-level 'mons in seconds

I made it up to the first town after the lighthouse, told myself “I should probably stop playing soon”, and then this little bucko promptly softlocked me:

i just wanted to talk to him, but nooooo he just made every input on my controller unresponsive (aside from share and home)

i guess the game agreed that i should stop playing

4 Likes

From what I’ve heard, mainline Pokemon games have a strict 3 year release cycle, probably imposed by Nintendo / Pokemon Company to coincide with releases of new card packs, anime series etc. Add to that the fact that Game Freak are possibly not really well equipped for the scale of games that are being asked of them from Sword/Shield onwards, and you end up with this kind of thing.

I haven’t started playing this yet, but the main problem that I’ve seen so far seems to be that it just looks so barren and lifeless. The towns look huge for no good reason, with a lot of copy pasted shops and empty space. Apparently you can’t even enter most houses now, which is a bit of a shame because they were nice ways to be able to present to the player little worldbuilding details about how people lived with pokemon etc

4 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah the big towns bugged me for a while but I now think they are big because you are expected to ride your motorcycle animal in them. IMO they shoulda just not let you ride the Pokémon in them, but the philosophy seems to have been that most of the towns should be seamless with the open world.

It feels very weird in the early game when riding the motorcycle is not that useful… you see so many new Pokémon in the early game that you are more often than not on foot stalking some poor animal

Right now my team is:

• Crocalor
  • Pawmo
  • Gallade (named “Soup”)
  • Mabosstiff (“Banana”)
  • Naclstack
  • Venonat (“Greasy”)
5 Likes

Now I got a hankerin’ for some Greasy Banana Soup

5 Likes

Sadly the recipe system in this game is centered on sandwiches so you can’t craft greasy banana soup

1 Like
8 Likes

i just realized that in the pokedex, when you’re viewing all the records next to one another as book spines, there’s a button in the lower left hand corner of the panel that leads to a bunch of awards you get for completing 10-pokemon milestones in the dex. I had like 18 awards to accept for getting 180 pokemon and I had no idea

3 Likes

Damn I didn’t know either. This game is pretty bad at explaining shit tbh. Which is annoying but also kinda great at the same time.

my new main set of guys, swapped in and out for various purposes, includes

• Skeledirge
  • Still Pawmo. Cannot get this fucker to evolve. (You apparently do it by making them walk 1000 steps with you in the overworld but no meter counts this.)
  • Charcadet (“Germ”)
  • Scovillain (“Trista”)
  • Gallade (“Soup”)
  • Varoom (“Moose”)
  • Morgrem (“Celery”)
  • Garganacl (“George”)
  • Crabrawler (“Eggy”)
  • Espathra (“Veronica”)

My husband helps me name them. His biggest accomplishment so far is a Mudbray named Politiburro

7 Likes