SNExploration 13: Clock Tower!!! Sign up thread

Clock Tower won because, of course it did! No competition.

Clock Tower

Clock Tower is a Japanese only (on the SNES) horror game. It was translated by Gideon Zhi waayyy back in 2001. It’s one of the first translated games I ever played. It received like, 3 sequels I guess. I’m not bothering to google this.

I’ve included the English translation as well as the original Japanese. I’ve also included a new folder for walkthroughs, readmes, maps, etc. so look for that in the ROM pack. The controls are in the translation readme, and there’s a full dang walkthrough in there too.

This game scared the shit out of me as a kid. I only got the worst ending. We’ll see if my old atrophied heart will still be able to feel any of that fear.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Some folks watched Phenomena in preparation for this. I’m going to watch it today, if you want to do so as well here’s a link to a google drive file (thanks @HOBO? I think it was you.)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1hlOisNXxtjTXudKe52KJuP6YSSJqapT3

The Salaryman game is

Super Mahjong 3 - Karakuchi

“Super Mahjong 3: Karakuchi is a mahjong game for the Super Famicom. It follows Super Mahjong and Super Mahjong 2 and offers a similar mahjong experience to its forebears. The player is able to create their own avatar, including portrait and age, and play against various CPU opponents in four-player games.”

That last part has me most intrigued.

The link to the discord is below, which is good for hanging out with us, but ALSO has the ROMs. Find the ROMs in the #resources channel.

https://doodle.com/poll/b4v62934eurmfp7q

I’m limiting the signups to 6 total people, and I hate it but I gotta do it! If there are more than 6 people (including myself and Courier) then I’ll be randomizing it with a bias towards people who have never been on the 'cast before!

Basically I’m going to roll newbies with advantage - everyone else gets one random number, newbies get two random numbers and whichever is better is the one they use. This is the best system I can come up with and it could use work so let me know if you have suggestions!!! I will close signups on Thursday so sign up before then!!!

As a reminder, we discuss the game based on 5 topics, listed below without description:

• Gun
  • Vanity
  • Mystery
  • Poetry
  • Harmony

If you’re recording, please play the main game for an hour or so, and take a couple of notes on those 5 topics.

And for Salary Man Corner, seriously, don’t spend more than 5 minutes on it unless you’re really digging it.

On a personal note, I have realized that this podcast is a lot of work for everyone involved and I just want to say: Thank you! It’s the highlight of my fortnight every time, and I’m really happy that folks around here are enthusiastic about it.

Yo we should do clock tower. Super goal! 2 is prolly better for podcast tho.

I want in on this one!!!

I’m super into the idea of doing clocktower, soccer might be fun but like

clocktower

I’ll make a sign up thread tomorrow, you should def. sign up!!

I’m hoping to actually do this one.

i voted for super goal! 2

fucken shrekt

If you do Clocktower should watching Argento’s Phenomena be mandatory? (well, apart from general-life-mandatory)

4 Likes

Ooh, I know I’m gonna be tempted to do this.

SOMEBODY has to watch Phenomena before the cast. It’s one of my favorite weird-ass Italian horror films. It’s also probably (via clocktower) one of the most important movies to survival horror mechanics.

And the ending is the best.

I mean, depending on when this was recording and if you wouldn’t mind a forum greenhorn like me around, I’d volunteer to be on the cast specifically for the Phenomena commentary.

3 Likes

I’ve seen Phenomena and it is super dope! And I’m in San Francisco this week and I’m gonna go to a screening of it at the Alamo Drafthouse!! Surprisingly timely.

Please tell me we’re recording next weekend (not this coming weekend)!

Despite the accidental shotgun poll, I’m pretty sure we’re gonna stick to the bi-weekly schedule.

3 Likes

Yeah the recording will be on the weekend of the 2nd, I’m not a monster.

1 Like

I don’t speak for Snexplorers but generally the policy for sbcasts has been anyone can come out.

Oh yeah thank you, this is the policy and in fact I encourage people who have never been on the 'cast before to join!

1 Like

oh and clocktower won

4 Likes

This is now a signup thread! Scroll up to sign up

ping @a_new_duck @AutomaticTiger @la_ciel

1 Like

Yes, sign me up!

signed

This was not me but I’ll take credit anyway as Official Founder of Halloween Club. (It was @Tulpa.)

Is there a date for recording? I’m trying to figure out some plans for my weekend and knowing that would help me commit to the podcast.

If I can get my plans figure out (and I probably can) I’d definitely like to be on the podcast.

You can find the date and potential times in the doodle:

https://doodle.com/poll/b4v62934eurmfp7q

But, it’ll be next weekend (the 2nd and 3rd) sometime between 8 and 6 PM (except on Sunday where it’s 8 to 4 PM because I’m doing a thing that day)