sb 64 pt. 7: loser's bracket ii (voting ends nov 20!)

still waiting on the results of the warioware / lsd tiebreaker melty netplay set… but here’s the next bunch of games for the loser’s bracket!

• OUTRUN
  • SUPER MARIO 3D LAND

0 voters

• DONKEY KONG '94
  • MIRROR’S EDGE

0 voters

• UMIHARA KAWASE
  • REZ

0 voters

• GUNSTAR HEROES
  • FINAL FANTASY XIV

0 voters

• STREETS OF RAGE 2
  • DEUS EX

0 voters

• RESIDENT EVIL (2002)
  • SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

0 voters

• SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES
  • YAKUZA 0

0 voters

• METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER
  • CONTRA: HARD CORPS

0 voters

• EARTH DEFENSE FORCE SERIES (DEVELOPED BY SANDLOT)
  • EVERYBODY VOTES

0 voters

• MOTHER 3
  • MINECRAFT

0 voters

also, a late entry:

• WARIOWARE, INC.: MEGA MICROGAME$!
  • METAL SLUG 6 (METAL SLUG 3 ROMHACK)

0 voters

voting ends the 20th!!

5 Likes

This is the only one I have strong feelings about, and lemme tell you about how much Minecraft rules,later when i have more time

3 Likes

All of this Sonic to crush.

2 Likes

Can we save Rez this time?

6 Likes

I need to make a point of writing things down this time!

1 Like

Got my work cut out for me. Don’t want MGS3, Mirror’s Edge and certainly not our only Yakuza rep to get knocked out.

1 Like

yeah what is this bullshit

5 Likes

OUTRUN
vs.
SUPER MARIO 3D LAND

Super Scaling Flipping Sound Sound Shower Car all the way. Super Mario Lands should have hopping ghosts and Jason Vorheers, and I’m pretty sure 3D Land has neither, nor did it do a good enough job distinguishing itself from the other Wii, DS, and 3DS Marios to even make a mark in my memory despite those being my main consoles those generations.

DONKEY KONG '94
vs.
MIRROR’S EDGE

Two jumpy games. I don’t mess with EA games newer than the Genesis so I gotta give it to surprise puzzle platformer Mario, despite that being a very dirty trick to play on people coming off of the purity of Super Game Boy Space Invaders.

UMIHARA KAWASE
vs.
REZ

Rez is a game so good that I nearly forgot you could have sex with it.

GUNSTAR HEROES
vs.
FINAL FANTASY XIV

You don’t have to pay a monthly fee to experience the greatest 16-bit boss ever, Seven Force (unless you’re fighting him in Alien Soldier on the Sega Channel).

STREETS OF RAGE 2
vs.
DEUS EX

Play this and tell me at 1:37 you’re not feeling the best you’ve ever felt

RESIDENT EVIL (2002)
vs.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

Resident Evil is a landmark PS1 game, and ought to be experienced like that, not the remake. Sonic had three decent games, and 2 is the only one to achieve greatness.

SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES
vs.
YAKUZA 0

I guess Yakuza 0, even though I’ve yet to get around to any of those.

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER
vs.
CONTRA: HARD CORPS

Awww, given the weirdness where one version of Hard Corps is way too hard, I’ll give it to Snake Eater.

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE SERIES (DEVELOPED BY SANDLOT)
vs.
EVERYBODY VOTES

I kind of feel like all EDFs is a bit of a cop out, and Everyone Votes was such a weird thing to take part in. Even still I gotta go with EDF.

MOTHER 3
vs.
MINECRAFT

Minecraft was just never my thing. Meanwhile I bought a flash cart off a shady website as soon as that translation hit for Mother 3 (which I still haven’t finished, yikes!)

