Scratching that itch(io)

these are all Amon 26 games. Amon 26 is someone who is cool and makes horror games for the computer with old school graphics. Some of them are bad “to play” but exercises in mood and atmosphere.

This is probably the best one.

This is hte prequel:

They don’t make horror games anywhere. I hope they are doing better now.

2 Likes

I’m the weird gamefreek whose only actual exposure to the current battle royale gaming fad is this free online browser game:

It’s… way more fun than it should be. This kind of game design translates surprisingly well to 2D.

2 Likes

I’ll play that Anna Anthropy and the luvcraft game when I get a chance. Nice thread

1 Like

Possibly my favorite Bitsy game to date. I wrote about it this one.

Thank you for posting this. I understand this genre now.

1 Like

Several of my favorites have already been mentioned, such as Strawberry Cubes, Au Sable, WilliU, Bernband, and Combo Pool. Here are a few more:

Roguelight

I think someone around here recommended this one when it was new, and I enjoyed it.

Memory of a Broken Dimension

This is one that I already recommended in the old forums, but it’s worth mentioning again. Apparently, there is a more expansive version coming out eventually.

Glum Buster

This is one that I’ve always liked (and I know the creator).

Baba Is You

This has come up in other threads. It’s clever and fun.

5 Likes

Oh hey, Glum Buster, I remember that game. I will also vouch for it.

Memory of a Broken Dimension will probably never get better than that initial demo; as he expanded it he made of more cognizable and this detracts from its primary confused exploratory sense. Still very worth experience (especially if you put yourself in your 2013 shoes!)

It looks like it would be wild in VR!

Yeah Glum Buster is tops

Scatches that Knytt Stories itch

god remember Knytt Stories

1 Like

I never super got into Knytt Stories but a lot of people are still making Knytt Stories levels. Some of them look pretty neat!

play Uurnog! Nifflas is still making neat things

https://4eversgames.itch.io/uurnog-uurnlimited

1 Like

Fuck!

Especially you, Brooks – Uurnog is a synthtoy platformer

I keep forgetting that qrostar games are on itch now.

This is a non-puzzle, micro-sized game (it is serious about the chapter one part, even with a few deaths you’ll likely beat it in twenty or so minutes). Still it is a fun thing to screw around with, I once compared it with Corrypt and apparently that might not have been a coincidence.

2 Likes

Not one, but two games about Morse code

2 Likes

I bought Beat the Art Breaker over the weekend because it looks like my long sought dream game. It’s a third person 3D beat em up with a Godhand style over the shoulder camera and big chunky simple sprites for the characters and textures. While you can dual stick the controls, it’s also mapped for a simple SNES Faceball/Doom D-pad and shoulder buttons approach. I was working on a third person Quake mod for ever built around that control scheme but I never got further than a camera plug-in and making an off hand melee button that actually had a slashing range of attack.

I haven’t really gotten the flow of the game yet. I’ve been more exploring the map and getting my ass kicked in places I’m probably not supposed to be yet. The game reminds you (or perhaps boasts) that there’s no save system so I’m not sure if it’s a work in progress or you just have to approach this like an NES game (which is fine with me).

It’s sale page claims that it’s a rhythm game, so I’m not sure if I just haven’t picked up on all the combat system ins and outs yet (there’s some kind of bar that ticks down once you get a hit in) or if it’s one of those clicker style gimmick things that totally changes formats half way. I really hope it’s not the latter because I love what it’s doing out of the gate.

5 Likes

V. IMPORTANT NOTE THE WAY THIS GAME MODELS TEMPERATURE CONTROL IS NOT ACCURATE TO REAL LIFE BLADESMITHING DONE BY A FROG BEWARE!!!

I’m sorry :frowning:

5 Likes

The frog smith’s problem is that if they heat the metal too slowly they don’t notice when it’s finally hot.

10 Likes

I regret to inform you that I am a self parody and so must now share that in fact the problem lies more in the timing of the cooling esp. the rapid cooling ;___;

3 Likes