Tom's Hardware of Finland

apparently docker and vmware player (not virtualbox) can coexist on windows now without having to reboot in between doing different kinds of virtualizations so that’s good

it’s still elaborate and dumb but uhhh getting there

1 Like

I got a laptop with a thunderbolt port and I’ve been thinking of getting an external hard drive to install games on because games are too dang big nowdays. Is a thunderbolt drive worth an extra $50 bucks over a regular usb drive? Google hasn’t be helpful in trying to compare gaming performance between the two.

USB3 basically can’t bottleneck a spinning drive

Well I guess that settles that. Not like I’ll find a a cheap thunderbolt SSD. Thanks!

10 Likes

I may have a 486 SX or DX still somewhere around, at my parents home. My trusty DX4-S, that i won’t part with, hopefully still works… better check that this christmas and report back, huh!

so since my laptop at work decided it didn’t like my SDD any longer (thankfully it gave some indication that sth was amiss, so i was good with backups, and most things are stored on our servers anyway, so that worked out fine), i had to finally do an upgrade to win10.
I had put that off for months until we winged our live demo and could finish this project at work, so now I finally can start updating all applications, looking for replacements, finding out what doesn’t work anymore etc. etc.
Most important of all tho, catching up on that WSL thing @Felix talked about itt(?) a while ago.

While waiting for office, outlook etc to finish the ever so slow update/installation party, I was wondering how they are doing it™.
These “appx” files are actually zips, and there’s a nice tar.gz’ed filesystem. That’s surely going somewhere on the platter, and yes, it went into the [user] > AppData > Local > Packages > [distro flavor of your choice] folder that seems to house the whole file system.

Regarding the applications, i have a theory that maybe they did sth with the coreFX work they done a while ago, and constructed some kind of .net/C# abstraction layer? Gonna see whether I can take a look at a sample application with a hex editor to find out more about how they’re doing it.

Spoilers?

1 Like

i guess i still want to look at a binary before reading this, to end a year long draught…

evidently the “hardware” fixes for spectre/meltdown are 0% better than the microcode patches to date:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13659/analyzing-core-i9-9900k-performance-with-spectre-and-meltdown-hardware-mitigations

which is another reason not to wait for any massive improvements in desktop CPUs I guess, notebooks notwithstanding

(they are rumouring historically large cache increases for Ice Lake which along with finally going to LPDDR4 should be an effective 10% IPC boost at last but who the hell knows if they’ll ship it before Apple has ARM macbooks at this point)

microsoft wants to be google as much as google wants to be microsoft:

1 Like

Wow, so we’re really getting close to one web standard again, huh. I’m not aware of any outstanding issues with Edge; it seemed that the issue was that they were still in mindshare debt from the hole they dug with IE 6-9.

2 Likes

same

Not really, since Chromium is banned on iOS

1 Like

really not looking forward to working around 3 subtly different implementations of webkit + firefox

tbh fuck google for forking it and not contributing anything back in order to screw over apple, love having my job made harder by corporate bullshit

1 Like

are blink and webkit that different these days?

(probably yes)

KHTML for life

i pick firefox just to be contrary

2 Likes

there are some JS APIs like service workers (useful for offline support and caching) that webkit is way behind on.

basically google puts way more resources into this stuff, writes the standards, implements & ships first (often before any standard is finalized) and shares their work with no one. if this was MS, Apple, and Google all contributing to the same browser core and competing on UX and ancillary features (adblocking, fancy bookmarking schemes, etc) i’d be totally fine with it

1 Like

Well, Google would be out when it came to adblocking,… OK, all but their own ads would be blocked, true - nevertheless, as long as it is “for free”, we won’t get rid of the arms race of blockers and tech against them.

Which is why i still cling on to firefox…

remember back in 2013 when apple was still talking to google and nvidia

that was nice

1 Like