Sonic Mania

sounds like a combo of cd/heroes/saturn 3d blast special stages

This is lush.

And this is genuinely informative.

There sure is a lot Sonic CD or Sonic the Hedgehog OVA themed vaporwave out there…

4 Likes

years ago on tumblr, there was a post where someone slowed down some sonic music, and it sounded like vapourwave. in the replies, someone sped up a vapourwave track, and it sounded like it could have come from a sonic game.

5 Likes

no wonder there are so many instances of palm trees and monitors

most vaporwave is just “this sega blue skies would be great on molly”

4 Likes

now i feel OLD. Back in my day, speedin up a track lore was all about rick astley sounding like Kiley Minogue and slowing down kiley sounding like Astley.

Yes, i am THAT old. Kinda wish that vaporwave/ware(!?) lore was around back then now…

a neat combo of the 4 original special stages and also more sonic 3 style blue spheres not sure which is “special” and which is “bonus”

1 Like

I’m not the biggest sonic fan or anything but I can’t think of the last retro project that was so obviously going to be good, which is nice

1 Like

so were the blue rings boxes a way to do an in-game restart of the level, probably for time trial purposes?

it’s been a while since i wanted a game this badly

I mean to be fair, this is probably because Sonic BGM AND vapourwave both trace roots back to '80s-'90s jPop. Granted, there’s some early electronica thrown in for good measure, but still.

1 Like

wait is that takenobu mitsuyoshi or like a sound alike

i hope it’s him that’d be rad as hell

2 Likes

oops

1 Like

for that true 90s feel here’s a blurry pic of an unrevealed zone based on a licensing booth at an expo

7 Likes

I’d love if that was actually a photo of Zoop or something

4 Likes

I am genuinely looking forward to this. :>

People have this early so they streaming (when it’s not being taken down) so there are lots of leaks you should probably rocket out of this thread/the internet if you haven’t already I guess lol
WARNING
SPOILERZ BELOW

The intro is another Tyson Heese joint continuing from that commercial

EDIT: official version

That stage that leaked earlier is called Press Garden
Lava Reef and Hydrocity definitely in
The robot Sonic from the Game Gear/Master System version is in here

Seemingly accurate leaks from before indicate there might also be oil ocean and metallic madness

so overall 5 new zones and 8 retro zones and a final zone?

6 Likes

so weird that they’re gonna make what will almost certainly be the least uneven megadrive sonic game, 20 years later

2 Likes

TYSON HESSE!!!

edit: A!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4 Likes