selectbutton 85 pt. 23: semifinals

current bracket here:

https://challonge.com/cbh5dyr4

outrun 2 vs. doom / doom ii! it may seem unfair that outrun 2 goes against 2 games but imo outrun 2 as an entrant also includes outrun 2 sp, outrun 2006 coast to coast, etc. so really the dooms are at a disadvantage here

ANYWAYS

• outrun 2
  • doom / doom ii

0 voters

about 3 days to vote for the 3rd place game! the winner will face katamari damacy in the ~final matchup~

5 Likes

Grit will prevail

DOOM

I choose labyrinths over laps. Mazes over motorways. Secrets over scores.

I trust a trail of corpses more than I trust a trail of hearts.

8 Likes

I checked my old nominations and I did indeed have Space Harrier on there—so I’m really walking the walk here. Space Harrier is better than Outrun, and Outrun 1 is better than Outrun 2 (and Outrunners is the true Outrun 2).

Gotta go with Doom.

1 Like

I say none of the Top 64 (85) should be in the running next time around. Get weirder. And taking out The Most Popular Games Even Among SB allows that.

And still sad ZeroRanger didn’t make the bracket. That’s the new classic I should have campaigned more for.

6 Likes

I did manage to get TGM2+ into this list and hopefully that inspired a couple of posters to do co-op Tetris.

Wait can we do co-op tetris with fightcade?

Yep!

1 Like

My next list will definitely have Night Stalker (Intellivision) and Catacomb 3D (DOS) or similar 3d maze game.

3 Likes

Or maybe go so far as to disqualify anything that made it past the nomination phase. In fact, it might be interesting and relatively easy to just pull a second list from the same nominations, starting with the first one that didn’t make the cut last time. Or is that too boring?

Looks like five of us nominated Space Harrier back then.

4 Likes

Outrun 2 because I enjoy Doom but Outrun 2 is by far the more interesting option and for it to come this far feels like a duty to play.

I think renomming with the caveat that greatest hits are off the table might skew noms to be on the weird side. As always it’s a tug between personal and democratic picks.

All games that received more than one nomination are removed from the list - all weirdos mode

that means that The Soundtrack To Kingsway would have a second chance. One day I will convert at least one other person.

2 Likes

I love both of those games!!!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see my beloved Soleil get matched up with some Cave shooter or the like and get completely demolished with just one vote (mine)

3 Likes

I voted for Doom even though I’ve barely played it as it didn’t kill my beloved Souls games.

When you think about it the nightmare of Mensis is “avoid the UFOs!”

This has always been my position but the nominations would fall way too easily into degenerate strategic thinking. Gotta fool people into giving regular nominations and then tell them about the rule afterwards

1 Like

Do you remember nominations last time? Marina alone nominated 1000 games.

oh yes please i kept sitting out of the votes coz i felt i didn’t know any of the games well enough but it’s easy to watch something for a couple hours and have a thought or a feeling

1 Like

labyrinths over laps

Why not both? Getting lost in DooM can be joyful with these, I like sussing out the map while running laps to keep enemy spills circulating

2 Likes

Clearly someone has not played Outrun ever.