SNES ROM SUGGESTIONS

Woah, you are

Dug the version I had, now I need to examine this expanded joint

Wild Guns.

2 Likes

me!

this is an image forum, discourse is dead

1 Like

Gunman’s Proof is like a cowboy version of Link to the Past without the puzzles but with plenty of blackface enemies.

1 Like

What’s up with Terranigma? That used to the big SNES game to emulate.

I’ve been looking into some of this, especially since as a kid I always wanted to play Illusion of Gaia. Now I am. Don’t think i’d be going back to Soul Blazer but Terranigma intrigues me.

I really like IoG so far, it’s a fun RPG without a painful FF battle system.

I guess Terranigma never came over which is weird because I thought Gaia sold well enough? But it’s on a lot of ‘top’ lists.

Araiguma Rascal
(The) Great Battle IV (& V?)
Arcana
Shien’s Revenge
Alcahest (translation optional)

1 Like

Has anyone said Super Turrican? Because that’s clearly the best SNES game.

The PS Vita game includes a good port of the original, it seems to have less slowdown then the original.
So if you want a portable version, that’s the one to go with.
Otherwise the original is still the best.

Super Turrican has a great soundtrack.

As someone who really enjoyed Prince of Persia and Out of This World hence am prone to enjoying the more cinematic of platformers… I really hated Nosferatu. Clunky movement, bad combat, cool setting but it was just actively poor to play.

terranigma is cool

Soul Blazer is pretty repetitive but i still really enjoyed ducking into it for an hour after playing IoG and Terranigma. I don’t want to say it’s purer but it’s interesting as a much more stripped back take on the same processes

Smart Ball
It’s a platformer.
You play as a ball that can cling to walls and ceilings.
It kind of feels like a PC Engine game.

1 Like

The games with the best music are invariably the best games overall.

1 Like

Worth mentioning that the Konami version of Prince of Persia on SNES is an expanded game, doubling the time limit, dropping you in strange levels beyond prisons and palaces and even adding in boss fights.

1 Like

Most of the things i really like on SNESFC are RPGs, aside from the obvious FFs and EBs and CTs there are a lot of great obscure ones like Robotrek and Mystic Ark. Poke through the list of aeon genesis translations and you’ll turn up some great ones (i’m especially partial to Live-A-Live and Metal Max Returns). They’re all early-mid 90s RPGs w/ the attendant weaknesses, of course.

Drakkhen is not a good game but it is an AMAAAAZING game

beloved games that no one seems to talk about anymore:

Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack!

Kirby’s Dream Course

6 Likes

the DS version has many tasteful expansions on the old game and is overall probably the superior version, but im the weirdo who kinda prefers the original. To me the main attraction of the game is the Table Mountain quest, and it’s considerably toned down in the remake – drops are more standardized, monsters are easier, and you can backtrack along the first 1/2. None of that’s egregious but it does make the lovely evolving main path feel more like the obligatory “normal playthrough” that you beat in order to get to the “real” postgame.

Anyway it belongs on a best-of-SNESFC game list as much as the re-release belongs on a best-of-DS list

1 Like

Super Aleste/Space Megaforce is one of my favorite Compile joints and the music is pretty ace too.

Yeah, all you have to say is Compile.

Omit needless words.

It is terrible