Scratching that itch(io)

I loved this VN:

I loved it so much I wrote 1,000 words about it, at the risk of making my straight white male ass look stupid:

Also, I’ve been enjoying games by John Thyer lately and really liked Fugitive:

3 Likes

Catt Small makes good stuff.

1 Like

I just discovered her and am gonna hafta dive into her other work.

1 Like

I just discovered Heather Flowers and am enjoying goin through her ludography (gonna treat myself to Extreme Meatpunks Forever one of these days).

This is my favorite so far. It’s lovely. I felt compelled to write about it.

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Breaker is a new game by the creator of the excellent Roguelight (and many other things).

At first glance, I thought I’d have a hard time with it, but on my second attempt I at least topped the default high score list. The bosses appear to be randomized, and some have fun patterns.

I also tried Glass Staircase, but I’m not quite ready to offer an opinion on that one until I revisit it. (As soon as I picked up the gun, I shot it a few times, wasting all of the ammo. I died shortly thereafter, not realizing that it was possible to reload. I still don’t know how to reload, but I saw someone do it in a video.)

4 Likes

i made a new game

https://aquanauts-holiday.itch.io/dream-tripper

4 Likes
1 Like

You know, not bad for a first try

Pretty similar to how my first run turned out

i think this game looks super cute

i played a little bit of the demo he has up and i love the battle perspective

7 Likes

this game is intensely beautiful i played for like 2 minutes in the browser and don’t want to touch it again until it is done wowzers that battle screen those text popups that music

2 Likes

Same! I’m a little worried because it’s almost halfway through the KS time and and it isn’t halfway to its goal. Maybe someone with some stroke will give it a push somewhere where more people see it because damn yeah I want it.

2 Likes

Hasn’t been linked here yet but: Richard Hofmeier’s games on itchio are really good. Type Dreams released recently, and I like the red robot korean game too https://hofmeier.itch.io/type-dreams

1 Like

I just stumbled upon Tamashii, and I’m enjoying it so far. It’s a horror-themed puzzle platform game. It’s also discounted right now, and the itch.io purchase includes a Steam key.

I couldn’t help but think that this is something @Dracko might appreciate, but it looks like I’m a few months late to make a recommendation.

2 Likes

i made a new game based on the sg-1000/msx1 aesthetic!

7 Likes

Just want to pop in here to say that selling games on itch.io sucks major balls. You get almost no views. If you’ve got no advertisement it’s probably only good for the few people who see your game on Steam, google it and find out it’s on itch too, so they spite-buy it there

I’d agree that itch has a discoverability problem. I don’t sell my games because I put them up all for free, so my frustrations I’m sure look different from your frustrations. (Also, your game’s an adult game, right? I’m sure that hurts it even more.)

Itch’s market is also, I’d imagine, still probably largely comprised of other game creators. There is some amount of a dedicated user base (I haven’t looked for anything on the Steam store in years, but browse and purchase on Itch frequently, though again, I’m also a creator and I’m sure there aren’t too many like me), but it is tiny, tiny, tiny compared to Steam’s of course.

That said, can games without an advertising/PR push do that well on Steam anyway?

None of that is to say that your complaints with your experience aren’t valid, of course. Itch is intentionally something different. Sorry you’ve had such a sour time with it.

2 Likes