sonic forces is GOTY

these are still the most illegal things to ever happen in an official sonic game tbh

3 Likes

generations modern levels did a good job at creating this kind of twitchy, speedrunning action that gets my brain into a certain, almost rhythm game-like pattern, restarting and playing again and again to get better times, and it came with a pretty strange load out system that gave you certain perks to achieve those better times. it was colorful and upbeat and fun and even though it didn’t feel as tight as it could’ve been, it was still a good time.

the “classic” levels though were trash to play but at least tried with some sort of level design. people liked it because Mania hadn’t come out yet and didn’t fully understand that basically everyone else makes more appealing Sonic Games than Sonic Team

there is a good and goofy Modern Sonic game you can get this year and it’s called Super Mario Odyssey

1 Like

i like em

i definitely enjoy say dino run, or freedom planet, or fancy pants adventure games and other 2d sonic-esque experiences and in no way do i think that generations classic levels (which are all full of tons of hard cutoff points) are the bouncy, free flowing, explorative levels that the genesis games had, but

unlike 3d sonic which i could literally name one hundred games that they should be emulating i think that 2d sonic is a much slipperier thing and that the generations classic levels are more like say a weird offshoot of sonic 2’s shorter punchier zones mixed with a little sonic rush

like they still give me a good sonic-y feeling just a more specific one

i have no problem saying that mania of course dwarfs them by default because they much more successfully synthesized the entire genesis experience and found ways to improve on it

2 Likes

sonic games are a lot like pizza in that pizza was never good but we can all agree on the one correct topping

1 Like

while the sonic forces player avatar’s selectable mmo style grunts and yells are much better than charles martinet’s miserable, shrill, hooting and gibbering, sonic’s zoo crew talking to you non stop is much worse than cappy constantly giving you dumb text bubbles

so in the important “Voice Factor” category which determines the worth of all games, Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces are basically a dead tie

1 Like
4 Likes

I really liked Colours tho

Sega does what Ninten…did? This is real? Holy shit

colors is a blast! fun worlds. great music. really the most uncluttered and best executed version of the modern sonic formula as an overall package

playing the colors levels modded into the pc version of generations is probably my favorite modern sonic game

1 Like

will always appreciate the fact that link is just straight up in a sonic game it’s pretty wild

the whole of Colors was better than Generation in my opinion, but Generations felt tighter and more condensed in its modern levels than Colors

seeing all the creepy avatars shared everywhere makes me think Sega should’ve just released a mobile character maker and uploader (thus becoming the most profitable Sonic related thing in decades)

Sonic '06 was the last forward-looking Sonic game. Well I guess Boom tried, but '06 failed so much better. It’s my favorite 3D Sonic.

Colors, Generations and Forces are so much less interesting to me than the real 3D entries. I wish they’d keep the 2D fanservice confined to the 4s and Manias, so that I could more easily ignore it.

I can see this argument a lot more clearly with Mario 3D World v. Odyssey but it’s not clear to me there’s even a more desirable example of a “forward-looking” Sonic

Have you all played The HedgeHog Google game? Google your name + “the hedgehog” and see what comes up. Here’s mine:

49b03539dd39bcb4f7202e2ade95b299

I have this saved in multiple locations just in case

3 Likes

would you COOL IT with the
GODDAMN LENS FLARE

3 Likes

466463367_69639

10 Likes

Do you want Sonic to give up on 3D?

I like seeing them try to put the non-US Sonic CD intro in playable form, even if they fail spectacularly. Sure '06 was an unfinished mess, like they had this 3D physics middleware and too high a CG budget and someone wanted a big town hub and what if you had to do missions in it too and what if Shadow was driving the Halo buggy and, well they went overboard maybe. Or totally, rather. But it sure was an ambitious mess. It was pretty naive and also kinda brave and it didn’t really feel like they were out to appease the fans, it felt more like a bunch of kids set out to make the coolest fucking Sonic 3D game ever. The dream was still alive back then.

But oh well, maybe I’m just cynical, that’s a real big possibility. At least the soundtrack gives me hope. I’m blasting this on the concert speaker screaming at everyone what a child I am, and it’s fine. It makes me feel like there’s still ways to go, still things left to do, and not just the same things but in less intense variations, but new things and good things. Maybe the future will be better than the past sometimes.

1 Like

I played the Lost World demo on 3DS and thought it was a lot of fun, is that any good? I really like the whole curved world thing.

1 Like