SNES ROM SUGGESTIONS

I have to jump to this one faster than I would of liked given how lively the NES thread has been.

But @GlamGrimfire is having us do a SNES cast next week and I think this would be good prep, and let me talk a bit more about why I really like the SNES over the NES. Though I think the ‘why’ is obvious.

The link to be in on the cast is here: https://selectbutton.net/t/snes-podcast-thread/2507?u=godamn_milkman

I’d lead off the suggestions with going beyond the obvious ones. Sure we can talk about the best entries in Zedla, Mario, Metroid, Kirby for awhile, and I’d love to but I think some games need some love from the forefront.

There has just been some ports of the old Disney games, and Aladdin is still among the tops for gorgeous games on this system, showing this clearly wasn’t just a cash in.

The Donkey Kong country games are still some of the best platformers, and while they look a bit dated now, they still set the bar in several respects.

If you haven’t played EVO search for Eden please give it a whirl, this evolutionary game is a concept I would of sworn would of been stolen by a newer game by now but hasn’t. Pretty cool.

I’m not sure Secrets of Mana and Evermore are still ‘known’ to anyone that doesn’t remember the good old days. But these are some fun slash through for story games.

Mega Man X 1-3. The best MM games.

Turtles in time has ‘bury my shell at wounded knee’ and pirates, and lasers, and flying cars.

those are all pretty obvious yeah

i should get an SNES romset again one day before i die

The SNES version of Prince of Persia is a unique version of the game that has about twice as many levels as the original one, so for fans of the game it is much worth checking out.

I have absolutely no idea if the SNES version of Jurassic Park holds up, but I found it to be an interesting game back in the day. It’s basically a top down Zelda-like with dungeons that are actually FPS levels, and they were smart enough to actually let you use the SNES mouse for said sections. I’d be surprised if those sections were tolerable at this point but I’d kinda like to revisit the overworld some day.

Saturday Night Slam Masters is my favorite wrestling game from that era as it is basically a dumbed down Capcom fighter with great looking characters. It has a Capcom sprite version of Vader, so obviously it is a great game.

It was never the most complex strategy game but I enjoyed Aerobiz Supersonic as there weren’t exactly a ton of multiplayer strategy games available back then. The times I got to play it with others it got more heated than one would anticipate as putting low fare flights on your opponent’s most profitable route to undercut them was almost always not appreciated.

So… one of those games probably is still fun to play.

1 Like

Uniracers is the best sonic game.

2 Likes

I am well known on the forum as #1 Dragon View Fan. My forum title ought to be #1 Dragon View Fan.

2 Likes

Scanning the wiki and pulliing out these:

Wario’s Woods is a cool puzzle game that could go in either thread. Mostly I’ve played the Nes version (via nimal Crossing) though.

UN Squadron and Scrambled Valkyrie and good horizontal shooters.

Gundam Wing is a real nice and gorgeous fighting game.

Metal Marines is a tactics game with mechs and animes

Unirally is excellent.

The Firemen.

Someone else’ll have things to say about Majuu Ou, Umihara Kawase, Brandish, Metal Max Returns and Demon’s Crest I reckon.

I always want to mention Ball Bullet Gun but then I think I remember that it’s not so hot. Or maybe it is!

Pac Man 2

1 Like

Pac Man 2 is a weeeird game. Slingshot of motivation.

Biometal
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Hagane: The Final Conflict
Plok
Pocky & Rocky
Pocky & Rocky II
Super Chase H.Q.

Pronounced “hagain”

3 Likes

You’re all banned for not mentioning Live A Live.

2 Likes

I could never get into Uniracers

The end.

• S.O.S. / Septentrion - 2D precursor to Zettai Zetsumei Toshi (Irem/Granzella Disaster series)
  • The first Actraiser is historically interesting.
  • CT is very obvious but Radical Dreamers not so much. A text adventure on the SNES
  • Cameltry
  • Pilotwings
2 Likes
  • Metal Warriors multiplayer (still fun even after you discover how unbalanced it is)
  • Majuu Ou
  • Seconding Live a Live. I need to go and finish it someday
  • Harvest Moon
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Goemon)
  • Umihara Kawase (there may be better versions in other platforms by now)

here come dat boi

Seconding Gundam Wing: Endless Duel. Ganbare Goemon 2 on SFC is a sweet little platformer. Tetris Battle Gaiden is also nice if you’ve got friends to play it with.

hagane is like a mega drive game that somehow came out on the snes instead
metal warriors is a valken-alike with a hilariously unbalanced deathmatch mode
front mission gun hazard is the best valken-alike
gundam wing endless duel is the sequel to mighty morhpin power rangers: fighting edition (this is a good thing)
majuu ou is a cool action game with cool graphics
i used to know people with near-religious devotion to seiken densetsu 3
pop n twinbee: rainbow bell adventure is very pretty, play the fan-translated jp version though
final fight 2 is a good game if you play it on hard mode

1 Like

Huh, what’s the major diff, it’s a straight up platformer with no talking?

the jp version has a super mario world-style semi-linear map with secret stages and different routes and things, the western version is more linear. (i’m going by old memories but i’m pretty sure that’s right?)

Cybernator, Clock Tower and Nosferatu.

so uh who wants to talk about these