selectbutton 85: a little less sixteenth round, a little more "voting"

this week is all losers. current bracket here. voting is now open and will last for one week.

• Chrono Trigger
  • Ico

0 voters

• Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario 64

0 voters

• Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
  • Deus Ex

0 voters

• God Hand
  • Resident Evil 4

0 voters

• F-Zero GX
  • Final Fantasy VI

0 voters

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Silent Hill 2

0 voters

• Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
  • Quake

0 voters

• Puyo Puyo series
  • The Legend of Zelda

0 voters

VOTE

9 Likes
  • I like Chrono Trigger, but definitely ICO.
  • I don’t care for 3D Mario, so definitely Super Mario Bros. 3.
  • Final Fantasy VI, which I’m happy to get to vote for this time. (I only like the SNES F-Zero game.)
  • Super Mario Bros. vs. Silent Hill 2 is a tough one. Which game have I thought about more over the years? Which would I replay right now were I to replay one of the two? Which would I never play again if I had to choose? I’m really not sure.
2 Likes

how dare you call my precious children losers (except for mario 64)

6 Likes

if you see me refer to a category that includes nocturne as losers you know it isn’t personal

6 Likes

Chrono Trigger
SM64
God Hand (Mikami Fist/comedy/schlock vs. Mikami Gun/horror/schlock = Fist wins)
F-Zero GX
Silent Hill 2
Quake
The Legend of Zelda

Feel like I should abstain from Deus Ex/Nocturne since I plan on playing Nocturne soon.

1 Like

This is it. Deus Ex isn’t coming back from this one. Not on this forum

11 Likes

puyo puyo vs Zelda
Popping the fuse to a decent sized chain is more satisfactory than Zelda 1 poking and more fulfilling than any character progression imo

ico cause jrpgs suck.

sm64 cause the only 2d marios i like right now are smb 1 & lost levels.

nocturne cause jrpgs are amazing.

re4 and god hand are so very close to being the same game while being worlds apart. re4 tho.

f-zero gx cause i finally finished ff6 and i’m sorry

sh2 becuz horror

shiren could be better than quake but i don’t know if i’ll have time to explore this before votes are over

puyo puyo cause that isn’t dark souls

5 Likes

Chrono Trigger
vs.
Ico
-Ico (Chrono Trigger is on my play one day list. Ico is insanely special.)

Super Mario Bros. 3
vs.
Super Mario 64
-Super Mario 64 (Confession: I never really got that in to SMB3.)

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
vs.
Deus Ex
-Deus Ex (Tough choice, but I’m going with the game that blew me away at a younger age here. Also, Mac port before OSX.)

God Hand
vs.
Resident Evil 4
-God Hand (RE4 is amazing, but it has a few scripted sections I loathe. Every minute of God Hand is pure joy.)

F-Zero GX
vs.
Final Fantasy VI
F-Zero GX (Blue Skies™)

Super Mario Bros.
vs.
Silent Hill 2
Super Mario Bros. (Wesley Snipes Crying.jpg)

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
vs.
Quake
Quake (I love Shiren, but Quake DM with Aphex Twin playing is an experience I’ll never forget. Also infinite maps to play on quaddicted.)

Puyo Puyo series
vs.
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda (I really suck at Puyo Puyo. The Legend of Zelda was pretty much the only “RPG” type of game I could stomach as an impatient kid.)

5 Likes

Chrono Trigger
SMB 3
Deus Ex
God Hand
F Zero GX
Silent Hill 2
Quake
Puyo

1 Like

Its the losers bracket after all the interesting games have been winnowed out anyway, who cares

1 Like

don’t be rude tulpa

1 Like

oh I just think this week’s poll is gamefaqs tier, I think all of these games are good but talked about way too much. There’s literally no contests to look forward to anymore. It’s just the problem with game popularity contests; the least interesting options win.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned doing this again in the future and excluding all the games that ranked which would be cool. I wonder if it would be interesting to choose the next group by least amount of votes (excluding zeroes probably) so that we’re debating over games that have niche appeal to us and require more nuanced pitches and investigation, idk. This has been fun though and thanks for running the brackets, bracket runners.

6 Likes

These were released 7 months apart

11 Likes

I am gonna vote for…

Ico (love it)
SMB3 (these may be the two most overrated Marios but I had more fun with 3)
Deus Ex (insane story generator > that many jrpg battles)
RE4 (I finally clicked with God Hand last year; RE4 is still better)
don’t know re: FZGX vs FFVI
SMB (Silent Hill 2 is just a lesser Silent Hill 1)
don’t care re: Shiren/Quake
Legend of Zelda (never cared much for Puyo Puyo)

as someone that has never liked Ico very much since I turned on my ps3 anyways I loaded up Ico. I have a save at the last save point…which is significantly far from the end.

After playing Balan (lol) and 20 years of games since Ico I really appreciate what Ico is doing. It is creating this big Place. A prison that may be necessary. A boy to stupid to not fight fate. It is a game from 2001 so you push boxes but it has maybe the fastest box pushing in video games.

It does a better job with the castle than Last Guardian which after your 11th tower you really wonder what any of this was for.

Every single indie Ico inspired game would go on to open with “Where Am ?”

1 Like

Can I just say that in the past 6 months I’ve really reconsidered my nintendo-liking and I think that these polls kinda triggered that

Like I get kinda mad every time rudie says “don’t vote for anything nintendo” because it’s reductive but also 95 percent of nintendo games are actually pretty fucking boring?

The gameboy camera is wonderful because it’s actually very strange and fights against it’s limitations but I’m at the point in my life where I prefer something much weirder than SMB3 or whatever.

Anyway ive just been dwelling on this

8 Likes

I swear our age cohort’s relationship to Nintendo is solely buoyed by BotW.

There’s a gigantic wave of Nintendo fans that grew up paying for ROMs on the Wii that terrify me. (e.g. Scott the Woz on YouTube, who “ironically” complains about New Play Control box art and preordered Wii Sports Resort)

5 Likes

honestly i play a lot of mario kart 8, but yeah my goodwill for nintendo is basically that and BotW right now. seems like other folks like splatoon but i’ve never played it.

1 Like