sb 64 pt. 7: loser's bracket ii (voting ends nov 20!)

I think I like the ‘soul’ of what Warioware is more than Metal Slug overall but Metal Slug is undeniable.

1 Like

Y’all keep sassying on Sonic when there are an equal number of Mario games and you really want to end this list with Super Metroid, Mario 3, and Half Life 2?

7 Likes

wasn’t the entire point of this experiment to prove that we are not immune to doing this ourselves

1 Like

Have actually been playing resi remake and it is terrific, nice to be able to vote for it right now

4 Likes

a shot at redemption

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 1.04.03 PM

7 Likes

re: Sonic: I had a bunch of Sonic in my list but the only one of those that got in was Sonic Mania so don’t look at me

1 Like

I’m assuming the FF14 crew are asleep right now, because those results are very surprising otherwise.

Alright but only if you can jump as well

i will fight you in twinkle star sprites

12 Likes

Gunstar Heroes

9 Likes

FFXIV is a worse shoot them up than Gunstar Heroes

4 Likes

IDK it’s kind of sad if the only reason Mario 3 or whatever doesn’t win is because we don’t want to look like normies

I’m sure something like Katamari can crush any IGN top 10 game anyway

7 Likes

i’m voting for games i like or are more interested in not against games i don’t want on an arbitrary list

edit: i think this’ll be an interesting list no matter what but it does mildly bum me out actually really aggravate me when people are like “don’t care about [x] game just don’t want [y] to win” spelling it out like that makes this feel competitive in a way i find tiresome and not fun

6 Likes

Mirror’s Edge :pray:

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to post in every bracket but the whole concept of time has eluded me lately. Anyways, I’m here now.

Outrun
vs
Super Mario 3D Land

I don’t enjoy playing Outrun. I love the concept behind it but it’s too stiff to feel comfortable in. I’ve never played it at an arcade so maybe that’s what would make a difference. If it were Hang-On or Power Drift, I’d give the nod to them, but it’s not.
Super Mario 3D Land reminds me of very primitive memories like gnawing on a teething ring. It’s comforting in a very simple way.

Donkey Kong '94
vs
Mirror’s Edge

I’ve played Donkey Kong more recently and I’ve heard so many people say that Mirror’s Edge doesn’t live up to their memories. I love how you can circumvent so many of the platforming challenges in Donkey Kong by doing handstand jumps, backflips and rope spins. It’s really amazing how detailed the moveset is on this tiny game.

Umihara Kawase
vs
Rez

I’ve never spent a significant amount of time with Umihara Kawase but I’m more excited about getting good at it than I am about getting good at Rez. Losing in Rez feels terrible. Being good at Rez doesn’t feel that good either. The levels are too slow and barren until you finally get to a boss that spikes the difficulty like a volleyball into your face.

Gunstar Heroes
vs
Final Fantasy XIV

I know Gunstar Heroes is a great game and I have played it with a friend. I love Treasure on the Genesis. But for me, it’s a game that I can only play with maybe one person that I know likes it. I’ve never played Final Fantasy XIV, yet if I did, I would have so many people that I could meet and talk to.

Streets of Rage 2
vs
Deus Ex

I’m more excited to play Deus Ex for the first time than to play Streets of Rage 2 for the 10th time. My one friend that I played Gunstar Heroes with played Deus Ex and he’s been wanting me to play it for years. I’m a bit scared because it is very much a PC game and I’m just a Genesis boy, but I’m willing to grow.

Resident Evil
vs
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Resident Evil is a series that my older brother is obsessed with. They are his games, not mine. They’re really good, but after watching him play so much of them, I don’t know if I can enjoy them completely. Also, I can’t kill Sonic.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
vs
Yakuza 0

I’m gonna kill Sonic.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
vs
Contra: Hard Corps

MGS is another series that belongs to my brother. BUT, he could never play Hard Corps as good as me. I finally saw the rest of the game last year by exploiting save states and it’s beautiful how abrasive it is.

Earth Defense Force
vs
Everybody Votes

Mother 3
vs
Minecraft

I’m more excited to replay Mother 3 than to try Minecraft, but I will watch any SButtonite stream their choppin’ and blockin’.

WariorWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
vs
Metal Slug 6 (Metal Slug 3 Romhack)

She’s not in the first game, but whatever.

7 Likes

maybe we’re just not an 80s arcade type of forum, but outrun never felt stiff to me (with the analog arcade controls, at least - some of the lesser home ports, sure). the real sensation from outrun, imo, is that of merciless speed, of being sensationally invited to a charming place, but succumbing to the temptation to fuse pedal and metal and to eject myself into the horizon by way of a meddling palm tree

7 Likes

is outrun a proto Wife Game

2 Likes

I think I’ve only experienced Outrun in an inferior, digital form and I’d love to play it on original hardware. Yet, there is a mountain of arcade racers ahead of it that I’d rather seek out first, from Sega Rally Championship to Ridge Racer to F-Zero AX. I admire it for defining the spirit of SEGA but there’s so much that has built on it and retained what made it special.

Outside the frame of this thread but I think my favorite arcade racer is now Rave Racer. Hope they still have it if I ever get to Hey again.

2 Likes

Wow, the screen shake on this is intense. I wonder if I’d get motion sick playing it.