SPAIN POKEMON... YOUR CHOICE: a cavewoman riding a dirtbike or a tron contestant riding a hovercraft.

glancing back and forth between that pic and your avatar :eyes:

5 Likes

11 Likes

Damn holy shit!!! Didn’t notice I was also wearing historic bagel dog hair buns here… something else the Spaniards told me was that this is also the hairstyle that inspired the Princess Leia buns?? I hope that’s true

2 Likes

pokemon designs are funny because they’re all kind of in a creative ballpark where i’m interested enough to check them out but never so compelling that i develop particularly strong favourites

2 Likes

There have been some Pokemon leaks.

Apparently, either 14 or 16 existing Pokemon are getting new looks or typing overhauls because they are “time travelers” from the past or the future. These are called “paradox Pokemon” and they’re basically just regional pokemon like the Alolan/Galar/Hisui forms… but the region is TIME

Hilariously, the most recent trailer… which is some kind of weird Ed Sheeran music video type thing… shows this out of context for a brief, mysterious moment?

Full context here, but there’s gonna be some kind of Donphan future form that makes it look like the angriest robot imaginable. I love how stupid it looks:

5 Likes

Hell yeah now I feel better about preordering

2 Likes

Starter evolutions leaked and I am STOKED

3 Likes

Disaster: last minute realized that I promised to go camping in freezing cold weather in the middle of the desert when the new Pokémon comes out. RIP. Maybe I should bring my switch and pester the family members I am camping with to drop me off at a place with internet so that I can download it while they go to buy hot dogs and jugs of water

It’s gonna be so cold I won’t be able to sit still, though, so maybe all desert gaming is a bad idea

5 Likes

Picked up my copy of Scarlet and I am ready to gaze lovingly upon Professor Cave Mommy and my Sprigatito

6 Likes

I’ve caught a whole bunch of guys including a Psyduck which feels weird for the early going but :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

• Wow, they made me wait a surprisingly long time to meet Professor Sada.
  • The Terrastral Pokemon gimmick thus far is not all that different from Mega Evolutions and Gigantamaxes, etc. The type trickery hasn’t seemed like that big of a deal.
  • Speaking of which, the first gym leader I fought terrastrallized her last Pokemon to make it fit in with the bug-type theme (it wasn’t normally a bug type) and I guess that was neat. But then all it did was get a big power boost and one-shot a bunch of my guys with a fairly basic attack.
  • Game truly seems to be content to let you go do what the hell ever which is pretty nice. Not too much in the way of roadblocks.
3 Likes

My camping was canceled due to family stuff so I did get to play the game a bunch. So far I’m loving the shit out of it. The whole open world deal is a much needed change to the core Pokemon game format, the animals are extremely cute and weird, and a lot of the characters are surprisingly fun pulpy anime bullshit guys. I’m having a great time just wandering around and collecting as many different little dudes as possible.

Huge QOL changes to a lot of the old mechanics and some of the new stuff introduced in SwSh. Raids feel much faster (though I’m only doing easy ones so far). You can auto-heal your guys from the main menu. You can reassign moves whenever. Much less menuing than in a lot of other games.

Reviews mentioned bugs but most of the problems are just performance issues, haha. The game has a very hard time with some graphical stuff but it’s all been ignorable for me so far. You notice it constantly, but I haven’t had any crashes so far and I’m paying more attention to all my dumb little animals than I am to, like, whether the camera clips through the floor during a catch animation on a steep slope, or whatever. I had one actual problem bug where I got transported onto an island in the middle of a small pond with no way off (the game has a very hard time handling battles at the edge of ponds with steep banks) but I just teleported back to the poke mart a hundred feet away and that fixed it.

Anyway I’ve been having a good time!! I named my Fuecoco Hugo and he evolved to have a little hat. I’m very proud of him. I got a weed cat in a surprise trade. I fought one Titan and one gym then fucked off into the wilderness and just wandered for like five hours until I found the ocean and caught the new fucked up type of diglett. Big thumbs up from me so far!!

5 Likes

Also enjoying it so far. Breezy pace (for Pokemon) and the world feels a lot more open with possibility compared to the model village of Sword and Shield.

Rolling Quaxly.

Also managed to get a shiny within an hour which has never happened to me before…

5 Likes

Continuing to enjoy and not really noticing too much graphical weirdness outside of some low-frame animations on NPCs walking around but I find it oddly charming? Sure, the kids in my classroom sitting at their desks kinda move like stop-motion, big deal.

So far I’ve beaten one gym and defeated one Titan and I guess next maybe I’ll take on a Team Star hideout just to even up the progress. Right now my team is:

• Floragato
  • Skiploom
  • Fletchinder
  • Psyduck
  • Stantler
  • Diglett

Being able to just sic your Pokémon on things and if it wins the level/type matchup it just automatically makes the wild 'mon go poof and gets some XP is a marvelous time-saver. Your passive party even gets some XP for those too, which is nice. Makes grinding out a level or two way less of a chore.

3 Likes

Y’all are gonna make me buy a new pokemon game for the first time since…uhhh…uhhhhhhh…i think i bought the ruby/sapphire remake??? Dang that was eight years ago

2 Likes

Just encountered the downside of the “go anywhere” ethos, got my face kicked in by the first Team Star leader I took on. I wondered if maybe their levels would scale with yours and the answer is “nope!” so there’s probably a proper order to do these things in and I’d been accidentally blundering along in the right direction up until now when I chose “wrong”.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I was curious why they were spending so much time featuring the school’s principal in the story if I was just gonna eventually leave the school, and I was delighted to see that he returns to the story by adopting an extremely stupid fake student identity so that he can help you defeat team star, all prep school bullies, in battle. He also shows up in at least one gym test as a straight up Where’s Waldo Waldo

I always admire how kid-logic a lot of Pokémon games are. Not only do teachers have no lives and probably sleep at school, but they also have nothing else going on in their lives at all and are primarily interested in helping you go on adventures, and their solutions to problems are also the same ones children have (defeat a gang of bullies in battle)

4 Likes

Very much enjoyed encountering this random buff lady just chillaxin

9 Likes
7 Likes