SelectButton Teaches Typing

I’m still dealing with thumb tendonitis, and I’ve come to realize that my incredibly stupid and idiosyncratic style of typing is making it worse. I learned to type real fast by playing too many Warcraft 3 custom maps in high school, and now my form is terrible! Does anyone have any tips or resources to learn proper typing technique?

I’m this close to trying to get Mario Teaches Typing to work in Windows 10.

i never use my pinkies when typing am i hurting myself more

When I was in about 5th grade, one of my friends called me to consult the Babbage’s catalog and tell him if Mavis Beacon was hot or not.

4 Likes

I used https://www.keybr.com/ when switching keyboards, it’s fine, free, does spaced repetition

2 Likes

mavisbeacon

5 Likes

i want know a lot more about the genesis of the mavis beacon character now

1 Like

It’s not an isolated thing!?

This is how I learned to use a Kinesis Advantage in a day.

Epistory is also neat if you want a cute game wrapped around it.

Pinkies are overused on standard keyboard layouts - they’re the weakest finger but tasked with ctrl/shift/alt/tab. Skipping capitalization is probably less strain!

@OneSecondBefore look at this layout and imagine that each finger is tasked with its column:

(Index finger covers the inside column as well.)

An ortholinear layout would force you to use the right finger, but it’s also applicable on a staggered layout.

A lot of gamers use index finger for C when you should curl your middle finger down, for example.

1 Like

I use my ring fingers in place of the smallest fingers when typing. i’m not sure when i started doing this, but it was probably when this girl i knew gave me shit for my “weak” fingers.

Mavis Beacon is a queen who can get it

3 Likes

i dont use shift for caps i only use capslock

i never cared about not using my pinkies cuz i type so damn fast

its my phone that’s fucking my hands up more probably

1 Like
2 Likes

meavis beacon teaches dating

1 Like

I think a really hard aspect of (re-)learning typing is that all the games/programs I’ve seen focus primarily on speed and errors, not technique. Because technique is pretty much impossible to teach without being on the outside, watching the hands move. If you’re decently fast, it’s easy to burn in bad habits. I’m awful at using my right-hand pinkie and ring finger to hit punctuation because I’m fast enough.

If you’re really intent on improving your typing skill, try to focus almost exclusively on how your hands are moving. Go very, very slowly and value using the correct finger over everything else. If you’re already a reasonably fast typist, all the speed stuff in fun games will be worthless because you’ll be hungry to go fast and you’ll let yourself get sloppy so you can get that high score. Or maybe you won’t, but I am weak, and I know I would.

If money isn’t a huge issue, it could be worth buying a new keyboard, too. You might be able to find one that is easier on your body because of its layout/key mechanics, and switching keyboards could help – but I’m just spitballin’ here – with trying to re-condition your reflexes because it’s already a new thing you have to learn the feel of.

Also, Typing of the Dead is fucking sweet. (Or at least I thought so 15 years ago when I played it on a Dreamcast.)

4 Likes

my wife uses the home row and all the proper fingers for every key and it’s sickening

anyway she hates how I type (it’s very stupid tbf) so probably i don’t have good advice.

Although if it’s your thumb, try…switching thumbs for the spacebar? You also might want to get a different keyboard that has less resistance on that button specifically. I had issues with my thumb hurting when I had a busted space bar that only worked when I hit it dead center so maybe that could help.

hyping typing of the dead. it rules.

3 Likes

Yeah, the original, not the Overkill one, totally rules.

But also, I wish my fingers were at all small enough to be able to type properly. It just can’t happen on a normal keyboard, and I have learned to adjust to that.

get a big keyboard you carry around, and whenever you need to type, you just be like, “nah, man, my shit is custom”.

1 Like

I think I actually had hands that were too SMALL to type properly when I was a kid. That would explain why I hated typing lessons in the elementary school computer lab so much.

My issue right now is that I use my thumb for way more than the space bar. In my current typing style, my fingers rest on the top row of letters and I use my thumb for the bottom row of letters. It’s real dumb.

I saw this site recommended online, gonna give it a shot: https://www.typingclub.com