Share and talk about your visual art

I’ve started posting a regular weekly webcomic on my Twitter feed under the terribly bad name “Friday Comix.” It’s whatever I feel like drawing and I’m trying to spend less than an hour on drawing and assembling them (I’ve been doing a lot of strips where I reuse parts of images). It is mostly an attempt to draw ideas that are stuck in my head or try to capture something bout how my brain feels.

Anyway, here’s the first four, the only ones that exist:

But Imma keep making more. Already drew next week’s but it was too similar to last week’s, so I came up with another one, lol.

11 Likes

fuck man :star_struck: at this rate imma be hitting you up for commissions

It you got anything you want, feel free to. I’m always looking for more practice.

1 Like

10 Likes

i wanna share my art here more! here’s a bunch of favorite stuff from my instagram from the past few months

15 Likes

that’s some very cute and styled art ya got there. :slight_smile:

alsoo i’ll share somethin; a gif of a little game I’m making. ’ v ’
GIF

22 Likes

16 Likes

your explosions are A-tier

5 Likes

i’m going to be away from my “work” pc until mid-november, so working on art and stuff is on hold until then. but i did manage to get a small voxel thing done late at night.

11 Likes

sp'lunkery

14 Likes

Hell yeah, ferrets. You trying to make a game?

1 Like

Not a dude

and yes, me and flakie are making it.

2 Likes

HE’S ALMOST READY FOR SOME SERIOUS SPELUNKING

guh

accidental 1-frame ledge cancelling that i’m totally keeping in:

SECRET%20TECH

16 Likes

absolutely keep that ledge forgiveness in, it’s key to all platformers post-, er, Spelunker

2 Likes

I 100% hate coyote time, but I am good w 1f ledge canceling.

2 Likes

It’s completely unintentional, but yeah I’d like to keep it.

You have to turn around on the same frame that you enter falling state, which makes you land inside the corner, and the collision correction theoretically would only kick in in that kind of situation. Everything besides the single pixel of a corner just has perfect collision

1 Like

The other thing I’d do is not invalidate the jump button until a short time has passed (100-250ms, it’s been long enough that I forget but if you play around with it you should find something that feels good).

And when you’re trying to tell if you’ve got it, run it on something with non-negligible display latency (like a TV not set to game mode) (if you care about that as a worst case) – here, that time you spend in forgiveness can be waiting for the first frame to reach the player’s eyeballs.

1 Like

We already have a whole input buffer worked out. The love2D engine runs at the vsync rate, and we have an imitated fixed 60fps for updating on screen

The input buffer was specifically introduced so that an input must be held for at least one update frame to be registered.

1 Like

@flakie did the entire input buffer and frame rate system and I’ve been helping direct it. I’m really impressed by their work and really proud of our project

1 Like

Sounds cool, I love the amount of stretch you’ve got in the jump without interfering with crisp speed or hitbox readability.

Interesting, can you explain the theory behind this? I usually look for ‘button down’ and ‘button release’ and track the state of digital buttons in code, and respond to most discrete things as soon as I get ‘button down’.