8 Likes

I don’t agree with this, even though I prefer the original game. I think REmake help set the standard for what a remake should be, it still looks amazing thanks to excellent use of lighting, it’s difficult, it’s tense, it’s spooky, the threat of spawning a Crimson Head means you need to be a lot more careful about what zombies you kill because you only have so much kerosene to burn zombies, it has a whole bunch of cool extra modes like invisible zombies and a zombie strapped with C4 that comes after you but will cause an instant game over if it touches you. Original Resident Evil is like Evil Dead to REmake’s Evil Dead 2. It just objectively does almost everything better. It loses its American B-horror movie feel, but the more serious tone really helps with the much spookier atmosphere. Or maybe it’s more like Dawn of the Dead vs Day of the Dead. Dawn of the Dead helps relieve the tension with light-hearted moments and goofy music and it feels more slap-dash, whereas Day of the Dead is tense almost the entire way through because you have all of these people at odds with each other underground, there is no time for a light-hearted romp around the mall. Original RE feels more like Dawn of the Dead, and REmake feels like Day of the Dead in terms of tone.

The only thing about Sonic I can defend is the music. As a kid, I found the speed frustrating.

This shit Jams harder than anything in Resident Evil REmake, though.

6 Likes

I’m on time this time!

Outrun v Mario 3D Land

It’s Outrun since I haven’t played enough of 3D Land.

DK '94 v Mirror's Edge

Abstaining. I never realised at the time DK '94 was a fully fledged thing and Mirror’s Edge just made me ill.

Umihara Kawase v Rez

I don’t want to vote against Umihara Kawase but Rez was a brilliant experience. And I will do it in VR one day when my ass is ready.

Gunstar Heroes v FFIX

Co-op experiences always win with me, so Gunstar Heroes and its wobbly dice game take it here.

Streets of Rage 2 v Deus Ex

Like I love Deus Ex and its multi-branching gameplay + story and I’m hankering to revisit it. But there are no kickboxers who scream while doing big jump kicks so Streets of Rage 2 on mania mode in co-op wins.

Resi Evil (2002) v Sonic 2

If I’m going to revisit one of these it’s Sonic The Hedgehog 2 every time. I did play the shit out of it but…Resi has aged a lil bit much??

Sonic 3 & Knuckles v Yakuza 0

I still love Sonic 3 and Knucks for its epic scale and execution but I’d vote Yakuza 0 for the billiards alone. I love a good billiards minigame and it’s really well done. Well, good enough for me. I would boot the game up solely to play billiards.

Metal Gear Solid 3 v Contra Hard Corps

I really though Contra was just silly hard. Past the point of fun hard. Or too twitchy and visual effects getting in the way. Metal Gear Solid 3 is actually kind of hard to play compared to more recent games but it’s so stuffed to the gills with shit it always offered new things to find. And take your time.

EDF v Everybody Votes

Democracy will never die until everyone realises its limitations, but pizza v burger is a never-ending fight. So Everybody Votes for me (but not for me).

Mother 3 v Minecraft

Minecraft does have infinite legs. And it’s successfully split from affiliations with its awful creator, making a lovely inclusive affair. And it’s edutainment.

6 Likes

I think it’s more like Evil Dead 2 vs the Evil Dead remake here.

It looks great, and the extras are cool. But the original brought a whole now core genre into the mainstream and was unlike anything else consoles at least had seen.

1 Like

yo, yall ever hear that deus ex remastered they did a few months ago? check it out. they go ahead and do that shit and you gotta put 'em up against streets of rage 2? every time I talk about the games in any of these threads I just start babbling about the soundtracks. it’s not my intention, but hey, why not.

4 Likes

Here’s the tier list:

No horse in this race tier

OUTRUN vs. SUPER MARIO 3D LAND
GUNSTAR HEROES vs. FINAL FANTASY XIV
Wish I had time to play FFXIV. It seems really cool and someone recently explained the appeal of Emet-Selch to me.
RESIDENT EVIL (2002) vs.SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

Simple Wins tier

MOTHER 3 vs.MINECRAFT
Minecraft is a force for good in a more meaningful way than Mother 3 can ever be.

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE SERIES (DEVELOPED BY SANDLOT) vs. EVERYBODY VOTES

STREETS OF RAGE 2 vs.DEUS EX
My penitence for the first round of the tournament. Deus Ex is pure and ugly lightning.

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATERvs. CONTRA: HARD CORPS
MGS3 is a game of great moments. They were either expertly crafted or I was lucky enough for them to resonate with me just so.

