Sonic Mania

Just finished this with all emeralds. I think I read that there is supposed to be some tie in with Sonic Forces in the ending? I didn’t see nuthin’.

Unless it is just that egg robot dude?

1 Like

it’s basically just that the guitar riff from final boss theme contains the guitar riff from the sonic forces theme in it and sonic is streaking through anime lines at the end that could be argued is the portal to forces maybe

seems similar to how the time portal from generations led classic sonic into sonic 4 (although 4 came out first in that case)

Played the first four and a half acts this morning. Smiled most of the time, except an unfair crushing in Chemical Plant Zone

I never feel more connected with Sonic than when I’m stuck in a pool of purple water on a slow moving platform thinking “This is too slow!! I have to go fast!!!”

god it feels good to sink my teeth into big new s3&k sized zones i’m gonna plug this dumbass laptop into the tv

2 Likes

kinda real shitty that this game which basically came from the hacking/modding community has pc always needs to be online denuvo shit tho

1 Like

Finally

But I’m pretty sore about the reused zones, cannot lie

7 Likes

yikes, that’s going to lose them some goodwill, I don’t think it was expected in this case, was it?

the delay and the DRM are relatively minor cockups to the PC release but yanno they’d done so much right up to now

tore through it and was very glad to know that my blue spheres muscle memory is still intact for those perfects. now to farm up those emeralds

1 Like

Guess someone fucked up, especially since this is supposed to be mod-friendly.

Like you, we’ve noticed an error in the Steam store not mentioning the DRM for Sonic Mania.

We’re fixing that now.

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we’re investigating reports on that.

We’re also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks

Please bare with us while we collate and investigate problems that are being brought to our attention

1 Like

At least for now and as far as I can tell, no 4:3 support and doesn’t allow low-res via either the ini or menu options. Forcing it to run 427x240@60 via external utility + squishing to 16:9 with monitor controls & joy2key looks and works well enough, though.

Game is rock and roll lazer tight, solid gold.

My fav is the little jump animation when you finish the level.

6 Likes

Update: set the game to borderless window, it will auto center, set your monitor res to 320x240, change window width in .ini to something larger than 427 and height to 240. UI will be cut off, obv; was hoping the game had been designed to keep all necessary stuff a non-widescreen safe area but that doesn’t quite seem to be the case although it has been pretty playable so far.

I was one life away from throwing my controller after a week of frustration and begging someone to remote play into my PS4 to beat Oil Ocean Zone 2 boss for me but then I got it, the system works

To add insult to injury, when you finally figure out how to damage bosses in this game, they all have too much health and lots of pointless waiting in between their cycles.

yeah, the bosses really bring down the game a fair bit

especially metal sonic

last boss was easy as heck though!

I honestly didn’t even dislike any of them until the last one, whom I loathed, and who caused a lot of comorbid loathing

the only boss i really found super annoying was that Spider one posted above, it got really annoying trying to hit that thing into the directions of the spikes and grabbing those spinning pipes and launching into it seemed to only work part of the time. but most of the other ones weren’t that bad imo? the metal sonic one was annoying but once i found out where exactly to stand, it became fairly straightforward.