Tom's Hardware of Finland

HOLE IN THE SCREEN

I love samsung so so much

2 Likes

why is the world like this

oh yeah as keyboards came up in haley’s laptop thread i remembered this

it’s cool that we’re getting to a place where there are 10 and 12 and 14TB consumer hard drives available (which are almost bottlenecked by sata 3, which rules, even if it’s obviously just for linear reads) but they are so expensive, like unless you can only fit a single drive in your use case it is not at all cost effective to get >4 in a single drive.

1 Like

nothing below 12tb is enough for me anymore

1 Like

I’m very heartened by storage dropping in price and cheap nVME controllers coming to market but also… it’s just going to keep getting cheaper lol

This ($80 nVME 512GB) is a no-brainer for folks who built systems with tiny OS drives in like 2013-2015, though.

I still haven’t had a need for an OS drive bigger than 256g but if you’re stuck on something smaller than that and actually have an M2 slot then heck yeah

(relatedly this was why I was glad to find that there’s widely available mSATA 1TB Samsung drives on eBay for like $200 now, I was sick of being the last one to load the match with ultra textures on in siege and that’s pushing the limit of what I’d be willing to spend on storage, was my only open slot of any kind, and couldn’t previously justify having games on SSD space.)

1 Like

the reason I was excited to see such high linear read speeds on these 12T drives is because my mSATA slot is already only SATA3 and I can’t see that needing to be faster for games so I can see a future where I move them back onto a spinning drive

I love that being the slowest loader is a thing. I haven’t felt the need because I’m usually the first to spawn in Destiny but the prospect of having an SSD big enough to not “manage” is tempting once prices get to a no-compromise position.

Intel had an event today that amounted to “10nm is finally coming to notebooks next year and it’s good, expect a significant IPC and graphics boost from our next architecture and we promise not to fuck up this bad again”

1 Like

This is great news. The caps on my 2013 MBP are making funny noises and when it dies, I want whatever I replace it with to amount to more than a GPU upgrade.

I saw “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” on my new computer and opened it out of morbid curiosity and it opened a browser window to show me this video:

oh my god

3 Likes

“Premium” is $14.99 a year and the reviews are full of retirees complaining about making an Xbox account.

If this isn’t the goddamn Microsoft apotheosis I don’t know how they top it

3 Likes

yeah, the nice thing about this is it seems like we’re getting the long delayed tick and tock at the same time. Seems maybe too much to hope that it’ll ship in a new Macbook chassis since apple apparently wants to go to ARM by 2020 but I can’t imagine Intel failing to deliver at this point, so we’ll see.

Even better, it’s a zeitgeist project based on a company-wide initiative Microsoft abandoned before launch, leaving a handful of products chained to a crippled monomania

The most Microsoft of fates

2 Likes

I’m imagining that no one outside of the Solitaire team even knows that this 90s-ass ad exists and they burned a ton of time on it.

OTOH why can I get a Fable-themed skin for my cards and not a Halo or Gears one, do better Microsoft

1 Like

Undoubtedly it’s Fable Legends synergy, which at the time of Solitaire’s release was going to be a big crossover PC/console game (only, the concept was bad and the game was bad, so)

Synergy with a canceled product is extremely Microsoft

3 Likes

My favorite Microsoft moment ever is when they showed the Gears crimson omen at E3 only to reveal it as a Funko Pop game before showing Gears-COM and Gears 5: Now Starring The Interesting Woman.

Surely that was coming around to trolling and not just oblivious corporate culture???

1 Like

Phil Spencer is much better at understanding the messaging thrust of E3 press conferences but even he has other departments who want stage time which he needs to please.

And it’s similar to Blizzard’s accident with Diablo mobile; it’s an overlapping but not quite the same audience, so it’s imperfectly targeted in a conference like this. Beyond that, the past year has re-ignited the politicization over mobile-style design methods in premium games after a several-year truce. I think everyone is adjusting to how much bile has surged and is re-calibrating a correlation between internet volume and number of consumers that represents. (and of course we can always reiterate that fan culture is just the thinnest-skinned, most anxious and angry culture imaginable)

1 Like

The MTX/mobage/“content” quantity outrage is so tantalizing because they’re close to a moral understanding of why capitalism straddles creators with these bad incentives/compromises but they blame it on the company or a particular person they found on LinkedIn or mobygames instead of the market. They’re even turning on Steam/Gaben but can’t see why. It’s like the Qanon followers who don’t see the One True Conspiracy Theory (capital gonna capital) in front of their noses because it’s too banal next to a fantastic pushpin-and-string collage.

This time last year I was at a memorial service seated with an off-the-shelf liberal Reddit guy and it baffled me how mad he was about Battlefront II, a game he neither played nor wanted to play at any point. I said I’d played a bit of it and thought it was fine and frankly dazzling next to the old Pandemic Battlefronts that I played as a kid. It just looped back around and around to being entitled to be Darth Vader. It’s the curse of all Star Wars games. (He was also mad that the service contained ecumenical religious readings because the deceased was a boomer atheist and I’m like, dude, if you’re an atheist and materialist, can you just let the mourning have this?)

It hurts to watch my friend play Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and think about the blood, sweat, and tears compromised by an unholy union of The Witcher and Dynasty Warriors to pad out the grind. I hate that to be an indie dev means accepting personal/familial precarity and we can’t have a proper diversity of voices without commensurate commercial audiences.

2 Likes