Help me resolve this stalemate tier

UMIHARA KAWASE vs. REZ
I like both and both are very unique games! I crave opinions.

Elaborate speech prepared tier

DONKEY KONG '94 vs. MIRROR’S EDGE
Well now, I’m not gonna talk about Guns. In fact, we’re not gonna talk about Guns at all, we’re gonna keep them out of it.

Yes, DK’94 is a really cool Trojan Horse but I can’t hide how spiritually aroused I am by this aesthetic:

me9-small

Fuck EA, but they published some excellent stuff in the 2000s and early 2010s. Mirror’s Edge being probably the most unusual thing they sanctioned. It is that rare game that makes it out of the publisher’s factory; unbidden and unfettered.

SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES vs.YAKUZA 0
It’s goddamn Yakuza! I associate Sega more strongly with Yakuza than Sonic at this point. I’ve never been able to remember the plot of a single Yakuza game from start to finish. I have often wondered if this is because the storytelling is poor (I don’t think so necessarily). I think it has more to do with how Yakuza just blends its content to the point where my memory of it is a pleasant myriad. It’s a real bouillabaisse of elements many of which are silly but give rise to something persistently flavourful throughout. Despite its focus on organised crime the series seems to have a broader appeal thanks to this as well. That in itself is not remarkable but it has ended up reaching an audience that is rewarded by the many motivations that one might bring to it.

All the minigames and various ways in which the game asks you to interact with it can be extremely mundane (ordering a burger is a pretty hollow interaction) but when placed together the whole suite resonates. Yakuza 0 is probably the biggest and boldest version of this that has the freedom to make more liberal use of its time period as a way to stew the bouillabaisse’s flavour more strongly than later games do, and without the bloated layering of 4-5 playable characters.

6 Likes

Outrun vs SM3D Land
i just think any outrun is cooler than a post sunshine mario game

DK94 vs Mirror’s Edge
the slightly better one of the pretty good platformers

Umihara Kawase vs Rez
gotta be fair and say i’ve never played rez but i love the aesthetic of it. isn’t this that y2k thing people talk about? it just looks and sounds great. i love looking at rez enough to doubt my love for the fishing line.

Gunstar Heroes vs FF14
only one of these games is possible for me to play, so if ff14 is actually super amazing i’m sorry

Streets of Rage 2 vs Deus Ex
i actually only played the ps2 version of deus ex very briefly, got bored and frustrated and never booted it again. so maybe my view is unfairly skewed. but also, sor2 is one of the greats so it might not have mattered

Resident Evil 2k2 vs Sonic 2
i vote horror. and while i understand loving original resi as it’s own different thing, i definitely just like 2k2 more. i LOVE the remade mansion with all of the intricate decoration, and gaudy luxury and absolute decrepitness and moody lighting. i said it before, i want to haunt this place. :ghost:

Sonic 3&K vs Yakuza 0
gonna marry kiryu and majima

MGS3 vs Contra: Hard Corps
since mgs2 moved on i guess that makes it easier to just pick contra

EDF vs Everybody Votes
honestly i never got the appeal of everybody votes? i’m just not interested in these kinda trivia stats and how many people do what

mother 3 vs minecraft
i actually haven’t played minecraft proper with other people, so i feel left out of what it should be like. it’s also just too expensive for me to get into right now. playing a friend’s copy of dqb2 i’ve figured out i might love it tho? i love improvising buildings, and the thought of making those on a server where people might explore and find them out in the wilderness is nice

mother 3 made me cry like 5 times so i’m voting for it, but i might swing around to minecraft depending on what people have to say about it

7 Likes

More voting against Sonic than for anything in particular this round

3 Likes

This is the one time I voted for Sonic!

1 Like

This time it’s

• Outrun
  • Rez
  • EDF

for me, and I’ll probably leave the others blank. I think this will be the first time I haven’t voted against a Sonic game, just because I don’t have a strong opinion about those matchups. This round has made me notice the inordinate number of Sonic games taking up slots, overall.

2 Likes

Yeap!

And no New Zealand Story

6 Likes
4 Likes

Wah :frowning_face:

4 Likes